Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 10:33 AM

5 posts, read 31,467 times

Advertisements

Hi

I would like some thoughts about studying a PhD in USA probably on the east coast.

I am gonna graduate in a couple of months and want to study for my graduate studies in US. I am not sure if US is better or UK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 11:05 AM

23 posts, read 58,874 times
There are schools in the US that are better than schools in the UK, and schools in the UK that are better than ones on the other side.

I guess a country can't have "generally" better schools than another, as there will always be some schools that stand out.

I mean, the Oxford University is one of the best schools around!! But yeah, the US do have alot of really good schools. You should find a list over university/college rankings! Good luck!

Old 05-10-2008, 09:31 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,959 times
Willis Your question is way too general to give you much help.What are your considerations? Scholarships? Finances? Admission requirements? Lifestyle? Value of the degree? Specialization?
In my opinion, you need to talk to someone at your current school about getting resources to give you information. You need to check the internet, read about international study, and then come back with some specific questions.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:35 AM

5 posts, read 31,467 times
Well I have spoken to a few lecturers in my school and did suggest the US to me as I want to do a Phd in Biology. The funding sounds promising as well, only need to take the GRE to begin the application process for 08-09.

I guess I want to know if the quality is better than UK, as some of my lecturers do not encourage the US. I have seen around and the US hold great promise especially in what field I would like to pursue, and in some internet forums, some students def said US is worth as it exposes you to much more than UK and atleast for my field, getting a couple of publication in 4 years is worth it as compared to one publication in UK if Lucky.

I am looking to move in NY or Miami and would like to know the cost of living and how the people are there, I mean like is there rascism and stuff as I def have experinced rascism in UK first hand and has put me off staying here too.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,981 times
Hi Im from libya I want get achance to study in US so I need some information about The cost in the college living and visa.And I have hige diploma in electric engennering.please help me.thanks

Old 11-06-2008, 06:53 PM

271 posts, read 1,072,516 times
almbrok, what are you looking to get a degree in? also what kind of degree? You can get multiple degrees here in America, you can get an Associates, a Bachelors, a masters, and PhD, in that order. (i think) Also what area of the country are you looking at doing your schooling in? The prices for school vary A LOT over here, any where from $6.000 USD a year to more than $40.000 USD a year. We need just a little bit more info to help you out.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,070 times
Hello to everyone , as you can see I am from Croatia, and since I would really like to get a chance to study in USA first I need to find out more is next. Today,by your opinion what is the best to go on? Law,economy(management,business) or communications - PR? Since those are my field that I like? Is there job in them today , or the competition is too big? Thank you all ))

Old 05-10-2011, 05:06 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmicck View Post
almbrok, what are you looking to get a degree in? also what kind of degree? You can get multiple degrees here in America, you can get an Associates, a Bachelors, a masters, and PhD, in that order. (i think) Also what area of the country are you looking at doing your schooling in? The prices for school vary A LOT over here, any where from $6.000 USD a year to more than $40.000 USD a year. We need just a little bit more info to help you out.
As international students, they are guaranteed to pay $10,000 a year MINIMUM even for community college. EU students and other eligible European students should take advantage of any European agreements that exist with their country and the UK, IMO.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,513 times
If you want to study in the US, I would recommend somewhere in the Northeast USA (NYC,Boston,Washington DC) Not only are they very diverse, world class cities, but they also have some of the best universities in the country and world. The cost of living is generally high, but so are many big cities in Europe. If you wanna live somewhere with better weather, San Franisco is also a good pick. I don't know how good the colleges in Miami are, but I would venture to say they are not on the level as the ones in the cities I just mentioned. Same thing Los Angeles, great city, but not exactly known for it's education.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:09 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVAN_CROATIA View Post
Hello to everyone , as you can see I am from Croatia, and since I would really like to get a chance to study in USA first I need to find out more is next. Today,by your opinion what is the best to go on? Law,economy(management,business) or communications - PR? Since those are my field that I like? Is there job in them today , or the competition is too big? Thank you all ))
Hi Ivan! Just a coincidence, but my little sister is studying in Croatia now.

In the USA, lawyers have had to take large pay cuts since the start of the financial crisis. Still, there is demand, but do not expect very large salaries at the beginning (they used to make $100,000 or more starting, not anymore). However, there is still demand for lawyers.

A business degree ... is worth it if you want a Master's degree. Otherwise it really is not worth it, unless you want to go into business for yourself and start one.

Communications will always be in demand. PR is necessary and is needed everywhere. I suggest looking into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World