Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most powerful continent?
Africa 4 2.34%
Asia 44 25.73%
Europe 48 28.07%
N America 72 42.11%
S America 3 1.75%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:43 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
There are maps which include south america and north america as single continent called Ameria, ever Heard of America football cup? Including North america and South america as different continents.

Americas is the only continent which hasnt been strictly defined.

Some people claim South america and North america are separated continents.

Another people claims South America, central america and North america are three different regions which belong to the same continent called America.
Afroeurasia vs America vs Australia vs Antartica
We all know Antartica will win

Last edited by iNviNciBL3; 09-09-2013 at 12:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 12:03 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
(although anyone who thinks North America could run over Europe in a war is incredibly naive).
Lol

Old 09-09-2013, 02:40 AM

15 posts, read 26,586 times
Quote:
I'm afraid the Britons would prefer to support their cousins at the other side of the pond, So you will never be sure if you would count them out or not...
Not if the USA wants to do something stupid, like, say, decide to bomb dark skinned people on the basis of feeble evidence ... or invade Europe.

The Guardian: "Obama's Syria plans in disarray after Britain rejects use of force"

Quote:
Barack Obama's plans for air strikes against were thrown into disarray on Thursday night after the British parliament unexpectedly rejected a motion designed to pave the way to authorising the UK's participation in military action.

The White House was forced to consider the unpalatable option of taking unilateral action against the regime of Bashar al-Assad after the British prime minister, David Cameron, said UK would not now take part in any military action in response to a chemical attack in the suburbs of Damascus last week.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:55 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
While I like the term 'Eurafrasia' Africa is distinct enough to be it's own continent. Only a sliver of land connects it to Asia. Likewise, North America and South America look separate on a map. You forgot 'South Asia' in your cultural regions.
You are right.
There are some debates amongst geographers about North America and South America being distinct landmasses, as well as Eurasia and Africa. It's consensual, however, that Europe and Asia are not separate continents, if we understand the word "continent" as "continuous landmass".

About South Asia and East Asia, I think they are more easily understood as subregions of a same "continent" (part of the world); together with Southeastern Asia.

So, we have:
* Europe: old history, full democratic, traditionally christian, caucasian people and high living standard.
* Anglo America: same of Europe, but with recent history and some indigenous tribes.
* Latin America: recent history, mixed-race, traditionally christian, flawed democracies and social inequalities.
* Middle East plus Maghreb: old history, traditionally islamic, mostly autocratic, not rich nor poor.
* East Asia: old history, extremely populous, many ethnic religions, mongoloid and indian people
* Africa: mostly islamic and christian, widespread poverty, mostly autocratic, black people
* Caribbean: small countries, black people, mostly christian but with some ethnic religions
* Oceania: same of Anglo America plus Caribbean, but in other area of the world

Obviously it's a generalisation and there are many exceptions, but, I think, this would be a good division for practical purposes.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:55 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,851 times
Quote:
America is a continent, not for some reason both have the same lastnames..South America and North America. IF they were disassociated as some people imply in this thread they would have completly different names such as Asia, Africa and Europe.

SOuth america and North america are two regions of the single continent landmass called "america" or the Americas, like it or not. The americas is the Newworld continent which often gives the name of "oldworld" to Europe and sometimes Asia.
The Americas are too big to be considered 1 continent. Plus there is a physical boundary between north and south. It would make more sense to combine Europe and Asia. But the only reason Europe is even considered it's own continent is because for a long time Europeans made the rules and thought they were better and didn't want to be associated with Asia

Old 09-09-2013, 03:03 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,327 times
If my opinion helps: when I was at school I studied that America is only one continent, not only as a child, also in my last years or high school, separate them is new for me.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:22 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
North America. If Europe ever gets itself out of its economic slump it has the potential to be number one again. In fact, until 2008 Europe was still probably number one. That continent has one tenth of the world's population but controls one third of the worlds economy. North America is catching up quick though. Mexico, if it ever reaches developed status, has the potential to be an even bigger player in the world's issues than Russia!

Old 09-09-2013, 03:58 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Eurasia, m i rite?

Old 09-09-2013, 07:19 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
North America.

Hitler under-estimated NA to his ultimate doom.

When North America wants to pour on the juice, watch out

Old 09-11-2013, 03:43 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Most historians consider the period of European global hegemony from 1815 to 1914, that is until the Europeans decided to bash each other in their own backyard, instead of their stone/agricultural-age subjugates around the world, twice within a 25-year period, using relatively advanced industrialized weapons of mass destruction.

The Americans had their counterpart civil war about 50 years earlier when industrialization was at an early stage and the weapons not so destructive.

It took the US south about a century to recover from that war, even a bit longer, while in Europe the wounds are still bleeding.

I don't believe that the Europeans could seriously challenge the North Americans or the Chinese in the foreseeable future unless they truly integrate with the Russians. But, in view of US/EU free trade negotiations, one could reasonably foresee deeper North American/European integration at a faster pace than EU/Russian integration in a mother/son bid to simply defend themselves against the industrial challenges posed by the likes of China and elsewhere in Asia.

People in both North America and South America distinguish each other, while they use the plural, Americas, to refer to the entire hemisphere. In Italy at least, the term America refers solely to the United States, without a thought of South America which is otherwise specified.

Last edited by bale002; 09-11-2013 at 03:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World