Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the USA the most beautiful country in the world?
Yes 37 30.58%
No 84 69.42%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 07:36 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
America could be the most beautiful country in the world, but we have worked pretty hard over the past 50 or 60 years to make it much uglier than it needs to be. The biggest reason for American's ugliness: the fact we build everything to accommodate the private automobile.

America has plenty of lush forests, majestic mountains, and beautiful city skylines. But to get to any of that, you have to drive past endless miles of Wal-Marts and Pizza Huts and Burger Kings and strip malls and other horrible-looking, auto-centric architecture. Most American towns and cities have zero character or charm. They are just giant, bland malls surrounded by cookie-cutter subdivisions. Again, all built around cars.
Again subjective.

Some people prefer those environments beautiful and prefer them to old brick buildings.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:40 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Again subjective.

Some people prefer those environments beautiful and prefer them to old brick buildings.
I'm sorry, but the number of people who like autocentric architecture is vanishingly small.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:40 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Again subjective.

I agree with that. I LOVE old brick buildings. I hate the sprawl though. Buildings set away from the street. An island in a paved sea. North America just LOVES doing that.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:43 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yeah; from previously spending years wandering throughout the areas of southwestern AZ you can call most of it desert but that doesn't describe the variations of desert within the area. Around Yuma for instance you have what is arguably the worlds biggest and ugliest gravel pit called a desert while just a scant half hour drive west to the Imperial Sand Dunes and you'll see the classice beautiful rolling golden dunes stretching for miles.

When one considers the previously mentioned 'ugly' desert comprised of what would be disdainfully called pit-run (the crap left over from crushing stones into various grades of gravel) from any operating gravel pit, one also has to consider a wet year bringing out the desert blossoms in full bloom and you would not believe the transformation that takes place to that ugly barren wasteland when it breaks out in full purple, white, red splendour.

Subjectivity also has to have the various seasons added into the equation.

If any of you had ever ridden one of the scenic cars of a Canadian Pacific or Canadian National train through the Roger's Pass area of British Columbia's Mountain Range during a hard winter's mid-night and experienced the northern lights with a full moon reflecting off all the snow laden evergreens and mountain slopes, well...
I think some of the US's most beautiful landscapes are in the deserts. Like Arches/Zion/Bryce in Utah, Painted Desert in NM, Carlsbad Caverns, Joshua Tree NP, Death Valley, mountains in Nevada, AZ, CA.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
Puerto Rico is stunning. Nowhere in Florida even comes close. Sorry.
Hawaii beats PR though. That place is amazing.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:46 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think some of the US's most beautiful landscapes are in the deserts. Like Arches/Zion/Bryce in Utah, Painted Desert in NM, Carlsbad Caverns, Joshua Tree NP, Death Valley, mountains in Nevada, AZ, CA.
The painted desert is very beautiful. I haven't been yet but I most certainly will before I leave this world!

Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
The painted desert is very beautiful. I haven't been yet but I most certainly will before I leave this world!
Yeah I went through the SW but being on a tour didn't see a lot I wanted to. I will on my next trip.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:50 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
If you like those places you'd love the Badlands in South Dakota.

Last edited by Rozenn; 10-07-2013 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 10-06-2013, 08:12 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
The Continental 48 US States alone would leave room for plenty of competition, but we got Alaska and Hawaii, that puts it over the top.

Island of Kauai, Hawaii - YouTube

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...n/P6190832.jpg

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...psdc5aafaf.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 10-07-2013 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I think it is! And that isn't just my bias because I am an American.

Any type of climate or landscape can be found here and we even have several landscapes unique to us that no one else has. I was born just outside of the Everglades in south Florida and that scenery doesn't exist anywhere else.

I don't think other big countries like Russia or Canada can compare because they lack tropical climate within their borders.

I think the only place that could really contend with us in terms of natural beauty is China.

What do you all think?

No it is not, imo. Beautiful yes, but not the most beautiful. Your opinion is very subjective and biased. The US is a beautiful country, but so are many other places. The US just does a good PR job pushing iconic images around the world. Read some travel blogs from other places and see what people around the world have to say. You talk about the Everglades. How bout the thousands of miles of undeveloped shoreline in Australia? Just as an example, Florida is chock a block development along the coasts with the houses being pushed further and further right up to the border of the Everglades. The Everglades are like a tiny little carved out piece of undeveloped Florida surrounded by nothing but suburban sprawl. Argentina has stunning mountains and glaciers, etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World