Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Suggested pool for the cities I am possibly meant for ( in no particular order)
Chicago 11 31.43%
New York City 18 51.43%
Boston 3 8.57%
Philadelphia 5 14.29%
Washington D.C. 2 5.71%
Miami 3 8.57%
Los Angeles 4 11.43%
San Diego 2 5.71%
San Francisco 7 20.00%
Portland 0 0%
Seattle 6 17.14%
Denver 1 2.86%
Vancouver 4 11.43%
Toronto 6 17.14%
London 11 31.43%
Montreal 1 2.86%
Sydney 4 11.43%
Melbourne 2 5.71%
Paris 8 22.86%
Other (please mention in your comment ) 3 8.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:01 AM

43 posts, read 57,637 times

Advertisements

Hi!!!
I am basically trying to see if I am easy to figure out, if it's obvious to you which city was I made for.

Things I look for:

1) Big..BiG..BIG cities....popular around the world.
2) Amazing skyline! I enjoy that cosmo feel.
3) Great public transit! I'd wanna live in the city without a car.
4) Nightlife: great bar and clubbing scene, maybe the wild scene like that of a college town. Great dating scene.
5) People: Liberal, modern and friendly, easy to small-talk with people whonot only support, but take the extra step towards equality.
6) Setting: Natural beauty be it ocean, lake, mountain what not.
7) Weather: I enjoy four seasons, and year round mild temps equally.

No consideration needed for:
1) Affordability: I am confident I will get paid well with my major of choice.
2) Safety: Depends upon how smart of decisions I make.
3) Job market/economy blah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 10:20 AM

519 posts, read 1,023,767 times
You just described NYC and London- hope that high salary comes through .

Old 09-10-2013, 10:47 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Any of those cities will work, probably would not go with Portland, Denver, or Seattle. Sounds like you would do best in NYC.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:54 AM

390 posts, read 941,187 times
NYC is the city for you

Old 09-10-2013, 12:26 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
I think Seattle is the city for you. It has 4 seasons, but milder than NYC (not as hot or humid in summer, warmer winters). It is in a stunningly beautiful part of the country, with liberal people, a beautiful skyline, and very walkable (I think they have decent public transit, and they are expanding upon it). The nightlife, from what I've heard, it decent. You can get better nightlife and world recognition in other cities, but I honestly think Seattle is known pretty well worldwide. Whatever you choose, good luck!

Old 09-17-2013, 05:41 AM

43 posts, read 57,637 times
Hello and thanks to everyone that responded!
Youse guys got really close, and bulls eye mostly.
NYC: Always know that I was born to belong here. I am not the biggest fan of the saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans do", but instead I love love love the "When in NYC, do it like none other"-self hehe.
Seattle: Never been here, but have always wanted to. Crazy to the extent that I have pin pointed which neighborhood I would wanna live here.
London: Absolutely adored it when I was there, would wanna go back but for a fixed duration. Besides the weather being gloomy, I don't think I belonged there (maybe due to the fact that I am past that age where I can adapt my tongue to a foreign accent). However, being as international as it is, I think maybe fitting in isn't necessary, comments?
Chicago: I was born here, but I have that sort of association with it (I set my first step in America at O'Hare). No matter how many times I see it, can't help but admire the skyline, turquoise waters of the lake and fresh water beaches.

San Francisco wasn't mentioned, and I've never been there, but it is very likely that this Golden Gate city could get my golden ticket.

Alas, I still don't know where I am headed. Majoring in Mechanical Engineering is going to limit my options, but hopefully I can fit into my niche.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:46 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I think Seattle is the city for you. It has 4 seasons, but milder than NYC (not as hot or humid in summer, warmer winters). It is in a stunningly beautiful part of the country, with liberal people, a beautiful skyline, and very walkable (I think they have decent public transit, and they are expanding upon it). The nightlife, from what I've heard, it decent. You can get better nightlife and world recognition in other cities, but I honestly think Seattle is known pretty well worldwide. Whatever you choose, good luck!
Yes, Seattle has a very lively entertainment scene. Their transportation system consists mainly of his and electric trolley, but there is a light rail line that runs from the airport through town and out to the U District currently underway.
It is definitely the 'it' city right now. I was just there last month; the amount of redevelopment there was exciting...construction cranes everywhere. There is a careful balance of new construction and old buildings being rehabilitated.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:16 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
Most of them are great options. Denver, Portland, and San Diego might be a bit on the smallish side for you.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 AM

390 posts, read 941,187 times
Seattle

Old 09-17-2013, 07:52 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
I thought Philly and NYC. Philly has one great highway that will take you to the shore, just outside of the city.
Its quite a nice highway, and not crowded.
Philly has a wonderful skyline. It also has some great hidden cafes. One cool one is across from the old prison.
Its a redone firehouse. You can eat indoors or out. In the summer the large doors are all open.
Philly is full of interesting points. It also has all the seasons. You can hitch a AM track train out of Philly or a major air flight. A bit more calm and comforting the the hussle of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World