Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most powerful continent?
Africa 4 2.34%
Asia 44 25.73%
Europe 48 28.07%
N America 72 42.11%
S America 3 1.75%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 07:12 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
although anyone who thinks North America could run over Europe in a war is incredibly naive
Not naive, that's the reality. WWII was a long time ago. Europe collectively would stand no chance against the US. The US military is by far the most powerful, most equipped (think nukes) in the world and could easily decimate Europe if they chose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 07:15 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
South America.

just kidding

Old 09-08-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Firstly, define powerful? Militarily, economically, socio-culturally? I suppose a generalised combination of all?

How come Asia isn't in the discussion? Economically Asia probably will exceed North America and Europe sometime in the near future. China and Japan alone almost equal the United States, and here's also India. South Korea and South-East Asia, as well as the Middle East, are booming too.

And no, nobody considers North and South America a single continent. I've never heard anyone do so. They're more separate continents than Europe and Asia are, as Eurasia.

Oceania isn't a real continent, it's a 'continent' in a socio-political sense. I thought it was common knowledge that Australia was a continent (a continent and a country), although it's subjective because the only thing differentiating a very large island from a continent is a size. It would not be incorrect to also call Australia an island.
Historically Asia has been the most influential in terms of civilisation (first civilisation in either Turkey or modern day Iraq), technology (many inventions in China, India, Near East), religion (most people today following a religion that originated in Asia), and sheer mass of people. I think it's only now that it's re-claiming it's rightful place.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:26 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Not naive, that's the reality. WWII was a long time ago. Europe collectively would stand no chance against the US. The US military is by far the most powerful, most equipped (think nukes) in the world and could easily decimate Europe if they chose.
France, Russia and the UK also have nuclear weapons.

This "most powerful, most equipped" military in the world couldn't even defeat third-world countries by itself in recent decades, why would it be able to run over an entire first-world continent? The US wouldn't stand a chance against a collective Europe. Not without significant outside help, at least.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:

This "most powerful, most equipped" military in the world couldn't even defeat third-world countries by itself in recent decades, why would it be able to run over an entire first-world continent? The US wouldn't stand a chance against a collective Europe. Not without significant outside help, at least.
Haha you really believe that? Not that this will ever happen (at least not unless something extreme happens) but i think you underestimate both the might of America and the gap that has grown between the US and the rest since the last decades of the Cold War. Russia is but a shadow of what is was, and France is no military heavyweight at all. The US has more combined and more up to date nukes than those powers. Frances' nuclear power is mostly for energy. Germany basically has no real military power to speak of.

The US didn't really have any kind of real objective in Vietnam except to bomb them into submission. The Vietnamese just could take that bombing...it is atrocious what they did there, definitely. Of course, if America was fighting for it's survival you'd bet they'd deploy their full arsenal. Also no nukes were used in Vietnam. If they were, they'd quickly bomb the Vietnamese into submission.

I don't really like it myself, but the world is at the mercy of America. I think even if the rest of the entire world was pitted against the US it'd be close. I'm not even American, but don't underestimate their power.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:57 PM

824 posts, read 3,602,792 times
Quote:

I'm afraid the Britons would prefer to support their cousins at the other side of the pond, So you will never be sure if you would count them out or not...

Old 09-08-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
I'm afraid the Britons would prefer to support their cousins at the other side of the pond, So you will never be sure if you would count them out or not...
True, I think the UK would ally themselves with the US before the likes of France, Germany, Russia.etc...but we're talking hypotheticals, here.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:25 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,633 times
There are physically only three continents: America, Eurafrasia, Antarctica and Australia, and thousands of islands and islets.
In terms of culture, I think we can divide the world in the following regions: Europe, West Asia (plus Maghreb, maybe), East Asia, Africa, Anglo America, Latin America, Caribbean and Oceania. And Russia in a separate region for it's own right.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:31 PM

While I like the term 'Eurafrasia' Africa is distinct enough to be it's own continent. Only a sliver of land connects it to Asia. Likewise, North America and South America look separate on a map. You forgot 'South Asia' in your cultural regions.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:37 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
No, America Used to be labeled as a continent, proof is there is America cup (soccer) not a eufrasia cup.

north america?, a continent with 3 countries? what a joke, shame on you United statians
North America also includes the Central American countries and the Caribbean countries. South America starts with Colombia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World