Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the USA the most beautiful country in the world?
Yes 37 30.58%
No 84 69.42%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 09:03 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,923,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Anybody here ever been to the Greek Isles? I could easily spend my remaining years there enjoying the small cafes and fishing villages along with water you can see clear to the bottom without needing to snorkel down to catch a glimpse of a rare fish.

I've had this argument with Americans before about having the greatest beaches in the world here lol. American beaches are, meh, for the most part. There are hundreds of pocket beaches around the Med that make American beaches look like crap. Most of the coast from southern NC down thru to northern Florida has the ugliest brown murky water you will find anywhere. That same ugly water with brown dingy sand picks back up in Louisiana and goes all the way to South Texas. The West Coast for the most part has water so cold you can't go in. The southern part of CA is the only place you can swim.

So no, when it comes to beaches the US is an also ran. I was reading a travel blog written by Australians visiting Folly Beach outside Charleston. They wouldn't go in the water cause it was so muddy and brown looking. Welcome to the beaches of the southeast.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:08 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What country has a grand canyon?

Lmfao at the butthurt.... its okay people, some of us think the US is beautiful. Get over it.
Thinking the US is beautiful isn't the same as objectively thinking it's the MOST beautiful in the world.

The OP made the claim, did he expect everyone to agree with him? It's called a discussion/having an opinion.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:10 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I've had this argument with Americans before about having the greatest beaches in the world here lol. American beaches are, meh, for the most part. There are hundreds of pocket beaches around the Med that make American beaches look like crap. Most of the coast from southern NC down thru to northern Florida has the ugliest brown murky water you will find anywhere. That same ugly water with brown dingy sand picks back up in Louisiana and goes all the way to South Texas. The West Coast for the most part has water so cold you can't go in. The southern part of CA is the only place you can swim.

So no, when it comes to beaches the US is an also ran. I was reading a travel blog written by Australians visiting Folly Beach outside Charleston. They wouldn't go in the water cause it was so muddy and brown looking. Welcome to the beaches of the southeast.
I'm Australian, I've been to hundreds of beaches around Australia and Asia, so I don't really get excited by them. I was excited to the beach at Coney Island merely because I could say I dipped my toes into the Atlantic, so that's all 3 of the major oceans now.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What country has a grand canyon?

Lmfao at the butthurt.... its okay people, some of us think the US is beautiful. Get over it.
Lol. You think we are hurt? Not at all. I as an American am just embarrassed this gets put out there by someone and undermines those of us trying to change our boorish image. I can't remember the last time I saw someone from another country post such a blatantly biased post to cause trouble. Do you ever see people in the UK doing this, or Germany, Australia, China, Canada, etc.? I don't. I just don't understand what drives some Americans to engage in this kind of baiting of people from other countries.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:12 PM

27,557 posts, read 28,647,655 times
I have lived in the U.S. almost my entire life. I think it's a beautiful country. But most beautiful? No, not for the most part.

I'd say that Alaska could probably compete with anywhere in the world in terms of beauty. But to my taste, Switzerland, Norway, New Zealand, Nepal, Peru and many other countries beat the lower-48 states in the U.S.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:14 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,279 times
Quote:
No it doesn't. It is barely if even tropical, and only along the coasts, not the interior. They get temps in the 30'sF just about every winter, and when winters like the 1980's return, they will have freezes in Miami again. 1989 wiped out loads of coconut palms throughout Florida. Also in the 80's thousands and thousands of citrus trees were killed outright. You wouldn't know as you weren't even born. You know nothing of which you speak.
Um. Yes it does!!

Tropical climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take note of the beautiful picture of Naples, Fl (my hometown) showing off its tropical climate.

You are not allowed to use outlier years (like your supposed 1980s freeze) to discredit an areas climate. What about the past two years that had some of the warmest winter temps on record? Using your logic, I could even say that Tampa (where I currently live) has a tropical climate because for the past two years the area completely fell within tropical temperatures. Not once did the area even come close to freezing and all throughout January and February the temps reached into the mid 80s.

You know nothing of which you speak (how does that feel?)!

Old 10-06-2013, 09:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Lol. You think we are hurt? Not at all. I as an American am just embarrassed this gets put out there by someone and undermines those of us trying to change our boorish image. I can't remember the last time I saw someone from another country post such a blatantly biased post to cause trouble. Do you ever see people in the UK doing this, or Germany, Australia, China, Canada, etc.? I don't. I just don't understand what drives some Americans to engage in this kind of baiting of people from other countries.
Yea, this thread is a bit embarrassing. There are good way to show off nice things about your country and then... this.

Quote:
For swimming, most of the West Coast is terrible. But from northern Oregon to just north of Los Angeles, much of the Pacific Coast is hills plunging into the sea. Post pictures later. Dunno where else is similar, I think Italy has some. Come to think of it, I think the Mediterranean packs a lot scenery in a small area. The one thing you do get in the US (and Canada) is very large stretches of beautiful natural scenery that's relatively untouched by human development. Much rarer in the Old World, unsure how South America compares.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:23 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,279 times
Quote:
No it is not, imo. Beautiful yes, but not the most beautiful. Your opinion is very subjective and biased. The US is a beautiful country, but so are many other places. The US just does a good PR job pushing iconic images around the world. Read some travel blogs from other places and see what people around the world have to say. You talk about the Everglades. How bout the thousands of miles of undeveloped shoreline in Australia? Just as an example, Florida is chock a block development along the coasts with the houses being pushed further and further right up to the border of the Everglades. The Everglades are like a tiny little carved out piece of undeveloped Florida surrounded by nothing but suburban sprawl. Argentina has stunning mountains and glaciers, etc. etc.
I bet Australia has some beautiful scenery! How about posting pictures for all to see.

And America has stunning mountains and glaciers too, just saying. I don't see anything that Argentina could have that America doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Um. Yes it does!!

Tropical climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take note of the beautiful picture of Naples, Fl (my hometown) showing off its tropical climate.

You are not allowed to use outlier years (like your supposed 1980s freeze) to discredit an areas climate. What about the past two years that had some of the warmest winter temps on record? Using your logic, I could even say that Tampa (where I currently live) has a tropical climate because for the past two years the area completely fell within tropical temperatures. Not once did the area even come close to freezing and all throughout January and February the temps reached into the mid 80s.

You know nothing of which you speak (how does that feel?)!

Take a look at the USDA zonal maps and get back to me. The vast majority of your state is in zone 8 and 9. Those zones have annual winter min temps of upper teens F to 30F. Orlando has a freeze just about every other year. Freezes occurred in 2011 in S. Florida. Remember all the lizards dropping out of the trees dead from the cold in Miami? December 2010 and Naples, FL had an average high/low for the month of 68.3/46.9F. Those are subtropical temps not tropical. Ask the people that live in the real tropics when was the last time they had a winter month with those kinds of averages.

423 posts, read 414,739 times
Having traveled extensively, some of the most beautiful countries I've visited include Italy, Switzerland, Norway, New Zealand, and Austria.

I would at least place the US below any of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World