Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:23 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Well, NYC won this poll taken in Sept of 2013. They polled 18,000 people in 24 countries about which was the best city in the world.

The Best Cities In The World By Ipsos - Business Insider

Ipsos, a market research organization, recently conducted a poll to find The World's Favorite City.

The company polled more than 18,000 people in 24 countries to find out the best cities to do business in, live in, and visit.
Ipsos then tallied the responses to determine which global cities ranked the highest across all three categories.
The overall winner this year was New York, followed by London, Paris, Abu Dhabi, and Sydney.

Personally I think Sydney is punching way above its weight, but certainly nice to see it is behind NY and Paris.

What is interesting is the poll actually tallied what the people in each country also thought was the top city. So, for instance, Japan residents ranked Tokyo as number 1.

UK residents chose NYC (am very surprised they did not choose London).

And of course, Australians chose Sydney as the number one city in the world. Truly amazing considering the size of the country. They seem as bad as Americans in the whole, "greatest country in the world" crap.
I have a friend that lives in Australia, I don't even know what she is studying, but we kind of got into a debate about what country is better America or Australia, I was trying to be the least bias I could but she was saying really preposterous things like America has the number 1 prostitution in the world and Americans are all fat and stupid, and I kept thinking to myself what the heck has she become she used to love and live in America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 09:31 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBucks View Post
I think the point is that these nice areas of New York are less likely to be seen by tourists than Midtown.
This thread being about tourist perceptions rather than what you actually find in these cities if you go beyond the tourist track.
Kudos for mentioning Brooklyn though. If only we can get more tourists to look at the charming areas downtown and in the heights to see the eclectic range of street level experiences New York offers. That would be awesome.
Agreed! I truly believe Brooklyn Heights is one of the gems (as far as neighborhoods) NY offers that's sort of like a secret.

Here are some videos I'd like to share, the first one about the history of the neighborhood. The second more recent and more of a tour.

Historic Brooklyn Heights - YouTube

New York City - Video tour of Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn (Part 1) - YouTube

Old 10-13-2013, 08:57 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Quote:
And of course, Australians chose Sydney as the number one city in the world. Truly amazing considering the size of the country. They seem as bad as Americans in the whole, "greatest country in the world" crap.
They weren't the only ones though.
Quote:
Canada hearts Toronto
Quote:
China thinks Hong Kong is the greatest city
Quote:
France loves Paris
Quote:
Germany chose Berlin as its favorite city
Quote:
Japan really, really loves Tokyo
Quote:
South Korea is very proud of Seoul
Quote:
Turkey loves its Istanbul

Old 10-13-2013, 11:07 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
The greatest cities in the world are: New York, London, Paris, Tokyo.

They are the global standard. Everything else comes after that.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:49 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The greatest cities in the world are: New York, London, Paris, Tokyo.

They are the global standard. Everything else comes after that.

Would someone mind explaining to me why Sydney keeps showing up on these kinds of lists. I'm baffled. I rarely hear it mentioned in the news except around New Years when they light off that bridge. Australia is a nation of 20M people, and despite being a beautiful and am sure great country to live in, it really isn't that important in the affairs of the world on a day to day basis. It really doesn't belong in the same league as London, NY, Tokyo, Paris, etc. They market themselves really well. The mainstay of the Australian economy is exporting raw materials to China. Their two largest car mfr's are subsidiaries of American companies. I really can't think of any large Australian corporations making a huge difference in the world. No, the premier Australian city does not belong in the top five. Sorry. Their largest corporation sells minerals to China. Yeah, Billiton is certainly on the lips of most people in the world. Meanwhile in the US we have Apple, Exxon, Ford, General Electric, General Motors, etc.

The number one corporation in Australia had revenues of $39B. You have to go to number 73 Humana to reach that same revenue value for the US. Australia's economy is tiny and their number one city doesn't belong anywhere near any of these lists.

Australia's 40 Largest Companies - Forbes

The distant, isolated continent of Australia may not spring to mind as a financial hub on the scale of New York, London or Tokyo, but its rich home-grown resources are catching the eye of international markets.
Nowhere is this more obvious than in this year’s Forbes 40 Australia, our annual ranking of the country’s 40 largest companies, which has seen the energy and mining sector lifted by strong demand from booming foreign markets such as China. Australia has abundant reserves of coal, base metals and petroleum, and in September, Chinese President Hu Jintao signed a series of energy agreements designed to bring the two economies even closer together.
The commodity boom and consolidation in the mining sector have combined to make BHP Billiton Australia’s largest company this year. The world’s largest miner delivered record profits and doubled its total market capitalization year-on-year to $220.9 billion, incorporating both its London and Sydney listings.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:55 PM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
LA at number 8? Someone must have been smoking or taking some pretty good drugs. LA is probably a 2nd tier city at best: high unemployment, high taxes, horrific traffic congestion, gang problems, inept city government, unfriendly business taxes/environment, etc, etc

Old 10-14-2013, 12:29 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Would someone mind explaining to me why Sydney keeps showing up on these kinds of lists. I'm baffled. I rarely hear it mentioned in the news except around New Years when they light off that bridge. Australia is a nation of 20M people, and despite being a beautiful and am sure great country to live in, it really isn't that important in the affairs of the world on a day to day basis. It really doesn't belong in the same league as London, NY, Tokyo, Paris, etc. They market themselves really well. The mainstay of the Australian economy is exporting raw materials to China. Their two largest car mfr's are subsidiaries of American companies. I really can't think of any large Australian corporations making a huge difference in the world. No, the premier Australian city does not belong in the top five. Sorry. Their largest corporation sells minerals to China. Yeah, Billiton is certainly on the lips of most people in the world. Meanwhile in the US we have Apple, Exxon, Ford, General Electric, General Motors, etc.

The number one corporation in Australia had revenues of $39B. You have to go to number 73 Humana to reach that same revenue value for the US. Australia's economy is tiny and their number one city doesn't belong anywhere near any of these lists.

The distant, isolated continent of Australia may not spring to mind as a financial hub on the scale of New York, London or Tokyo, but its rich home-grown resources are catching the eye of international markets.
Nowhere is this more obvious than in this year’s Forbes 40 Australia, our annual ranking of the country’s 40 largest companies, which has seen the energy and mining sector lifted by strong demand from booming foreign markets such as China. Australia has abundant reserves of coal, base metals and petroleum, and in September, Chinese President Hu Jintao signed a series of energy agreements designed to bring the two economies even closer together.
The commodity boom and consolidation in the mining sector have combined to make BHP Billiton Australia’s largest company this year. The world’s largest miner delivered record profits and doubled its total market capitalization year-on-year to $220.9 billion, incorporating both its London and Sydney listings.
Well by that criteria, Rome, Vienna, Toronto, Melbourne and quite possibly Washington have no place on any top 10 list either. Even the most patriotic Aussie would admit that on a world scale they are not centes of finance,

Oh and the biggest manufacturer explorer and seller of cars in Australia is the well known American company - Toyota.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-14-2013 at 12:54 AM..

Old 10-14-2013, 12:30 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,695 times
Quote:

As a % of GDP mining is pretty much line ball with manufacturing.

But how is most of that relevant to the liveability and attractiveness of Sydney, or indeed any city?

Old 10-14-2013, 01:58 AM

468 posts, read 616,116 times
Exactly. Sydney may not be a strong financial center like NYC, London and Tokyo etc. blah blah blah, but it sure is making an impact in every other factor. I couldn't really care less about the economic and financial prospects of a city to be honest, I'd rather one that trumps both factors with livability, beauty and culture. Far important than this superficial financial centre crap. As for the economic situation of Sydney, well it's actually doing pretty damn well, considering Australia is one of the wealthiest countries and capable of riding one of the worst recessions in years. How well did London, New York City, Tokyo and Paris do in the global financial crisis of 2007-2008? Not so well, eh?

Old 10-14-2013, 02:01 AM

468 posts, read 616,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Sydney is not in the same league as New York, London, Paris or Rome once you have seen the Harbour, opera House and the Bridge that's about it.
Wrong again. You have an inaccurate outsiders perception of the city (and you're probably an American too). It's like saying Big Ben is all London has. There is so much more to Sydney that you don't really see until you go there and experience it for yourself. Why do you think it's making such an impression globally right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
ugh, please. Are you saying NYC isn't desirable, it isn't about the people in the cities its about the city itself, which NYC has better universities, better transportation, stronger and more influential around the world, wealthier, higher income, cheaper, more tourism, more immigrants, closer to larger cities, more diversity in jobs, more diversity in people, better restaurants, but this doesn't mean its a better place to live in than Sydney or Melbourne, like I said above. Sydney and Melbourne defiantly have a higher quality of life, but with cities NYC is much better.
You Americans really are hung up on the fact that "bigger is better" aren't you? I don't give a damn about who is perceived as more influential, that's garbage, because perception is really a matter one of one's opinion and does not reflect a broad, unbiased view. I don't even need to hear anymore from you to know that you are really, really ignorant.

Quote:
Does kind of seem strange to me to see Sydney on there, let alone at almost the top spot. I rarely meet an American who is chomping at the bit to go to Sydney over Rome, Tokyo, Vienna, or Paris. I rarely even hear the city mentioned as if it carries any real importance in the everyday affairs of the world. Yeah right.

I would jump in a heart beat to go to a place like Tokyo or Rome over Sydney in a minute. Australia, a nice and beautiful country as it is, just doesn't seem nearly an interesting place as Japan or Italy. A country of 20M people, and their city outranks Rome, NYC and Tokyo. It is laughable. I think they polled mostly Brits and Australians for this, lol. If you have ever been to the UK you will rightly note this weird obsession Brits have with Australia. Most of them would choose Sydney over NYC for obvious biased reasons imo.

Yes, this thread really does reaffirm that all Americans are the same. Obsessed with what is big, what is huge and excessive. You clearly know nothing about Australia beyond the stereotypical perception, and perhaps Brits are so obsessed with Australia because they have actually been there and experienced the beauty and culture (yes, we have culture!) rather than you people who make an observation based on oh let's say a film or television program. What does population have to do with anything?

Last edited by shirleyeve; 10-14-2013 at 02:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World