Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Beautiful Continent in the World
Europe 102 31.29%
Asia 59 18.10%
Australia/Oceania 17 5.21%
North Amerca 106 32.52%
South America 45 13.80%
Africa 45 13.80%
Antarctica 15 4.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2016, 06:06 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Good point.

A lot more unspoiled wilderness in North America.
Wild creatures galore.

Just Canada alone has vast areas with little human presence,
including some areas where no man has ever been.

Most of Europe is very tame compared.

North America is the best for me.

Coastline ....California between Santa Barbara and San Francisco,
also coast of BC and Alaska, stunning.

Deserts ...Arizona Sonoran with giant Saguaro Cacti.

Mountains .....Rockies, Cascades, St.Elias, Sierra Nevada, etc....

Features.....The Grand Canyon, The Great Lakes, Everglades, Bay of Fundy....
I think South America might do that a little better, North America really has no Amazon-like equivalent and Patagonia is stunning. The Galapagos... The Andes... and arctic areas due to getting so close to Antarctica.

South America actually has a desert with cacti that look just like saguaros BTW, in NW Argentina. Seriously I've looked up this desert and it looks just like my state. So they have just as much diversity. Now as much wilderness I don't know... it is a smaller continent.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 07:46 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,662,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I think South America might do that a little better, North America really has no Amazon-like equivalent and Patagonia is stunning.... So they have just as much diversity. Now as much wilderness I don't know... it is a smaller continent.
But they don't have as much diversity, that's a fact. South America lacks taiga, tundra, temperate coniferous forests and tropical/subtropical coniferous forests.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:06 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,723,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
-Best looking cities: 1.North America, 2.Europe
-Best Mountains: 1.Asia, 2.South America
-Best beaches & coastlines: 1.Oceania, 2.Asia
-Best Deserts: 1.Africa, 2.Asia
-Best rainforest/jungle: 1.South America, 2.Asia
-Best Polar/Subpolar regions (Arctic/Patagonia etc): 1.Antartica, 2.South America
-Most unique or unusual landscapes: 1.Asia, 2.North America

-Overall: 1.Asia, 2.North America, 3.South America, 4.Europe, 5.Oceania, 6.Antartica
Lol Davy is a self hater. Typical Dutch.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
But they don't have as much diversity, that's a fact. South America lacks taiga, tundra, temperate coniferous forests and tropical/subtropical coniferous forests.
South America has all of that.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
South America has all of that.
Except it doesn't.

http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/dow...th-america.jpg

Old 10-02-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Except it doesn't.
Except it does.

El Alerce Costero by Matt Allende, on Flickr

Tourist in the Andes by Oliver Davis, on Flickr

Old 10-02-2016, 06:25 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times
Quote:
Except it does.

Yeah, maybe but a tiny area compared to North America.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Yeah, maybe but a tiny area compared to North America.
If you're focusing on quantity, let me inform you that in terms of summits the tallest mountain in North America wouldn't even make the top 40 in South America and the second summit doesn't even make top 100 in the Andes. Therefore the Andes contains large swathes of Tundra.

Also as I focus on quality rather than quantity, it's also true that South America has far more unique landscapes from the expansive salt flats of Bolivia to the highest coastal mountains in the world with their snow peaks overlooking Caribbean beaches. From the largest waterfall system in the world, the Iguazu falls which dwarf Niagara, to the lunar landscapes of the driest desert in the world. From Galapagos, the home of the evolution theory to the deepest canyon in the world which dwarfs the Grand canyon. From the largest rainforest in the world containing the largest river to the highest waterfall in the world which drops off the impressive table-top mountains of the Guiana shield. From an ancient civilization as impressive and advanced as Machu Picchu to a river made up of rainbow colours; North America may have large expanses of wilderness but when it comes to "out of this world" landscapes - South America wins out.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:45 AM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm sorry but there are stunning beaches in Europe from top to bottom, there is thousands and thousands of miles of beaches in Europe why do you think that only the Algarve has beautiful beaches?
Well every continent has a coastline, so every continent will have its strengths in terms of beaches. But when you put Europe up against North American beaches top to bottom from the the tropical Mayan Riviera and to desert coastal Baja regions of Mexico, the Caribbean islands, the pure white sands and emerald waters on the gulf beaches of Florida, the barrier islands of the Carolinas, the superlative and remote beauty of Pacific Northwestern beaches, the dynamic California coastline, the nostalgic charm of the Canadian Maritimes, the superlative beauty of coastal Alaska, and on and on. There really is just no comparison with the variety in terms of climates, coastal landforms, and especially less densely populated rugged and remote beauty or long coastal drives. Europe really pales in comparison.

I will admit I did sell Europe short in some areas as the beaches of Sardinia and the rugged coastal beauty of the Azores for example do look amazing as I'm sure many other parts do. But the magnitude of coastal variety in North America really does put it in a category that's well above what all of what coastal Europe has to offer. The reason I feel Europes beaches are less inviting than other continents is because many of them look ore crowded with less variety of unspoiled beuaty. And even in terms of developed beaches and beach resorts, other continents offer way more variety and different coastal experiences.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-02-2016 at 11:23 AM..

Old 10-02-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Except it does.

There a huge difference between having patches of conifers and having a coniferous forest biome. The second picture exhibits alpine tundra which is very different than the arctic tundra biome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World