Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 01:01 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
How about this for an interesting French sound?

Patricia Kaas - Mon Mec a Moi - YouTube
She has a slight Gwyn Stephani sound to her. I can imagine this song being in English actually..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 11:09 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Not the lyrics or language. Most Americans like the sound of French. There's just a certain characteristic sound in the music. Hard for me to put my finger on it. Besides British music and other European music sung in English, Americans would most likely listen to something German it seems. Maybe Swedish too. Those two countries produce music that has this certain other quality that many do find appealing. Not saying it's popular but I think there have been more German and certain more Swedish artist popular in the US when their songs are in English than French artist who may have songs in English. Being a musician myself, I realize that each culture has a certain way of making the music sound. the only way I am able to really reproduce a German sound is to do a direct cover of a song by such an artist.
Americans like David Guetta(pretty sure I spelled his last name wrong) it seems like now every songs is featuring David Guetta, I would say Americans like artists from the UK and that is really it, we do like other artists that are extended throughout through Europe like David Guetta though.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Americans like David Guetta(pretty sure I spelled his last name wrong) it seems like now every songs is featuring David Guetta, I would say Americans like artists from the UK and that is really it, we do like other artists that are extended throughout through Europe like David Guetta though.
Sweden is another place that produces some artist Americans like. Abba and Ace Of Base come to mind.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:24 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I remember Alizee from that Moi...Lolita song way back in the day.

I know plenty of Dutch artists that deserve to be more famous abroad. We have a lot of great pop music, which is why I don't agree with people who say music nowadays sucks; that is only if you're completely insulated and not open to music from other countries (even if it's in English).

Some examples of current Dutch artists:

Racoon

^ Also check out Love You More, Don't Give Up The Fight, No Mercy, Laugh About It and Feel Like Flying

Alain Clark

^ Also check out This Ain't Gonna Work and Blow Me Away (filmed in NYC)

Caro Emerald

^ Also check out Riviera Life and That Man

There is so much good music out there nowadays, you just have to know where to look.

@ Jtur, I can assure you that 99% of Europeans have never heard of those artists you mentioned either. And I'm pretty sure people in India, Africa and China aren't familiar with major European artists who don't sing in English either.
Caro Emerald!! I heard song by her in a restaurant here in the USA. I asked the staff who made the song. No one knew what it was or who it was.

And this was the song:

Caro Emerald Riviera life - YouTube

Old 10-05-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Sweden is another place that produces some artist Americans like. Abba and Ace Of Base come to mind.
I was just listening to some European artists on ITunes(I clicked on the countries flag I want to look at, at the bottom right corner) and gosh I am very surprised how come some of these artists aren't famous here in America, Stomea, naughty boys and all those great artists seem to me that they would do well in America, the problem is,is that America music industry is very big in fact maybe even a little too big, while looking at countries ITunes top 10 I realized a lot of these artists are from America but their big hits are not well known in America, for example Jason Derulo has a popular song called "talk dirty" no one has a clue here in America that Jason is scoring big in Europe with his music.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I was just listening to some European artists on ITunes(I clicked on the countries flag I want to look at, at the bottom right corner) and gosh I am very surprised how come some of these artists aren't famous here in America, Stomea, naughty boys and all those great artists seem to me that they would do well in America, the problem is,is that America music industry is very big in fact maybe even a little too big, while looking at countries ITunes top 10 I realized a lot of these artists are from America but their big hits are not well known in America, for example Jason Derulo has a popular song called "talk dirty" no one has a clue here in America that Jason is scoring big in Europe with his music.
You hit the nail on the head about the music industry. Even some American artist got their start in Europe before becoming famous here. N-Sync did that.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head about the music industry. Even some American artist got their start in Europe before becoming famous here. N-Sync did that.
Yes, I have heard many times before that American music artists start in Europe first because people accept new artists better then in America.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:38 AM

Some of the music Americans like are just terrible and this is coming from a college student...listen to this song its number 7 on the ITunes chart in America, I seriously started laughing so hard when I heard it that this song was actually well liked by people here, it makes me sad... HAHAHAHA its so bad. Its just so BAD HAHA

Ylvis - The Fox (What does the Fox say?) [Official music video HD] - YouTube

Old 10-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Yes, I have heard many times before that American music artists start in Europe first because people accept new artists better then in America.
This is especially true in Germany. Another thing is, an artist has many national markets to chose from. Songs can be promoted in a half dozen countries. Like many idie artist in the USA, I am not even trying to get the big boys to notice me. I know how to do everything on my own from registering and securing copyrights, I'm registered with a performing rights organization (PRO) and even purchased my own ISRC codes.

Anyway, way off track. the point is, I think other markets have so much because they are not as difficult to break into. like you noticed on itunes, there's lots of good music out there.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Some of the music Americans like are just terrible and this is coming from a college student...listen to this song its number 7 on the ITunes chart in America, I seriously started laughing so hard when I heard it that this song was actually well liked by people here, it makes me sad... HAHAHAHA its so bad. Its just so BAD HAHA

Ylvis - The Fox (What does the Fox say?) [Official music video HD] - YouTube
That's absolutely horrid!!! Oh my God! I completely take back what I said earlier about that other song. Seriously...the bird goes tweet? the frog goes croak? This makes Rebecca Black look like a genius for telling us the days of the week. And the chorus is just animal imitations?Seriously...like...what?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World