U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:31 AM

4,120 posts, read 5,155,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
To be honest, I'd probably be anti-American if I encountered Ameriscot too.
Oh gosh, I'll cry myself to sleep tonight.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-02-2013, 11:34 AM

22,256 posts, read 26,806,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Oh gosh, I'll cry myself to sleep tonight.
Well that wasn't my intention, but thank you.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:35 AM

60,421 posts, read 48,793,664 times
Quote:
Just because you have not encountered many negative comments doesn't mean no one else has. Everyone's experiences are not exactly like yours.
REALLY????? You're kidding!

Who knew?

Oh well - many people see what they WANT to see and disregard the rest.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
REALLY????? You're kidding!

Who knew?

Oh well - many people see what they WANT to see and disregard the rest.
You really should read your own posts. Saying 'oh please' implies the previous comments are BS. And stating that you are a 'polite traveler' implies that those who encounter anti-Americanism are not.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
You really should read your own posts. Saying 'oh please' implies the previous comments are BS. And stating that you are a 'polite traveler' implies that those who encounter anti-Americanism are not.
I do read my own posts, but thanks ever so for the advice.

I think that anti Americanism which creates rude responses from locals towards Americans are highly exaggerated in most cases. You know, I've lived in Europe and travel there pretty often - if such reactions were commonplace you'd think I'd run into them on a regular basis, and sorry but I just DON'T.

And I do think that negative reactions from locals toward tourists (any locals, anywhere toward tourists from anywhere) are more common when the tourists are rude or thoughtless or obtuse. And American tourists in general are no more guilty of that behavior than any other group of people.

You may or may not have ever been pregnant, but you know the old saying that when you're pregnant, or want to be pregnant, that you see pregnant women everywhere? Or whey you buy a particular type of car, all of a sudden you see it everywhere? Same thing applies to what we see in other people and expect from others.

Some people EXPECT negativity toward Americans. Some people even WANT to see that sort of negativity because it affirms their own opinions. Those sorts will generally experience or note more negativity than people who don't expect it or think it's inevitable, or believe it's justified.

I go into situations confidently and with a positive attitude, and with respect for others that is evident in my demeanor. Therefore I don't experience much negativity in my daily life, or in my travels. Not to say it has NEVER happened, but it's so rare that I usually find it humorous.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:51 AM

14,870 posts, read 19,635,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ83 View Post
What countries visited had an Anti-American flare? Give examples please.
They are usually too scared to show off their "Anti Americanism" too our face so it won't be easy to answer.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I do read my own posts, but thanks ever so for the advice.

I think that anti Americanism which creates rude responses from locals towards Americans are highly exaggerated in most cases. You know, I've lived in Europe and travel there pretty often - if such reactions were commonplace you'd think I'd run into them on a regular basis, and sorry but I just DON'T.

And I do think that negative reactions from locals toward tourists (any locals, anywhere toward tourists from anywhere) are more common when the tourists are rude or thoughtless or obtuse. And American tourists in general are no more guilty of that behavior than any other group of people.

You may or may not have ever been pregnant, but you know the old saying that when you're pregnant, or want to be pregnant, that you see pregnant women everywhere? Or whey you buy a particular type of car, all of a sudden you see it everywhere? Same thing applies to what we see in other people and expect from others.

Some people EXPECT negativity toward Americans. Some people even WANT to see that sort of negativity because it affirms their own opinions. Those sorts will generally experience or note more negativity than people who don't expect it or think it's inevitable, or believe it's justified.

I go into situations confidently and with a positive attitude, and with respect for others that is evident in my demeanor. Therefore I don't experience much negativity in my daily life, or in my travels. Not to say it has NEVER happened, but it's so rare that I usually find it humorous.
Who said it was common? Not me. I said I've encountered it in England. And I've lived here 13 years, almost all of that time in Scotland but I do visit different areas of England often.

Stereotypes have their roots in fact and Americans do tend to be much louder than other nationalities. Makes me cringe. And it's very annoying to other people. Can't count how many times I've seen the rolling eyes and sarcastic looks when Americans on the tube in London speak so loudly that the entire car hears every word.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Who said it was common? Not me. I said I've encountered it in England. And I've lived here 13 years, almost all of that time in Scotland but I do visit different areas of England often.
Did I accuse you of claiming anti Americanism is common?

Quote:
Stereotypes have their roots in fact and Americans do tend to be much louder than other nationalities. Makes me cringe. And it's very annoying to other people. Can't count how many times I've seen the rolling eyes and sarcastic looks when Americans on the tube in London speak so loudly that the entire car hears every word.
It's rare to find Americans who could possibly be louder than a bunch of drunk Scots or Brits. And I've seen plenty of that boorish behavior when traveling. I guess that's why there's so much truth to all those stereotypes as well, huh?

Plenty of eye rolling in their direction from all in close proximity - Americans and locals alike. Such behavior makes me cringe too, and is very annoying to other people, regardless of whether they're at home or abroad. I'm sure many of the same eye-rolling people that you've observed showing their distaste for "loud Americans" would show similar distaste to their own locals who are rolling around and hollering in a drunken stupor - and they get to see that sort of behavior pretty often.

I guess it's easier to be judgmental of others than it is to see our own faults as others see them, isn't it? I'd say that's human nature and it isn't confined to any one ethnic group or country.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Did I accuse you of claiming anti Americanism is common?

It's rare to find Americans who could possibly be louder than a bunch of drunk Scots or Brits. And I've seen plenty of that boorish behavior when traveling. I guess that's why there's so much truth to all those stereotypes as well, huh?

Plenty of eye rolling in their direction from all in close proximity - Americans and locals alike. Such behavior makes me cringe too, and is very annoying to other people, regardless of whether they're at home or abroad. I'm sure many of the same eye-rolling people that you've observed showing their distaste for "loud Americans" would show similar distaste to their own locals who are rolling around and hollering in a drunken stupor - and they get to see that sort of behavior pretty often.

I guess it's easier to be judgmental of others than it is to see our own faults as others see them, isn't it? I'd say that's human nature and it isn't confined to any one ethnic group or country.
Totally untrue. Many people get loud when they are drunk. Americans are loud when they are sober.

And BTW, Scots are also British, so using the word Brits to mean only the English is not strictly correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.