Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which is the most powerful continent?
Africa 4 2.34%
Asia 44 25.73%
Europe 48 28.07%
N America 72 42.11%
S America 3 1.75%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2013, 02:27 PM
 
Location: The Mid-Cities
1,085 posts, read 1,788,977 times
Reputation: 698

Advertisements

Which is the most powerful continent in the world and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2013, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
Reputation: 1697
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Which is the most powerful continent in the world and why?
Europe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 02:54 PM
 
1,021 posts, read 1,513,112 times
Reputation: 460
I would have to say North America but it is hard to decide in this day and age. North America has Canada, the US, and Mexico, who have the largest combined GDP of any trade partnership in the world. Plus the US is the world Super Power. Europe is very developed but they have weak militaries and their economy showed signs of weakness after 08. Africa and South America are still too underdeveloped as a whole to even be in the running, maybe in 50 years we could revisit them. Australia is hard to tell because it is just one country, so they don't really count in this poll. Although east Asia has become very powerful and developed within the past 20 years, Asia is a huge continent and southeast, south, central, and west Asia are still pretty weak and powerless. So for now I say North America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 02:56 PM
 
Location: The Mid-Cities
1,085 posts, read 1,788,977 times
Reputation: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I would have to say North America but it is hard to decide in this day and age. North America has Canada, the US, and Mexico, who have the largest combined GDP of any trade partnership in the world. Plus the US is the world Super Power. Europe is very developed but they have weak militaries and their economy showed signs of weakness after 08. Africa and South America are still too underdeveloped as a whole to even be in the running, maybe in 50 years we could revisit them. Australia is hard to tell because it is just one country, so they don't really count in this poll. Although east Asia has become very powerful and developed within the past 20 years, Asia is a huge continent and southeast, south, central, and west Asia are still pretty weak and powerless. So for now I say North America.
I agree about South America and Australia that's why I didn't include it. I think it comes down to N America, Asia and Europe but I have no idea in what order. Another interesting question is who you consider more powerful Africa or South America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 03:37 PM
 
824 posts, read 3,601,314 times
Reputation: 177
There are maps which include south america and north america as single continent called Ameria, ever Heard of America football cup? Including North america and South america as different continents.

Americas is the only continent which hasnt been strictly defined.

Some people claim South america and North america are separated continents.

Another people claims South America, central america and North america are three different regions which belong to the same continent called America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 03:39 PM
 
1,021 posts, read 1,513,112 times
Reputation: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
I agree about South America and Australia that's why I didn't include it. I think it comes down to N America, Asia and Europe but I have no idea in what order. Another interesting question is who you consider more powerful Africa or South America?
That would be tough question to answer, I think I would have to say South America because of Brazil and it escaped European colonization faster than Africa giving it more time to develop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 03:42 PM
 
1,021 posts, read 1,513,112 times
Reputation: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
There are maps which include south america and north america as single continent called Ameria, ever Heard of America football cup? Including North america and South america as different continents.

Americas is the only continent which hasnt been strictly defined.

Some people claim South america and North america are separated continents.

Another people claims South America, central america and North america are three different regions which belong to the same continent called America.
Most people who live in North and South America consider them separate continents. They are just so big by themselves to be considered one, especially since the Panama Canal was built creating a physical separation boundary. I would be more inclined to combine Europe and Asia into one continent. I never understood why Europe was considered separate from Asia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 04:03 PM
 
824 posts, read 3,601,314 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Most people who live in North and South America consider them separate continents. They are just so big by themselves to be considered one, especially since the Panama Canal was built creating a physical separation boundary. I would be more inclined to combine Europe and Asia into one continent. I never understood why Europe was considered separate from Asia
Most people who live outside US and Canada consider America to be a single continent. They recognize the regions such as South America, Central America And North America, America is considered a single continent.

Its like calling NOrth europe, central europe and south europe different continents.

Africa is a continent, America is a continent, europe is a continent , asia is a continent, only people from the US (and Canada) want to create south-north division in America in order to disassociate themselves from less developed countries..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Reputation: 4438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Most people who live outside US and Canada consider America to be a single continent. They recognize the regions such as South America, Central America And North America, America is considered a single continent.

Its like calling NOrth europe, central europe and south europe different continents.

Africa is a continent, America is a continent, europe is a continent , asia is a continent, only people from the US (and Canada) want to create south-north division in America in order to disassociate themselves from less developed countries..
Not even true. That's like assuming people prefer to call it "Eurasiafrica" because they are technically all attached. It's also pretty widely accepted that Central America is considered to be a part of the North, and no one in Canada or the USA or Mexico is trying to change that because they want to be "disassociated" with the "undeveloped countries".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 04:35 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Reputation: 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Most people who live outside US and Canada consider America to be a single continent. They recognize the regions such as South America, Central America And North America, America is considered a single continent.

Its like calling NOrth europe, central europe and south europe different continents.

Africa is a continent, America is a continent, europe is a continent , asia is a continent, only people from the US (and Canada) want to create south-north division in America in order to disassociate themselves from less developed countries..
Not true at all, North America and South America are taught to be two seperate continents here. I think the only countries that consider "America" to be a single continent are Latin countries.

Europe is far less strictly defined. There is no universal agreement about whether or not countries like Russia, Turkey, Cyprus, Georgia, Azerbeidjan, Armenia, etc. are part of Europe or not.

One difference I noticed is that in many countries, "Oceania" is a continent rather than "Australia". I was taught that Australia is just one country in the continent of Oceania (which also includes New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and a host of smaller islands). It always seems a bit strange to me when people refer to Australia as a continent. This might just be a European thing though.

Anyway, to answer the OP: I think North America and Europe are pretty much equally powerful at this point. They both heavily rely on each other in economic and political relations. Remember that "power" can be imposed in more ways than just militarily (although anyone who thinks North America could run over Europe in a war is incredibly naive). The US is unquestionably the most powerful country in the world, but as a continent US + Canada + Mexico is not superior to UK + France + Germany + Russia (+ Spain, Italy, Benelux, Scandinavia, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top