Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city's CBD feels bigger/busier: Sydney's or Toronto's?
Sydney 39 52.00%
Toronto 36 48.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2013, 11:02 AM

231 posts, read 331,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
*shrug* It's really not much of a hardship when it's native to you, you just dress warmly, know how to drive in the snow, and how to enjoy winter sports. It's just tough when it's alien to you and you don't have habits for it yet.
I don't think it's something I could ever get use to, im from Melbourne and 12-13 degrees Celsius in winter gets me, so 0 or below for me is torture lol

Old 11-26-2013, 11:55 AM

26,799 posts, read 37,799,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
I don't think it's something I could ever get use to, im from Melbourne and 12-13 degrees Celsius in winter gets me, so 0 or below for me is torture lol
As Barbie herself is fond of saying: you're stronger than you think!

Old 11-27-2013, 03:13 AM

11,223 posts, read 16,375,450 times
Quote:

Hell, at 0 I'll throw on a light sweater, a touque, and be on my way. lol

13 gets ya? Geez. I'm only putting the doors back on my Jeep at 14C.

Us Canadians certainly are a hardy bunch, eh?

Old 12-05-2013, 12:53 PM

9,572 posts, read 20,717,233 times
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sydney ranks higher than Toronto in more measures.

It's better known, more landmarks, brand image, better climate, higher ranked in liveability.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:16 PM

468 posts, read 612,554 times
Sydney by far! Is this forum primarily Canadian/American, because they seem to trump everywhere else in polls, despite the fact that they are not always better… especially in this case.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:17 PM

468 posts, read 612,554 times
Quote:
Oh, harden up please! I'm Australian and even I find 12-13 degrees comfortable. Where are you from, the desert?!

Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
Sydney by far! Is this forum primarily Canadian/American, because they seem to trump everywhere else in polls, despite the fact that they are not always better… especially in this case.
Sydney, and even moreso Melbourne, will naturally lose out because few Americans have been there or know much about them. Those that do make it to Melbourne are usually very impressed. I've been to the US, and in some ways I found Melbourne a more interesting city than even Boston.

Toronto ticks the boxes but, I don't know, it lacks character, it lacks that special quality that makes a city truly iconic or great. It just seems it could be any generic Midwestern US city. I'm sure many Torontoans will disagree, but one can't Sydney lacks character. Sure there are tons of things I dislike about it, and give me Melbourne to live in any day, but it's such a stunningly beautiful city, one of the most beautiful in the world no doubt. Few Aussies think about going to Toronto, moreso Montreal.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
We think Melbourne has such a terrible climate but I actually think it's quite nice. People think it always rains (it gets more sun than Toronto), summers are actually similar to Toronto and winters are similar to San Francisco. Snow is almost unheard of in the city.
Well that is a shame, snow is nice.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:58 PM

^ There are people here who think Houston is the greatest city on earth too lol. But yeah, I mean I'll probably check Toronto out, but when you've been to cities like NYC, London, Paris, Rome, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing why would Toronto be that special?

Beautiful videos of Sydney. I suppose Australian cities benefit from being further away from the US (stand out more), better climate.etc. Vancouver looks like a beautiful city at least, with it's setting and everything. Toronto's setting on the lake is rather cool though I will say.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:54 PM

355 posts, read 679,891 times
I love how everyone is taking a jab at Toronto lol. I am not American/Canadian and it's not my favourite city in Canada I do like the city very much and it is a bit disheartening to see it being trashed. I have been to other great cities. Is Toronto the best city in the world? Not for me. One of my favourite to visit? Sure! There're other things I'd visit other than the obvious. I haven't been on the CN tower for more than one even though I have been in Toronto many times for work trips. In fact, the thing that I do the most, in terms of tourist thing, is probably watch a hockey game.

I have been to Sydney only a handful of times. I like it very much. Lots of touristy things to do, nice people, nice weather. But the Opera house, Harbour, beaches and what not never drove me to travel there more than once outside of work trips. I think they're in the same tier of cities. Sydney has more tourist attractions, landmarks, no doubts. And from the global ranking (you really have to take a look at what is measured by to see what it really mean, rather than using it as the end all be all rankings) and the fact that it's one of the few dominate cities in the continent it's probably more economic relevant in the grand scope of things. So I think it is hard to really convince one who have some knowledge of both cities that one is definitely better than the other. To visit, maybe but overall I would think it's hard to do. I like both cities very much but there're area in which I would prefer Toronto over Sydney. The obvious one is the location. I do also enjoy the weather more (I'm from Sweden to give some context), the lakes and cottage country area the city, some of the neighourhoods, the streetcars and the public transit in general...etc.

But it's hard for me to pick one over the other when we are not talking about specifics.

In regards to character, I think a lot of cities in North America and Australia are quite similar. Outside of your New York and Vegas and other more prominent cities. I think Toronto is developing into a condominium city? Is that a character? Not necessarily for the good though lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.