Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city's CBD feels bigger/busier: Sydney's or Toronto's?
Sydney 39 52.00%
Toronto 36 48.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 03:06 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes they're similar, I just feel Sydney has a higher international profile, tourism is probably the thing that makes the difference. But yeah, splitting hairs I guess, neither is head and shoulders above the other.
Well yes, Sydney garners more tourists from more countries than Toronto does - but even in terms of total International tourists they are actually shockingly similar in numbers. Toronto gets more overall visitors because it is in a more populated region. I suspect however that more tourism dollars are spent in Sydney because of its remoteness vis a vie North America and Europe. You get a once or twice in a lifetime shot with it!

The last sentence you wrote makes the most sense of anything you have written!

Old 02-03-2014, 04:33 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well yes, Sydney garners more tourists from more countries than Toronto does - but even in terms of total International tourists they are actually shockingly similar in numbers. Toronto gets more overall visitors because it is in a more populated region. I suspect however that more tourism dollars are spent in Sydney because of its remoteness vis a vie North America and Europe. You get a once or twice in a lifetime shot with it!

The last sentence you wrote makes the most sense of anything you have written!
Yes, I gotta admit the facts. Even though I prefer living in Melbourne to Sydney, I am pretty proud of it, I guess I have a love/hate relationship with it. Toronto sounds like a kind of interesting city to visit though.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:44 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,364 times
A more interesting comparison would be between Sydney, Nova Scotia and Toronto, New South Wales

Old 02-03-2014, 04:45 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
A more interesting comparison would be between Sydney, Nova Scotia and Toronto, New South Wales
Indeed! lol. Actually I have been to Toronto, Toronto, NSW lol.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:41 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
What's with the sarcasm Captain Canada? - yet again you ONLY read what you want to and don't understand context... it was someone else who said Quebec garners more tourism numbers than Toronto (whatever that meant, Quebec is a province). I countered his argument with facts that indeed Toronto and Ontario both generate more visitors numbers across the board IN CANADA in terms of any singular city and any singular province. I responded to you in context thinking that you had read my response to him - clearly you didn't but since you are quick to get offensive and personal, point noted for future interaction.
Sorry! I didn't realize it was a "wink-wink" type of comment.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sorry! I didn't realize it was a "wink-wink" type of comment.
I'm more wink wink than you think

Old 02-03-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, I gotta admit the facts. Even though I prefer living in Melbourne to Sydney, I am pretty proud of it, I guess I have a love/hate relationship with it. Toronto sounds like a kind of interesting city to visit though.
Actually in this thread I've learned how similar Sydney and Toronto are in terms of economic prowess and the relationship they have with their perspective country. Aside from all the gory economic details though there really is more to meets the eye with Toronto. It is more than just a dense CBD and a business centre - the most interesting parts of the city are actually not buildings and business Sydney is probably the same.. I think if you get a chance to come to Canada definitely do Montreal and Quebec city as the culture appeals to you (rightfully so they are wonderful cities both architecturally and culturally - great food and people), but I do think since you'd be close it would be a shame to bypass Toronto and the Niagara region as well!! That whole trip would be awesome but more enjoyable in the summer when festivities are in full swing in both Montreal and Toronto.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:19 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Actually in this thread I've learned how similar Sydney and Toronto are in terms of economic prowess and the relationship they have with their perspective country. Aside from all the gory economic details though there really is more to meets the eye with Toronto. It is more than just a dense CBD and a business centre - the most interesting parts of the city are actually not buildings and business Sydney is probably the same.. .
I actually agree with this assessment of Sydney vs. Toronto quite a bit.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:46 PM

16 posts, read 24,725 times
I vote for Toronto based on actual facts.

Furthermore, I am from Canada. I hate others attacking my country! If anyone attacks my country, i have to defend!

Toronto's CBD skyline may looks quite small from Lake Ontario. In fact it extends very long instead of wide!

With a population of over 6 millions (approximately 10 millions in the Golden Horse Shoes region), Toronto ranks the fourth largest city in North America.

I love my Toronto.

Here, l am not going to say anything against Australia although i dislike Australia ( including Sydney). I am not going to say anything against Australia because no one like others to say something against their countries.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:26 PM

16 posts, read 24,725 times
Quote:
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sydney ranks higher than Toronto in more measures.

It's better known, more landmarks, brand image, better climate, higher ranked in liveability.
Sydney better known than Toronto?
Sydney is ''better known''than Toronto just because Sydney is located in a very remote location whereas Toronto is located in Canada. Such renowned big cities as Montreal, New York City, Chicago, Buffalo, Albany etc are all just near Toronto.
Sydney, on the other hand, is located at least five thousands kms away from any other big cities!

According to The EIU's Liveability Ranking and Overview August 2013, Toronto ranks higher than Sydney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World