Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:53 AM

270 posts, read 593,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Wow! I wouldn't have thought you would need seperate lessons for either! I didn't realise the language accross the pond was different! I thought it was just an accent thing.
Yes, the official English that is taught in German schools is British English. Similar to the difference between Castilian Spanish and "New World Spanish".

But because of globalism, etc. kids are allowed to decide today. Like my stepdaughter. She speaks American English and the rest of the class British English. It's not counted as mistake if she writes color, instead of colour...or center and not centre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 07:57 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post
My European observations are that some folks find it attractive to adopt an American accent, even to the extent of pretending to be a US citizen. Usually it's the women, particularly from Northern Ireland or other parts of the UK, perhaps because their native accent lends itself to sounding American. But on mentioning this to acquaintances, etc, I'm often told that there's no such tendency. However, on discussing the matter with the manager of one of the largest hotels in Leipzig, I was told it's a common practice: and sometimes, so gross as to be laughable. His closing remark was that he just doesn't know why they'll do it
I'm an English expatriate; and there's something about my appearance or demeanour that causes the locals or tourists to ask me for directions: sometimes they'll begin with `Do you speak English?´ And many look delighted when I reply, `A leedle´. But best of all was when an American family complimented me on my English. Yet good enough, is just to be stopped by a pretty girl
I find it hard to believe that people from Northern Ireland or other parts of the UK would adopt an American accent but anything is possible I suppose.

The Northern Irish accent doesn't sound anything like American and I would think it would be difficult for them to sound American. It is quite a distinctive accent. I think some southern Irish accents could sometimes be mistaken for American initially but not once people start talking a bit more. I've mistaken some Americans for Irish when they first talk as well.

My accent has been mistaken for American because I roll my rs even though I've been reared in Australia but from Ireland originally. I just can't imagine why people would imitate an accent unless it was for a joke.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:44 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
Yes, the official English that is taught in German schools is British English. Similar to the difference between Castilian Spanish and "New World Spanish".

But because of globalism, etc. kids are allowed to decide today. Like my stepdaughter. She speaks American English and the rest of the class British English. It's not counted as mistake if she writes color, instead of colour...or center and not centre.
My daghter has had a bit of trouble in school as they teach British English and she speaks American.
Her english is quite good but it was her worst grade.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
I think Boston has the worst annoying sounding accent of any of them

Old 09-26-2013, 09:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
Now as far as the worst....It has to be a toss up in between Indian/Asian/Mexican (Some French people as well) people. The worst in almost every aspect. They could be in America for well over 35+ years and it just sounds as if they just arrived 1 week ago. And in many cases its just not the parents. They could have immigrated and even the 1st generation children sound just as terrible as their parents. How,

Prime example...All of them. Ok maybe Salma Hayek (not just her but many others). Same with the Indians. Their accents when speaking English is just so thick im not sure if they are even speaking English half of time. Why is this ? Why is it that a German whose learned English as a second (or maybe third) have found some way to sound so well and yet still retain their native tongue while so many others simply do not.
Indians are the worst, in my experience.

In college , it was only a minor adjustment to get used to my Korean, Japanese, or Chinese professors. But Indians? Jesus Christ. I honestly could not tell what language they were speaking.

Mexicans don't have the best English language skills either, but as an American I suppose my familiarity with Spanish helps me understand what they say in English.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:43 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
My daghter has had a bit of trouble in school as they teach British English and she speaks American.
Her english is quite good but it was her worst grade.
There really isn't such a thing - to be honest with you both the English and Americans speak an identical language apart from some 'slang', the accent and they way some words are spelled.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:48 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Quote:
There really isn't such a thing - to be honest with you both the English and Americans speak an identical language apart from some 'slang', the accent and they way some words are spelled.

True but in Germany people make a difference between Englisch and Amerikanisch.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:49 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
I guess it doesn't really matter when you are living in an English-speaking country, but when English is taught as a second language, you have to agree on a certain standard. You just can't mix different pronunciations and vocab.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:53 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I guess it doesn't really matter when you are living in an English-speaking country, but when English is taught as a second language, you have to agree on a certain standard. You just can't mix different pronunciations and vocab.
I think vocab is exaclty the same - pronounciations may differ due to the accent thing but the words are exaclty the same.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:01 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
I think vocab is exaclty the same - pronounciations may differ due to the accent thing but the words are exaclty the same.
Let me google that for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World