Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 01:13 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times

Advertisements

So i was just lurking a local info page and found this: ¿Cuáles son son las ciudades más feas del mundo? | Lugares | minutouno.com

so i searched the source, and found it to be this:
THE TOP 10 UGLIEST CITIES IN THE WORLD

This page does a lot of TOP 10 cities ranking, and decided to do a TOP 10 ugliest cities in the world. Kinda harsh, huh? specially with 3 american cities (and LA among them!) in the TOP 10 of ugliest cities! Im shocked to see Mexico placed at 2!

Of course this is one site opinion, but what do u think about the ranking? do you agree? what do u think about so many american cities among the ugliest in the world? what do you think about mexico city there? and LA? Have you visited any of those cities?

I ve visited LA and it was certainly underwhelming and soulless, but im not sure i will put it in a "top 10 ugliest cities" in the world, that seems a bit harsh. I would put it in a "top 10 more dissapointing cities" thats for sure.

What about the other cities? have you visited them?

what would be your ranking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 01:26 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,573 times
I think many cities have beautiful areas and ugly areas. Even Paris, frequently regarded as the most beautiful city of the world (and I agree), has some ugly regions.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I love these things

10 Most overrated tourist attractions -- #3 = Las Vegas
10 Grand Boulevards of the world -- #5 = Las Vagas Boulevard
Make up your minds.

One gets a sense of how moronic these are, when you click on 10 Most Beautiful Countries, and get 6 European countries, USA, Australia, Brazil and South Africa. No China, no India, in fact no Asia.

Having said that, I agree with their choice of Guatemala City as the ugliest city in the world, maybe given some competition from Lima, Peru. Dakha, Bangladesh, ought to be in there somewhere.

They list Amman Jordan, which could not possibly be any uglier than Baghdad and Cairo, which are perfectly flat, and Amman is at least located on hillsides, which allows for a lot of good urban view perspectives and winding curvy streets. Katmandu is a genuinely ugly city, tempered only by its exotic flair.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-03-2013 at 02:53 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 02:48 PM

588 posts, read 795,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I love these things

10 Most overrated tourist attractions -- #3 = Las Vegas

10 Grand Boulevards of the world -- #5 = Las Vagas Boulevard

One gets a sense of how moronic these are, when you click on 10 Most Beautiful Countries, and get 6 European countries, USA, Australia, Brazil and South Africa. No China, no India, in fact no Asia.
LV was also on the list of ten most exciting cities. Incidentally, Tokyo was not on that list, which makes no sense to me.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:26 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Funny thing about that website as well is that they put Los Angeles as #10 on a list of ugliest cities, but then if you click on their guide to Los Angeles they say:

Quote:
Joining the world-class entertainment and art scene is a growing number of extraordinary restaurants and dazzling architecture. Frank Gehry's concert hall is reviving downtown, and new hotspots are reinvigorating once run-down areas of Hollywood.
Oh, so I guess what "dazzling architecture" there is in Los Angeles isn't enough...

Los Angeles isn't the most attractive overall city, but it does have some nice neighborhoods. Parts of Hollywood towards the hills have some beautiful old architecture. There's a lot of older buildings around downtown Los Angeles that could be recognized as very interesting architectural gems if there was only more investment in those areas--which there is increasingly--though there's a lot of areas like Broadway in downtown LA with beautiful old theatres some of which have been repurposed for other uses or some remain empty. Downtown LA has a lot of potential and even somewhere like Westlake(which is a fairly rundown neighborhood) has a lot of interesting residential buildings. A lot of LA remains interesting despite the architecture, like the Koreatown area, which has some older buildings that look good, but a lot of development from the 70s and 80s that's fairly bland. All in all though, I've seen much uglier cities around the world than Los Angeles. Some of the most interesting architecture around Los Angeles is in neighboring cities like Pasadena.

Mexico City as well is a city that isn't architecturally spectacular through the entire city--but some neighborhoods are very interesting in terms of cityscape. The old historic Centro, places like Polanco or Roma or the southern neighborhoods like Coyoacan or San Angel all have their charms. I can think of other cities that have nice neighborhoods but overall the cityscape is a little bland once you get further out...

Old 09-03-2013, 03:48 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Wow, harsh!

Old 09-03-2013, 07:02 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
While I'm sure most of those cities are ugly, there are literally thousands of cities around the world that are just as or even more ugly. No Eastern Europe, no China? There are hundreds of cities within the US just as ugly as Houston. LA? Give me a break. It really depends where in LA, but parts of LA are really quite gorgeous.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
So i was just lurking a local info page and found this: ¿Cuáles son son las ciudades más feas del mundo? | Lugares | minutouno.com

so i searched the source, and found it to be this:
THE TOP 10 UGLIEST CITIES IN THE WORLD

This page does a lot of TOP 10 cities ranking, and decided to do a TOP 10 ugliest cities in the world. Kinda harsh, huh? specially with 3 american cities (and LA among them!) in the TOP 10 of ugliest cities! Im shocked to see Mexico placed at 2!

Of course this is one site opinion, but what do u think about the ranking? do you agree? what do u think about so many american cities among the ugliest in the world? what do you think about mexico city there? and LA? Have you visited any of those cities?

I ve visited LA and it was certainly underwhelming and soulless, but im not sure i will put it in a "top 10 ugliest cities" in the world, that seems a bit harsh. I would put it in a "top 10 more dissapointing cities" thats for sure.

What about the other cities? have you visited them?

what would be your ranking?
What about LA disappointed you specifically? What were you expecting that you did not find? And which parts of LA did you see?

Old 09-03-2013, 07:12 PM

I just saw their list for 'top 10 best food cities' and no mention of Singapore. Yep, it's officially BS lol.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
These lists are ridiculous. I don't even read them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World