Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Most Beautiful Continent in the World
Europe 102 31.29%
Asia 59 18.10%
Australia/Oceania 17 5.21%
North Amerca 106 32.52%
South America 45 13.80%
Africa 45 13.80%
Antarctica 15 4.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2016, 09:11 PM
 
Location: PHX -> ATL
6,311 posts, read 6,827,554 times
Reputation: 7168

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
So then you would rank the rainforests of Mexico and Central America the same as the Amazon, right? After all, you don't care if it is bigger. Size and diversity go hand and hand. They don't always fully correlate but most of the time they do. The deserts of North and South America is one time when this correlation holds.
No it's about quality over quantity. Amazon is one of the most unique regions in the world, nothing in Mexico or Central America compares to it. Arguably only the Congo is comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2016, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Costa Rica
70 posts, read 70,961 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
So then you would rank the rainforests of Mexico and Central America the same as the Amazon, right? After all, you don't care if it is bigger. Size and diversity go hand and hand. They don't always fully correlate but most of the time they do. The deserts of North and South America is one time when this correlation holds.
You're making assumptions . I chose the Amazon because I like the landscapes found there more than the ones found in the Mexican and Central American rainforests, as simple as that. Even if it were just the Bolivian or Peruvian Amazon I'd choose it over other rainforests. Try again though .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 09:58 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,665,077 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
No it's about quality over quantity. Amazon is one of the most unique regions in the world, nothing in Mexico or Central America compares to it. Arguably only the Congo is comparable.
The biggest reason that the Amazon is so unique is because of its size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 10:02 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,665,077 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast93 View Post
You're making assumptions . I chose the Amazon because I like the landscapes found there more than the ones found in the Mexican and Central American rainforests, as simple as that. Even if it were just the Bolivian or Peruvian Amazon I'd choose it over other rainforests. Try again though .
One is the Amazon, one is a rainforest in Mexico, can you tell the difference?






Spoiler
http://www.wildroad.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/rainforest-rays-palenque-yucatan-mexico.jpg http://www.justinlagace.com/The%20Am...peru%20458.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Costa Rica
70 posts, read 70,961 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
One is the Amazon, one is a rainforest in Mexico, can you tell the difference?






Spoiler
http://www.wildroad.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/rainforest-rays-palenque-yucatan-mexico.jpg http://www.justinlagace.com/The%20Am...peru%20458.jpg
You do realize there are other features in rainforests aside from trees right ? You do realize some of the most spectacular landscapes of the Amazon are the incredible waterfalls scattered all over, like the massive ones found in Guyana or Peru? You do know there are cloud forests, hills, canyons, caves, table-top mountains that are scattered throughout the rainforest, right? You do know there are massive powerful rivers, or beautiful ones like the multi-colored one in Colombia, right?

What's next, are you going to show me a picture of a sand dune and a cactus and ask me if it's in Argentina, Mexico or Arizona ? lmao maybe show me a snow patch and ask me if it's in Canada or Russia .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 10:28 PM
 
14,767 posts, read 17,126,368 times
Reputation: 20658
This thread is stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 10:30 PM
 
Location: PHX -> ATL
6,311 posts, read 6,827,554 times
Reputation: 7168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast93 View Post
You do realize there are other features in rainforests aside from trees right ? You do realize some of the most spectacular landscapes of the Amazon are the incredible waterfalls scattered all over, like the massive ones found in Guyana or Peru? You do know there are cloud forests, hills, canyons, caves, table-top mountains that are scattered throughout the rainforest, right? You do know there are massive powerful rivers, or beautiful ones like the multi-colored one in Colombia, right?

What's next, are you going to show me a picture of a sand dune and a cactus and ask me if it's in Argentina, Mexico or Arizona ? lmao maybe show me a snow patch and ask me if it's in Canada or Russia .
If he does the desert thing I need to do it, if it's Arizona and I get it wrong I oughta leave my own state haha. I should know it after 20+ years living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 10:32 PM
 
Location: PHX -> ATL
6,311 posts, read 6,827,554 times
Reputation: 7168
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
This thread is stupid.
Considering it has come down to a war against the Americas it sort of is jow. I'm just upset Australia/Oceania only has ten votes, less than Antarctica even.

I voted for all continents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 11:03 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,665,077 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast93 View Post
You do realize there are other features in rainforests aside from trees right ? You do realize some of the most spectacular landscapes of the Amazon are the incredible waterfalls scattered all over, like the massive ones found in Guyana or Peru? You do know there are cloud forests, hills, canyons, caves, table-top mountains that are scattered throughout the rainforest, right? You do know there are massive powerful rivers, or beautiful ones like the multi-colored one in Colombia, right?

What's next, are you going to show me a picture of a sand dune and a cactus and ask me if it's in Argentina, Mexico or Arizona ? lmao maybe show me a snow patch and ask me if it's in Canada or Russia .
Yes, but those diverse features that you are describing are a product of the size of the region. If you just took a random chunk of the Amazon, let's say a quarter of it, and changed the rest of the Amazon to a different biome, such as a desert, then the Amazon would be much less diverse and much less impressive. As I mentioned before, biome size is very correlated to its diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 11:09 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,665,077 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Considering it has come down to a war against the Americas it sort of is jow. I'm just upset Australia/Oceania only has ten votes, less than Antarctica even.

I voted for all continents.
It started because Pueblofuerte made a false claim and I explained why the claim was false and provided sources backing my points, then he lost his cool.

However, I do agree that Oceania should have many more votes. It has massive amounts of untouched natural landscapes, a higher percentage of it's landmass than any other continent except Antarctica, which clearly lacks the diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top