Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:38 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
If you moved to aussie at six you won't have an irish accent.
I moved there at 8 and still have a slight Irish accent that is why people have trouble placing where I come from. I don't know why you are arguing with me about my accent. It is not really Australian or Irish but a bit of a blended accent. Some people have mistaken me for West Country English because I roll my rs.

My family also moved back to Ireland after a couple of years for a few months and came back again. This pattern was repeated another 2 times so it is easy to see why I would have a kind of blended accent.

Irish and Scottish accents seem to be very hard accents to lose.

I've also heard other Australians with a similar background to me (Irish parents) and they do have slight Irish accents but mine is a bit more pronounced most probably from going back and forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 02:43 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Different words? Do you mean non English words?
English words but are not so commonly used.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:48 AM

936 posts, read 823,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Why should foreigners learning English try to adopt the American accent, anyway? There's no standard pronunciation in English, an a lot of them might aspire to learn a more British accent.
A few years ago I tutored students in English through the website Livemocha. Many of the students said it was the pop culture that made them want to adopt an American accent. It's the daily dose of American TV, movies, music, etc... that makes an American accent fascinating. Oddly enough, I also had several male students tell me that they had no desire whatsoever to adopt a British accent because all Englishmen "sound like they're homosexual." --I swear, several students told me this.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:01 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
English words but are not so commonly used.
I use and hear exactly the same words to my customers / clients in the US when I speak to them, I do believe what you say but I must say I am suprised by it, please can you give me some example words you have heard the British use that are not commonly used in the US?

Old 09-27-2013, 03:11 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I use and hear exactly the same words to my customers / clients in the US when I speak to them, I do believe what you say but I must say I am suprised by it, please can you give me some example words you have heard the British use that are not commonly used in the US?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgPH...etailpage#t=15

Old 09-27-2013, 03:23 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Overall I think more Dutch speak a clear, unaccented English more than any other nationality that I have come across. Often the only reason I know someone is Dutch and not American is because almost no Americans speak with such a neutral accent.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:06 AM

786 posts, read 811,587 times
Foreigners adopt an American accent for several reasons. Popular music vocalists tend to sing in an American one, perhaps because it sounds less clipped and flows better than British English, and for many folks, most of whom couldn't tell between an American and a Canadian accent, it just sounds glamorous. Others, such as (particularly Scottish) women-in-the-media, appear to use it so as to show us that they've stayed or worked (for even a short while) in, say, New York. And most of them come out with a mixed-up and ridiculous accent, which, nevertheless, will impress the locals
Occasionally, a person will adopt a British accent. And sometimes that can be unexpectedly refreshing. For instance, when Lena performed in the 2010 Eurovision Song Contest, she won it for Germany, but with a delightful British accent. And here it is:
Lena (Germany) performs winning 2010 Eurovision Song Contest song - YouTube

Last edited by OldChina; 09-27-2013 at 07:12 AM..

Old 09-27-2013, 06:44 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
I hear few people who try to outright imitate an American or British accent.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:01 AM

270 posts, read 593,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Oddly enough, I also had several male students tell me that they had no desire whatsoever to adopt a British accent because all Englishmen "sound like they're homosexual." --I swear, several students told me this.

I was told so by many male US-Americans. But it's funny that on the other hand a lot of American women find British English extremely sexy, because it sounds so sophisticated.

I second that. There is nothing better than Alan Rickman or Hugh Laurie speaking British English. *roooaaarrr*

Old 09-27-2013, 07:26 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post
Foreigners adopt an American accent for several reasons. Popular music vocalists tend to sing in an American one, perhaps because it sounds less clipped and flows better than British English, and for many folks, most of whom couldn't tell between an American and a Canadian accent, it just sounds glamorous. Others, such as (particularly Scottish) women-in-the-media, appear to use it so as to show us that they've stayed or worked (for even a short while) in, say, New York. And most of them come out with a mixed-up and ridiculous accent, which, nevertheless, will impress the locals
Occasionally, a person will adopt a British accent. And sometimes that can be unexpectedly refreshing. For instance, when Lena performed in the 2010 Eurovision Song Contest, she won it for Germany, but with a delightful British accent. And here it is:
Lena (Germany) performs winning 2010 Eurovision Song Contest song - YouTube
Why are you singling out Scottish and Northern Irish as adopting an American accent? I've never come across these nationalities adopting an American accent.

Also why is it "delightful" if Lena a German adopts an English accent but if someone adopts an American accent it sounds ridiculous?

You seem to have a bias? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World