Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 09:27 PM

468 posts, read 615,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I don't take the list serious because Tokyo is not on it.
Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
NYC is an amazing city, don't get me wrong.

I'm certainly not claiming that it is completely lacking architectural merit. In my opinion the Chrysler and Flatiron Buildings are probably the most beautiful highrises in the world. My comments are only meant in a comparative and general sense.

For a direct visual juxtaposition of what I mean, try running both videos below at the same time for a comparison of Midtown Manhattan vs the London West End:

I don't think that video is a very fair comparison as far as NYC goes.

Sure, London looks nice, but was that your intention? To find the dullest looking video of Manhattan and compare it with a comparatively nice one of London? Because NYC is architecturally and aesthetically beautiful in many areas, but it does look very bland in that video. It doesn't paint a fair enough picture of NYC and how beautiful it can be - from Gramercy Park, to Brooklyn, to the Upper East Side and Park Slope, New York is very impressive in the way it presents itself.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
You are "juxtaposing" Regent Street, perhaps the most beautiful grand avenue in all of London against the Penn Station area in Manhattan and think that's a representative comparison? That's like comparing Fifth Avenue to the streets around Kings Cross.
Exactly. The person who posted those videos was trying to make NYC look like a dump and paint London as a picturesque wonderland through and through.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
I know right, NYC should've been much higher, Vienna, Melbourne and possibly Sydney shouldn't even be there.
Ugh, please. Sydney and Melbourne are totally worthy cities, which is why they are consistently being ranked as the most desirable places to live.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:05 PM

296 posts, read 469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
I don't think that video is a very fair comparison as far as NYC goes.

Sure, London looks nice, but was that your intention? To find the dullest looking video of Manhattan and compare it with a comparatively nice one of London? Because NYC is architecturally and aesthetically beautiful in many areas, but it does look very bland in that video. It doesn't paint a fair enough picture of NYC and how beautiful it can be - from Gramercy Park, to Brooklyn, to the Upper East Side and Park Slope, New York is very impressive in the way it presents itself.
I think the point is that these nice areas of New York are less likely to be seen by tourists than Midtown.
This thread being about tourist perceptions rather than what you actually find in these cities if you go beyond the tourist track.
Kudos for mentioning Brooklyn though. If only we can get more tourists to look at the charming areas downtown and in the heights to see the eclectic range of street level experiences New York offers. That would be awesome.

BTW that horrible hollow, sucking sensation you get when watching the video of New York with the plastic shop fronts is the soulless aberration known as gentrification. You find it not only on the 34th but all throughout Manhattan. It is a big problem.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:28 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,921,302 times
Does kind of seem strange to me to see Sydney on there, let alone at almost the top spot. I rarely meet an American who is chomping at the bit to go to Sydney over Rome, Tokyo, Vienna, or Paris. I rarely even hear the city mentioned as if it carries any real importance in the everyday affairs of the world. Yeah right.

I would jump in a heart beat to go to a place like Tokyo or Rome over Sydney in a minute. Australia, a nice and beautiful country as it is, just doesn't seem nearly an interesting place as Japan or Italy. A country of 20M people, and their city outranks Rome, NYC and Tokyo. It is laughable. I think they polled mostly Brits and Australians for this, lol. If you have ever been to the UK you will rightly note this weird obsession Brits have with Australia. Most of them would choose Sydney over NYC for obvious biased reasons imo.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:32 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,921,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The criteria were these:

international status and standing
aesthetic;
pre-requisites such as affordable accommodations and the standard of public amenities;
people;
pulse (interesting things to do)
economic and educational potential.

If they are all weighted relatively equally, I am really surprised to find Toronto on there, and above Vienna and Melbourne. (Though I would definitely rank Toronto in the top 20.)
Explain how Sydney outranks NYC in these categories alone. Does Australia even have a university to compete with Columbia, NYU, Fordham? Australia doesn't particularly strike me as the bastion of higher Ed.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:32 AM

484 posts, read 871,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigoriachel View Post
NY only fourth. Right.

And LA above Vienna, Tokyo, San Francisco, Chicago and Boston. Right.
Yup, seems about right (with the exception of Tokyo missing entirely from the top 10).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
LA 7 in the world?

thats ridiculous
Get over it.

And your fellow Argentinians seem to view Los Angeles favorably, at least according to the newest Ipsos MORI Top Cities survey - Argentinians ranking LA 5th for "Do Business In," 7th for "Live In," 6th for "Visit" and 6th "Overall." Ipsos MORI | Poll | The world

Old 10-11-2013, 02:05 AM

872 posts, read 1,384,779 times
Quote:

Pretty much.

The purpose was to show the worst aspects of Midtown and compare them to a more pleasant high tourist-volume public realm. If you compare Fifth Avenue, (at least the first 4 or so blocks due south from the Apple Store) to the same video of the West End, then obviously the comparison is a lot more favourable.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:48 AM

296 posts, read 469,000 times
Quote:
Exactly. The person who posted those videos was trying to make NYC look like a dump and paint London as a picturesque wonderland through and through.
The video is actually a reasonably good ( though slightly idealized) representation of the feel of central london in fine weather. And it doesnt show areas like knightsbridge, mayfair, kensington and chelsea, geographically speaking a vast area which is actually more impressive and upmarket than the west end ... Though very exclusive with the price tag to match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World