Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 05:41 PM

159 posts, read 511,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical View Post
America basically is a country with third world problems but with first world cities.
I'm guessing you know next to nothing about third world countries if you consider the US to have similar problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 06:33 PM

263 posts, read 808,995 times
Quote:
America basically is a country with third world problems but with first world cities.
What does that even mean? Many cities in the "third world" are better than what you find in the US. I'd rather live in a place like Curitiba than almost anywhere in the US to be honest.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:37 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
Name one problem that is just as bad as third world countries.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:06 PM

827 posts, read 865,867 times
Am i the only one who think this division in first and third world countries is poor?

For example, Norway and Portugal are both first world countries, also Chile and Uganda are both third world countries, but they are all too much different.

Maybe a classification from first to fifth or sixth world countries would be more realistic.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:20 PM

39 posts, read 53,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Poor healthcare. Quality health care is basically for the rich. If you want any kind of healthcare pray to god you are employed while you are dying of cancer or whatever.

The crime rate in quite a few American cities are comparable with central-american hellholes like El Salvador too. So i'll throw crime rate in with with healthcare.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:00 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
Poor healthcare. Quality health care is basically for the rich. If you want any kind of healthcare pray to god you are employed while you are dying of cancer or whatever.

The crime rate in quite a few American cities are comparable with central-american hellholes like El Salvador too. So i'll throw crime rate in with with healthcare.
Lol are healthcare isn't nearly as bad as healthcare, our crime rate isn't as bad as third world countries either please el Salvador is way worst.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:45 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
Am i the only one who think this division in first and third world countries is poor?

For example, Norway and Portugal are both first world countries, also Chile and Uganda are both third world countries, but they are all too much different.

Maybe a classification from first to fifth or sixth world countries would be more realistic.
1st to 4th makes more sense, that would make Norway 1st world, Portugal/Chile 2nd and Uganda 4th.

1st World:
Non-Islamic Countries with GDP (PPP) per capita of at least $25.000.

2nd World:
Countries with GDP (PPP) per capita of $10.000 - $25.000 +
Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Oman, Brunei.

3rd World:
Countries with GDP (PPP) per capita of $3000 - $10.000.

4th World:
Countries with GDP (PPP) per capita below $3000.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:24 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post

Yeah maybe the division is not very accurate sometimes or whatever. I think it is only about numbers, statistics, etc.

For example the countries you mention Portugal and Norway, both 1st world and both Europeran, I don't really think that life is very different from one to another and I don't mean in a cultural way, but in Health system, education, IDH difference is not sooo big. Only in numbers.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:39 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
Quote:
Income inequality, gun-related crime, drug abuse, religious fundamentalism, etc. Access to quality health care and education for the poor is not on par with other first world countries either but I wouldn't go so far as to call it third world.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:47 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,738 times
Quote:
Public Healthcare
College Education
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World