Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 07:37 PM

836 posts, read 1,255,877 times

Advertisements

I notice that in many parts of the world (e.g. most of the ex-British Empire, the British Isles, Continental Europe, China, and certain Latin American countries like Chile and most of Brazil) the traffic lights are painted black (very often with a white margin on the outside of the plate), while in some parts of the world the traffic lights are painted yellow (e.g. much of the US, most of Canada, some Latin American countries), and in yet other parts of the world they can be painted dark green, brown, grey, etc. Given all of that, and given that there can be variations within the same country what the traffic lights look like, is there any way to get a map or even atlas depicting which parts of the world use what kind of traffic light?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 08:04 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Yeah here they're all black. I also notice the design of traffic lights in the US is different too. Like there are lights hanging from wires, overhanging above you, which you don't see here.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:15 AM

Put it this way: In terms of traffic light design/colour, why do the likes of Brazil, Chile, or China follow the British/European pattern of black signals with white perimeters (I could understand why Australia or South Africa do, being ex-British colonies) while the likes of Argentina or Peru or Central America follow more the traditional American pattern of yellow signals?

Old 10-03-2013, 06:28 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Put it this way: In terms of traffic light design/colour, why do the likes of Brazil, Chile, or China follow the British/European pattern of black signals with white perimeters (I could understand why Australia or South Africa do, being ex-British colonies) while the likes of Argentina or Peru or Central America follow more the traditional American pattern of yellow signals?
No idea...any reason you ask, or just curiosity?

A related thing is which side of the road you drive on. In the UK and Commonwealth countries, as well as a few others like Japan and Thailand, it's on the left. Elsewhere it's on the right.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:09 PM

Just curious - because I've seen maps of many thematic features, including on what side of the road each country drives on, but I haven't seen any map what kind of traffic light is where (not on Wikipedia, not through Google, nothing).

Old 10-03-2013, 12:59 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
I notice that in many parts of the world (e.g. most of the ex-British Empire, the British Isles, Continental Europe, China, and certain Latin American countries like Chile and most of Brazil) the traffic lights are painted black (very often with a white margin on the outside of the plate), while in some parts of the world the traffic lights are painted yellow (e.g. much of the US, most of Canada, some Latin American countries), and in yet other parts of the world they can be painted dark green, brown, grey, etc. Given all of that, and given that there can be variations within the same country what the traffic lights look like, is there any way to get a map or even atlas depicting which parts of the world use what kind of traffic light?
The town I live in, which is a suburb of Indianapolis in the US, they just recently switched all our traffic lights from yellow to black because it supposedly helps the light be seen better. A neighboring city also just put in black lights but with yellow reflectors outlining each light to stand out at night. I'm not really sure if there's a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah here they're all black. I also notice the design of traffic lights in the US is different too. Like there are lights hanging from wires, overhanging above you, which you don't see here.
Mostly the lights hanging on cables are used for big intersections where you may have 7, 8, or 9 lanes of traffic. Sometimes there are 2 or 3 straight thru lanes, 2 or 3 left turn lanes, and a lane or 2 for right turn. The laws of gravity don't work too well to extend a pole all that way (though I have seen pulls go all the way across anchored to the ground on both sides of the road). That's when usually wires are used and stretched tight. It's cheaper I think is the main reason for doing that. Smaller intersections and more upscale areas use poles.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:56 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
Hard to say because it seems that every country/city/state does things differently as far as color, mounting position, wether it is mounted on a pole or strung up on a cable, etc.

In my travels throughout the US most states have vertical traffic lights but a few such as Wisconsin, Texas, and New Mexico have horizontally mounted traffic lights. Same scenario with Mexico which varies from each city/state.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Hard to say because it seems that every country/city/state does things differently as far as color, mounting position, wether it is mounted on a pole or strung up on a cable, etc.

In my travels throughout the US most states have vertical traffic lights but a few such as Wisconsin, Texas, and New Mexico have horizontally mounted traffic lights. Same scenario with Mexico which varies from each city/state.
I think it's fair to say, though, that based on photos I've seen on Google Maps, traffic light designs - in terms of, say, colours - vary less within a country like Argentina (despite being federal like Mexico and the US) than within Mexico and within the US?

Old 10-03-2013, 09:23 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Typical British traffic light:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/040929...hts_sensor.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 10-04-2013 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 10-04-2013, 12:57 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well not always. In florida the lights hang from metal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World