Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 03:29 AM

919 posts, read 840,912 times

Advertisements

WIN/Gallup International’s Annual Global End of Year Survey Reveals a World of Conflicting Hopes, Happiness and Despair
  1. Colombia
  2. Fiji
  3. Saudi Arabia
  4. Azerbaijan
  5. Vietnam
  6. Argentina
  7. Panama
  8. Mexico
  9. Ecuador
  10. China/Iceland

And the least happy countries are:
  1. Iraq
  2. Tunisia
  3. Greece
  4. Afghanistan
  5. Palestinian Territories
  6. Ghana
  7. Hong Kong
  8. Bulgaria
  9. Congo
  10. France/Italy

Yes, I know a few guys will post like: This kind of ranking is bull**** or something like that. Yes, they always do, don't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 04:35 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,026,336 times
I saw this 2 weeks ago or so. One interesting thing is how Bulgaria/Congo are about as poor as Colombia (on average at least) yet they're on the sides of the spectrum: happiest and saddest? Probably it's because Colombia is mostly Christian...or because they're using too much cocaine 0_o(kiddin', sorry Colombia).

Actually, looking again at the happiest countries:

- 5 of them are from South America(Spanish/Latino-sphere). Probably good climate and music, religion makes them happier.
- Saudi Arabia,Vietnam,China: dictatorships. They're "happy" because if they say they're "sad" the authorities will knock on the door -.
- Fiji: OK, strong economy, good climate.
- Iceland: Probably because they're a country of just 300,000 people which gives them some sort of "village happiness".

Old 01-09-2016, 08:21 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Even though you put it in light grey I'll restate it anyway: yes, that list is kind of crazy.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:31 AM

8,870 posts, read 8,454,383 times
Even though these lists are always all kinds of BS I'm not surprised that Hong Kong is one of the unhappiest places on earth. That city is miserable.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:06 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,026,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Even though you put it in light grey I'll restate it anyway: yes, that list is kind of crazy.
Actually I like such "controversial" lists. You'd get the idea they're closer to reality as they shift further away from stereotypes. I mean, months ago someone posted a map of atheism by country. It looked like that: Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Sweden = most atheists, England, Germany, Italy = very religious.
If the study was to confirm stereotypes you'd expect more like: Eastern Europe = traditional and religious, West: atheists and progressive. Except it wasn't.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:08 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
I thought the survey was about how optimistic about the future the people are, not how happy they might be with their current situation.

In any case, good for the top 10. Hope it will come into fruitition. Though, looking at the top 10 countries and their history, they are surely up for a disappointment.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:30 PM

919 posts, read 840,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
I saw this 2 weeks ago or so. One interesting thing is how Bulgaria/Congo are about as poor as Colombia (on average at least) yet they're on the sides of the spectrum: happiest and saddest? Probably it's because Colombia is mostly Christian...or because they're using too much cocaine 0_o(kiddin', sorry Colombia).

- 5 of them are from South America(Spanish/Latino-sphere). Probably good climate and music, religion makes them happier.
- Saudi Arabia,Vietnam,China: dictatorships. They're "happy" because if they say they're "sad" the authorities will knock on the door -.
- Iceland: Probably because they're a country of just 300,000 people which gives them some sort of "village happiness".
I like your analysis

I wonder what % of those who criticize this kind of researches without any reason, have written an academic paper. The methodology have problems? Or the analysis? Or what?

Old 01-09-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post

Except that you contradict your own theories.

Iceland has a poor economy and a poor climate. So has many Latin American countries. Iceland is irreligious, Saudi Arabia a theocracy.

And Fiji has a hellish climate, anything but good imo. 30C every day of the year, never cooling down even during the night, extremely oppressive humidity and 5 times the rainfall Sofia gets.
Same can be said about places like Saudi Arabia and for the tropical climates of South America.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:15 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,539,324 times
You cannot quantify 'happiness' in surveys with reasonable accuracy. Before you interject, think about it this: try to define the word 'happiness' for everyone.

Everyone will interpret the question completely differently. If I were surveyed, I'd probably just say yes, since I can appreciate my own living conditions overall even though I seldom feel remarkable positive emotions. Someone else who has exactly the same situation as me might say they are unhappy because they, also like me, don't feel any superlative feelings.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
You cannot quantify 'happiness' in surveys with reasonable accuracy. Before you interject, think about it this: try to define the word 'happiness' for everyone.

Everyone will interpret the question completely differently. If I were surveyed, I'd probably just say yes, since I can appreciate my own living conditions overall even though I seldom feel remarkable positive emotions. Someone else who has exactly the same situation as me might say they are unhappy because they, also like me, don't feel any superlative feelings.
Exactly. A Frenchman can say he is unhappy because he hates Hollande, OL won't win the championship this year either, and the new series of GoT isn't on yet.

A Colombian can say he is happy because he has access to fresh clean water and FARC didn't kill him yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World