U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 11:36 PM

479 posts, read 497,747 times

Advertisements

The latest edition of the Anholt-GfK City Brands Index (which measures cities by the opinion of visitors in several categories) ranked the top 10 cities in the world. London dethroned the French capital, while Australia's largest city, Sydney, came in at second place. Paris was ranked third, followed by New York City.

The top 10, according to Anholt-GfK:

1. London, England
2. Sydney, Australia
3. Paris, France
4. New York City, USA
5. Rome, Italy
6. Washington D.C., USA
7. Los Angeles, USA
8. Toronto, Canada
9. Vienna, Austria
10. Melbourne, Australia

Source: London, Sydney, Paris top best cities in the world : Asia, News - India Today
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 01:36 AM

282 posts, read 367,905 times
NY only fourth. Right.

And LA above Vienna, Tokyo, San Francisco, Chicago and Boston. Right.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:22 AM

34,700 posts, read 60,454,753 times
This isn't about 'best' cities, it's about the city's brand or image.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:05 AM

878 posts, read 1,270,782 times
New York City probably lost a lot of points on the "aesthetics" criterion.

As diverse a city as it is, the Manhattan hubs that tourists are exposed to aren't particularly attractive at street level - excluding a handful of standout areas. In many areas, the district is downright ugly.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:21 AM

10,486 posts, read 14,057,392 times
I don't take the list serious because Tokyo is not on it.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:48 AM

2,190 posts, read 5,075,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
New York City probably lost a lot of points on the "aesthetics" criterion.

As diverse a city as it is, the Manhattan hubs that tourists are exposed to aren't particularly attractive at street level - excluding a handful of standout areas. In many areas, the district is downright ugly.
You've probably never been to Rome then.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:59 AM

1,911 posts, read 2,793,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigoriachel View Post
NY only fourth. Right.

And LA above Vienna, Tokyo, San Francisco, Chicago and Boston. Right.
NY is basically just suburbs once you get out of the central core. It's a huge financial center, but it is not in London or Paris's league when it comes to rich history, tourist attractions and diversity of both people and neighborhoods.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
You've probably never been to Rome then.
I was probably too young at the time to remember much of it, or evaluate it in a meaningful way.

My point, though, is that Manhattan lacks the architectural nuances and refinement of more historic cities. There are some wonderful examples of art deco architecture and early 20th century edifices, but in a more general context, the city suffers from an endless monotony of right angles. Geometrically simpler constructions may look good from a distance, on video or on photofilm, but at street-level, first hand, it I don't think it stimulates the aesthetic sense in the way that more culturally nuanced urban environments do.

It also doesn't help that the DSNY is being starved of funds, and trash collection/pavement clutter, filth and "organic waste" (of various kinds) has become notably worse over the past 5 or so years. However, that's less of a long-term issue.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 AM

9,781 posts, read 18,366,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
I was probably too young at the time to remember much of it, or evaluate it in a meaningful way.

My point, though, is that Manhattan lacks the architectural nuances and refinement of more historic cities. There are some wonderful examples of art deco architecture and early 20th century edifices, but in a more general context, the city suffers from an endless monotony of right angles. Geometrically simpler constructions may look good from a distance, on video or on photofilm, but at street-level, first hand, it I don't think it stimulates the aesthetic sense in the way that more culturally nuanced urban environments do.

It also doesn't help that the DSNY is being starved of funds, and trash collection/pavement clutter, filth and "organic waste" (of various kinds) has become notably worse over the past 5 or so years. However, that's less of a long-term issue.
NYC may be more modern and lack pre-19th century buildings, but I think architecturally it's pretty interesting. It has something most cities lack, a lot of old skyscrapers. Plus I find the eclectic and different styles of houses in Brooklyn, Statten, Queens also quite interesting.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:53 AM

NYC is an amazing city, don't get me wrong.

I'm certainly not claiming that it is completely lacking architectural merit. In my opinion the Chrysler and Flatiron Buildings are probably the most beautiful highrises in the world. My comments are only meant in a comparative and general sense.

For a direct visual juxtaposition of what I mean, try running both videos below at the same time for a comparison of Midtown Manhattan vs the London West End:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World