Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2013, 08:53 AM
 
Location: In the heights
37,236 posts, read 39,509,972 times
Reputation: 21319

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
If you value quality of life, Japan (and South Korea) should not be in the top 30...
Why? Japan, from my experiences, is pretty great. South Korea I've heard good things about but have never stayed very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2013, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,128 posts, read 24,840,231 times
Reputation: 11103
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Why? Japan, from my experiences, is pretty great. South Korea I've heard good things about but have never stayed very long.
If you wanna work yourself to death or commit suicide for failing your family name, sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,379 posts, read 5,541,840 times
Reputation: 4438
I always imagined Japan being one of the more playful of the North Asian countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,678 posts, read 7,222,822 times
Reputation: 1697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Northern Ireland is considered part of the UK and when Ireland is on these lists it is the Republic of Ireland.
Yep, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,678 posts, read 7,222,822 times
Reputation: 1697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Its development not unemployment.
Really I didn't know that, I thought development and unemployment were the same thing. Anyways unemployment takes a part in the development of the country because it effects the economy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,678 posts, read 7,222,822 times
Reputation: 1697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
And what would you know
Why? because its my opinion and that's your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 08:40 PM
 
Location: In the heights
37,236 posts, read 39,509,972 times
Reputation: 21319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
If you wanna work yourself to death or commit suicide for failing your family name, sure!
Japan's suicide rate is high, but not exorbitantly more so than a lot of European country. Work hours are high but it has gone down in recent years especially as it's become increasingly common for both spouses to be working in a household. Meanwhile, there are a lot of other factors where Japan does very well in such as life expectancy, infant mortality rate, income inequality, household earnings, environmental factors, homicide and crime rates overall, and general quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Earth
468 posts, read 617,065 times
Reputation: 555
Highest suicide rates by country

1 Greenland 133.6 79.2 108.1 2010[4]
2 South Korea 39.3 19.7 31.7 2011
3 Lithuania 54.6 11.6 31.6 2012
4 Guyana 39.0 13.4 26.4 2006
5 Kazakhstan 43.0 9.4 25.6 2008
6 Belarus 22.9 2011
7 China 22.23 2011
8 Slovenia 34.6 9.4 21.8 2011
9 Hungary 37.4 8.5 21.7 2009
10 Japan 21.7 2012

11 Sri Lanka 34.8 9.24 14.7 2011[13]
12 Ukraine 37.8 7.0 21.2 2009
13 Russia 20.2 2012
14 Croatia 30.2 10.0 19.7 2002
15 Latvia 18.2 2010 [16]
16 Moldova 17.4 2008
17 Serbia 24.9 9.0 17.3 2011[17]
18 Belgium 17[18] 2009
19 Finland 25.6 7.1 16.1 2011
20 Bhutan 16.2 2011
21 Uruguay 26.0 6.3 15.8 2004
22 South Africa 15.4 2005
23 Poland 27.8 3.8 15.3 2010
24 Taiwan 20.5 9.7 15.1 2011
25 Estonia 27.3 4.5 14.8 2010 [16]
26 France 22.8 7.4 14.7 2010 [16]
27 Suriname 23.9 4.8 14.4 2005
28 Bosnia and Herzegovina 13.3 2011
29 Austria 23.8 7.1 12.8 2009
30 Czech Republic 12.8 2010
31 Cuba 19.0 5.5 12.3 2008
32 Bulgaria 18.8 6.2 12.3 2008
33 United States 19.5 5.5 12.0 2009
34 Romania 20.8 3.7 11.9 2009
35 Norway 11.9 2011
36 Ireland 11.4 2011
37 United Kingdom 18.2 5.1 11.8 2011[26]
38 New Zealand 17.0 6.4 11.5 2010
39 Portugal 11.5 2011[28]
40 Canada 17.9 5.3 11.5 2009[29
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2013, 08:31 AM
 
Location: In the heights
37,236 posts, read 39,509,972 times
Reputation: 21319
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
Highest suicide rates by country

1 Greenland 133.6 79.2 108.1 2010[4]
2 South Korea 39.3 19.7 31.7 2011
3 Lithuania 54.6 11.6 31.6 2012
4 Guyana 39.0 13.4 26.4 2006
5 Kazakhstan 43.0 9.4 25.6 2008
6 Belarus 22.9 2011
7 China 22.23 2011
8 Slovenia 34.6 9.4 21.8 2011
9 Hungary 37.4 8.5 21.7 2009
10 Japan 21.7 2012

11 Sri Lanka 34.8 9.24 14.7 2011[13]
12 Ukraine 37.8 7.0 21.2 2009
13 Russia 20.2 2012
14 Croatia 30.2 10.0 19.7 2002
15 Latvia 18.2 2010 [16]
16 Moldova 17.4 2008
17 Serbia 24.9 9.0 17.3 2011[17]
18 Belgium 17[18] 2009
19 Finland 25.6 7.1 16.1 2011
20 Bhutan 16.2 2011
21 Uruguay 26.0 6.3 15.8 2004
22 South Africa 15.4 2005
23 Poland 27.8 3.8 15.3 2010
24 Taiwan 20.5 9.7 15.1 2011
25 Estonia 27.3 4.5 14.8 2010 [16]
26 France 22.8 7.4 14.7 2010 [16]
27 Suriname 23.9 4.8 14.4 2005
28 Bosnia and Herzegovina 13.3 2011
29 Austria 23.8 7.1 12.8 2009
30 Czech Republic 12.8 2010
31 Cuba 19.0 5.5 12.3 2008
32 Bulgaria 18.8 6.2 12.3 2008
33 United States 19.5 5.5 12.0 2009
34 Romania 20.8 3.7 11.9 2009
35 Norway 11.9 2011
36 Ireland 11.4 2011
37 United Kingdom 18.2 5.1 11.8 2011[26]
38 New Zealand 17.0 6.4 11.5 2010
39 Portugal 11.5 2011[28]
40 Canada 17.9 5.3 11.5 2009[29
Yes, that's what we're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:35 AM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
11,655 posts, read 12,982,505 times
Reputation: 6391
France and South Korea may be in top 25, but not top 10.

I'd put Denmark and Germany instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top