Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:48 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,476,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Here are the Top 10 most educated countries in the world.

1. Canada (51%): The only nation to crack the 50% mark.
2. Israel: (46%): It helps that the nation's high school graduation rate is 92%.
3. Japan (45%): But new college grads are struggling to find jobs.
4. United States (42%): And we've got the college debt to go along with that high percentage.
5. New Zealand (41%): It's also a big draw for international students.
6. South Korea (40%)
7. United Kingdom (38%)
8. Finland (38%)
9. Australia (38%)
10. Ireland (37%)

10 Most Educated Countries - Canada is No. 1, but US cracks top five
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 03:37 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,490,218 times
I don't know what previous numbers and final numbers mean in this thread, but I know the meaning of the list by the way.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:18 AM

3,994 posts, read 6,806,996 times
I have NEVER take an "IQ test" here in Brazil, and I don't know anyone who have ever took this kind of test.

IQ tests are considered charlatanism here in Brazil.

And I guess that it's the same in most countries of the world, besides the USA, that is maybe the only country where those tests are taken seriously.

I don't know where this "ranking" takes the data from, since in most countries it's rare to see anyone taking an IQ test.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:52 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,140,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
And I guess that it's the same in most countries of the world, besides the USA, that is maybe the only country where those tests are taken seriously.

I don't know where this "ranking" takes the data from, since in most countries it's rare to see anyone taking an IQ test.
Gotta love the stereotypical comment about the US.

The OP doesn't have a source but the numbers are similar to those in Pruzhany's first link, which comes from research by 3 people: a Brit, a Finn, and a Dutch guy...

Old 09-23-2013, 08:11 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times
While it is certainly true that the functional intellignce in some countries varies, the extremes shown in this chart are patently untrue. I have traveled in some of the countries where the average IQ is reported to be below 70, and saw absolutely no evidence that the general public met this criteria of retardation:

50-69 - Mildly retarded

Educable, can learn to care for oneself, employable in routinized jobs but require supervision. Might live alone but do best in supervised settings. Immature but with adequate social adjustment, usually no obvious physical anomalies.

70-79 - Borderline retarded

Limited trainability. Have difficulty with everyday demands like using a phone book, reading bus or train schedules, banking, filling out forms, using appliances like a video recorder, microwave oven or computer, etcetera, and therefore require assistance from relatives or social agencies in the management of their affairs. Can be employed in simple tasks but require supervision.

IQ ranges and real-life functioning

In those African countries, the few children who have an opportunity to go to school are quite educable. But many people go their entire lives with virtually no exposure to people who are educated or otherwise have gained the analytical experience of living in an industrialized economy, and a great deal of the capacity to score on an IQ test is acquired through normal life in a modern society. So, while the average African does not intuitively know what an educated IQ test administrator is asking him to do, they are not nearly as retarded as their IQ score would indicate.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:24 PM

3,994 posts, read 6,806,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Gotta love the stereotypical comment about the US.

The OP doesn't have a source but the numbers are similar to those in Pruzhany's first link, which comes from research by 3 people: a Brit, a Finn, and a Dutch guy...

What is stereotypical in the comment?

From what I know, those IQ tests are taken very seriously in the USA, they even take those tests with the students in public schools...

But in most countries of the world, including here in Brazil, IQ tests are considered meaningless and are largely ignored...

Old 09-23-2013, 01:20 PM

520 posts, read 1,515,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
So UK is 11.
Calm down. That's only the number for England&Wales. Northern Ireland is #67 slightly behind Uganda.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:27 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,045,285 times
Italy, China and Poland higher than Canada

Old 09-23-2013, 01:44 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,140,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
What is stereotypical in the comment?

From what I know, those IQ tests are taken very seriously in the USA, they even take those tests with the students in public schools...

But in most countries of the world, including here in Brazil, IQ tests are considered meaningless and are largely ignored...
Stereotype n. 1. A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.

Broad generalizations about entire countries (e.g. "IQ tests are taken very seriously in the USA [...] [b]ut in most countries of the world [...] IQ tests are considered meaningless") are often stereotypical, I just pointed that out.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:55 PM

262 posts, read 607,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Italy, China and Poland higher than Canada
So what? The Netherlands are listed higher than Canada as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World