Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 11:37 PM

360 posts, read 982,457 times

Advertisements

Talking about the least introverted nations, the US comes to mind. America is largely known for rewarding extroverts because its culture encourage and develop risk-takers and leaders so to speak.

But regarding the most introverted ones, Japan and Germany come to my mind.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 04:06 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
Hmmm, I would say developing countries are more extroverted than the US. African countries and India come to mind. The US' suburban nature kind of cuts people off from each other.

As for introverted, I actually say the UK, particularly England, might be up there. The British are generally a very private people. Scandinavians are very reserved, especially Swedes. Germans a bit less so. Russia too. The Japanese actually seem quite communal and sometimes can be pretty crazy/showy/extroverted. But I suppose a lot of them do seem pretty reserved. Canada might be another one too.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:42 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,558 times
I think Canada is pretty introverted. Everytime I go somewhere foreign, I'm always thrown off by how often I'm being engaged in something I wanted no part in.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:07 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,871,459 times
Northern irish are very quiet and the English are very loud.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:27 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
Talking about the least introverted nations, the US comes to mind. America is largely known for rewarding extroverts because its culture encourage and develop risk-takers and leaders so to speak.

But regarding the most introverted ones, Japan and Germany come to my mind.

What do you all think?

You're right about the USA. But the most introverted nation by far is North Korea. No other nation comes close. Bulgaria or Albania were a close second in the Cold War Era, but since the communist regimes in those countries dissolved, not any more.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:02 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Northern irish are very quiet and the English are very loud.
Pretty much goes against every stereotype available LOL.

The English are very loud after consuming alcohol, but that's it.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:15 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
I'm an extroverted person, and have rather few introverted traits.

But I couldn't care less to talking to people on the street. Stupid small talk and shallow compliments are boring, unnecessary and a complete waste of time. Come shouting to me like on an Indian bazaar and you'll get a fist in your eye. People in some countries behave as animals, I guess that is extraversion then...

But if you want to grab a beer and discuss something interesting or go to a football match, I'm in.

In my view there isn't any extroverted or introverted countries, as introversion and extraversion are personal traits. There's just different cultures, social norms and agrees behavior. If an American tells you compliments and I don't (because I don't do that if it's not justified) that tells nothing about who is more extroverted or who isn't.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:21 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
In my view there isn't any extroverted or introverted countries, as introversion and extraversion are personal traits. There's just different cultures, social norms and agrees behavior. If an American tells you compliments and I don't (because I don't do that if it's not justified) that tells nothing about who is more extroverted or who isn't.
Yes, but I think the reason why some countries have a really out there exterior is because they have more of a collective of similar personalities. If you see a bunch of gregarious people in country X on the street, chances are they are like that at home too.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:34 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Yes, but I think the reason why some countries have a really out there exterior is because they have more of a collective of similar personalities. If you see a bunch of gregarious people in country X on the street, chances are they are like that at home too.
Well, how about domestic violence? You don't see people having a fistfight on the street, but the quiet guy may go home and beat his wife every week. Or the quiet shy guy at work who goes completely nuts during a hockey game? Or that nice and calm hairdresser you frequent, but she's got the worst kind of road rage syndrome. And how about that talkative and savvy car dealer who sells the most cars in town every month? He goes camping every weekend. Alone. Because he doesn't like company.

People act differently in different situations, and usually act how they are used to and how they're expected to act. How people act on the street doesn't tell much. I don't have sex on the street, but that doesn't mean I don't have sex at all.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:40 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times
Indeed. As a teenager, I was pretty loud and shouty around friends and family, but very quiet around people I didn't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World