Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 02:09 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times

Advertisements

Canada, Norway, Sweden, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Japan and Australia SHOULD be on every list in this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 02:30 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,802,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Canada, Norway, Sweden, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Japan and Australia SHOULD be on every list in this thread!
if you only consider quality of life, then - yes. if you consider living space (a thing that most people value highly) - no. the netherlands, switzerland and japan are all beutiful countries with very high living standards, but they're just to crowded to be able to contest with the low-population density I-countries. who want to be packed as a sardine on a huge polluted parking lot?

Old 10-08-2013, 03:35 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Ireland is ranked no 7 on the official list. It usually makes the list of the Top 10 developed countries and they measure all the countries by the same criteria so it must be doing something right.
I know that...I just thought ranking it so high would be something I wouldn't do, but hey its his opinion...

Old 10-08-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Knowing what I do I think the US shouldn't be anywhere near the top 10. It's probably one of the worst developed countries for quality of life. High unemployment, high inequality, high poverty rate for a developed nation, large groups of depravation, often public education system, high crime rate, no universal health care, no old age pension for many (so I've just been told).

I would rank them, in no particular order:

Sweden
Norway
Denmark
Luxembourg
The Netherlands
Leichenstein
Australia
Germany
Canada
Japan
Oh gosh where do I even start, high unemployment rate yeah right 7.3% is not high in fact its lower than Sweden and Bloomberg says it will be lower than Canada's by 2014, America's unemployment rate is going down faster than many of these countries. This website Top Countries On OECD Better Life Index - Business Insider ranks America as the 6th best in quality of life which is lower in numbers than most of the countries you listed, this website ranks America as the third best in quality of lifeModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed, nice try though.
Lets move onto poverty rate, America stands at 15% NOT below the poverty line but at, this happens to be lower than Sweden, Japan and yes even Germany, the rest of the countries rank very close to each other Australia being at 12%. Nice try again...
Crime rate is defiantly America is number 1 in in your list, the only thing that is higher is the murder rate everything else is very close.
Awful education system? Yes its pretty bad, sources defiantly show that, but America has the most best universities that rank well and even take the top spot as having the best university. We were named the second most educated country in the world(Canada 1st) and our iq is higher than Canada ironic...
What the heck no old age pension, yeah we have one...RESEARCH IT! You don't even know what your talking about...considering America is so big if you divide it up, places like the northeast would probably be the highest developed than all these countries.

Last edited by Yac; 10-10-2013 at 07:32 AM..

Old 10-08-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I don't live in ireland my love.
You live Ireland but Northern Ireland is referred to as Britain...So what's it like to live in Ireland my love?

Old 10-09-2013, 12:24 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
You live Ireland but Northern Ireland is referred to as Britain...So what's it like to live in Ireland my love?
Northern Ireland is considered part of the UK and when Ireland is on these lists it is the Republic of Ireland.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:50 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
True, but its where you ranked Ireland, I men your entitled to your own opinion I am just wondering why you ranked it so high? And having your own house eve if you don't have a job shows that the country is doing good financially. That unemployment...its 13.6% but it is starting to go down! Which is good news
Its development not unemployment.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:54 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
I know that...I just thought ranking it so high would be something I wouldn't do, but hey its his opinion...
And what would you know

Old 10-09-2013, 01:04 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
NZ comes in at 5th - cool.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:51 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
If you value quality of life, Japan (and South Korea) should not be in the top 30...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World