Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In the USA women have the option of keeping their surname, adding the husband's family name to theirs (meaning having 2 last names) or going the traditional route of simply changing their surname to their husband's family name.
That varies by state, and in some states, needs to be legally formalized at the time of marriage. This might have changed, but in Michigan, in about 2000, it was still illegal for a married women to NOT use her husband's name, unless a formal, legal name change had been instituted at the time of marriage validating her retention of her maiden name. A woman could actually be prosecuted for continuing to "falsely" use her "illegal" maiden name after marriage. You can't just say "Yes, I'm married, but I just never started using my husband's name." (I have no citation, but that is what a lawyer told me at the time.)

Back to the main OP, in the United States, Hispanic surnames are quickly moving up into the top ten, largely due to the fact that a very large number of Hispanic people share a rather small number of very common names. This phenomenon reaches an extreme among Koreans, where seemingly a sheer majority of people are surnamed either Kim or Park.

An anecdotal example, here in my pharmacy counter in South Texas, they have filing cabinets with drawers for Rx waiting to be picked up, alphabetized by name. The drawers have the following labels on them:
A-B
C-D
E-F
Garcia - Garza
G-H
etc.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-09-2013 at 06:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 06:43 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,728,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
So these are get-togethers and social clubs for prominent families, right? Can anyone join, or are these some kind of invite-only groups? Please explain, I can't understand everything in that article.
You have to be invited. Parents (often mothers) organize parties and invite parents who have children roughly the same age and who are part of the same socio-professional group. Nobility isn't a must, only relative wealth, but the only people I know who took part to such parties have noble surnames, sometimes very long (for example de Xxx de la Xxxx). The goal is bonding, ideally leading to marriages among the same rallye group. Rallies can gather up to several hundreds of persons.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:07 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
You have to be invited. Parents (often mothers) organize parties and invite parents who have children roughly the same age and who are part of the same socio-professional group. Nobility isn't a must, only relative wealth, but the only people I know who took part to such parties have noble surnames, sometimes very long (for example de Xxx de la Xxxx). The goal is bonding, ideally leading to marriages among the same rallye group. Rallies can gather up to several hundreds of persons.
Just as I thought. Sound "lovely" elitistic...

The surname of the coach of the Finnish national basketball team is Dettmann, so if he changes it to 'de Ttmann', maybe his kids will get invited. Or a guy called 'de Mpsey'.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:25 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,453,368 times
From Wikipedia, in 2001 year most widespread Ukrainian surnames are:
1. Shevchenko
2. Melnyk
3. Kovalenko
4. Bondarenko
5. Tkachenko
6. Kravchenko
7. Kovalchuk
8. Koval
9. Shevchuk
10. Savchenko
11. Lysenko
12. Moroz
13. Tkachuk
14. Petrenko
15. Bondar

Old 10-09-2013, 07:53 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Just as I thought. Sound "lovely" elitistic...

The surname of the coach of the Finnish national basketball team is Dettmann, so if he changes it to 'de Ttmann', maybe his kids will get invited. Or a guy called 'de Mpsey'.
Haha... Our unofficial organization for that stuff is the ambulance service of the Order of Malta (Malteser Hilfsdienst). Young people join them to do voluntary ambulance driving, but end up marrying another member. Lots of Kinskys, Schwarzenbergs, Starhembergs, Auerspergs and even some Liechtensteins and Habsburgs can be found there

Old 10-09-2013, 08:10 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,728,455 times
Haha Dettmann and Dempsey can probably do without changing their names, since they have the €€€. I think being catholic and attending a private school are pluses.

Though Dettmann du Panier (basket) sounds alright.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Haha... Our unofficial organization for that stuff is the ambulance service of the Order of Malta (Malteser Hilfsdienst). Young people join them to do voluntary ambulance driving, but end up marrying another member. Lots of Kinskys, Schwarzenbergs, Starhembergs, Auerspergs and even some Liechtensteins and Habsburgs can be found there
Wow, that is so cool! I would've signed up 5 years ago despite being just petty bourgeoisie.

BTW, unlike in Austria the nobility ranks weren't abolished in independent Finland and are represented in the House of Nobility in Helsinki. They have exclusive meetings and get-togethers every year, and only people having the name at birth (or spouses or in some cases avecs) may attend. Nobody really knows what's happening there, but I suspect heavy drinking, networking and coupling. Most of the families are loaded. So if you want to marry rich and noble in Finland, keep a lookout for these names and according ranks:

Kurfürst: Menshikoff (apparently extinct in Finland, but keep an eye on)

Graf: Aminoff, Armfelt, Berg (check their background as they might turn out as common folk), Creutz, Cronhjelm af Hakunge, de Geer Till Tervik, Kuscheleff-Besborodko, Mannerheim, Stewen-Steinheil, van Suchtelen, Zakrewsky

Freiherr: all names beginning with von, zu, af, de, de la.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:00 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,029 times
Yeah, I snapped a shot of a member of the House of Nobility during our visit in August.
Attached Thumbnails
Most usual surname/family name of your country.-randoms258.jpg  

Old 10-09-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Yeah, I snapped a shot of a member of the House of Nobility during our visit in August.
I know that picture isn't from Finland as we don't have burger king.

Here's a picture I took from a House of Nobility event:
http://static.naamapalmu.com/files/b...R3IeQMTGZ.jpeg

Last edited by Rozenn; 10-09-2013 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 10-09-2013, 09:52 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
In America, the upper-class society traditionally have had Debutante - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia balls.

Higher-class African-American families have this organization http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_and_Jill_(organization)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World