Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 01:20 PM

10,641 posts, read 16,025,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Barbados is an ugly name for a country imo
I think it's the perfect name for an island in the caribbean, reminds me of pirates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 01:35 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Central African Republic has to be the most boring name of any nation in the world. Wasn't there any sort of geographic landmark or tribe or region that you could name the state after? It'd be like if Slovakia was simply called "Random Eastern European Republic" or Trinidad and Tobago was called "Independent Caribbean County".

Also, do we really need three countries with Guinea in the title in Africa? I know, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, and Equatorial Guinea were all ruled by different colonizing nations and they're all named after the Gulf of Guinea or the use of Guinea to describe the West African coast by Europeans, but the term Guinea is one of those European bastardizations(and we don't even know what it was referring to originally--possibly to the Kingdom of Ghana) that just got used for a variety of areas. But once again, isn't there some specific local geography or cultures that you could name these countries after?

Old 10-27-2013, 02:00 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Central African Republic has to be the most boring name of any nation in the world. Wasn't there any sort of geographic landmark or tribe or region that you could name the state after? It'd be like if Slovakia was simply called "Random Eastern European Republic" or Trinidad and Tobago was called "Independent Caribbean County".

Also, do we really need three countries with Guinea in the title in Africa? I know, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, and Equatorial Guinea were all ruled by different colonizing nations and they're all named after the Gulf of Guinea or the use of Guinea to describe the West African coast by Europeans, but the term Guinea is one of those European bastardizations(and we don't even know what it was referring to originally--possibly to the Kingdom of Ghana) that just got used for a variety of areas. But once again, isn't there some specific local geography or cultures that you could name these countries after?
I 100% completely agree. When you know what Australia means, it's not a very creative name either. We should have one of those on every continent; from now on, Mexico will be known as the "Southern North American Republic". Poland will be the "East Central European Republic".

On this same note, the names of the two Congos are comically ridiculous.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:07 PM

351 posts, read 499,741 times
USA
too literal

Old 10-28-2013, 11:51 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Mongoloid was the English equivalent to that Dutch and French term, but we found the (definitely deliberate) racial connotations distasteful and found it so un-PC that we no longer use it at all.

Social and play behaviors of institutionalized mon... [J Psychol. 1975] - PubMed - NCBI

As you'll see above, this scientific paper from 1975 in English uses the term exactly as mongol would be used in Dutch or French, but these days it's considered much more offensive then retard so that word continues to exist whereas some English speakers don't even know the word mongoloid anymore it's fallen so out of favour.
Thanks Bimbam, this is interesting. And to Dutch speakers, being called a "mongool" is also very offensive. But it's still a very popular term of abuse.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:58 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
Thanks Bimbam, this is interesting. And to Dutch speakers, being called a "mongool" is also very offensive. But it's still a very popular term of abuse.
Yes, it is only used as a swear word, not as an actual medical term for someone with Down's syndrome. Personally, I try to stay away from abusive language that involves medical conditions because it's needlessly hurtful and offensive. Even a word like "retard" makes me cringe. I hate that it's so common in Dutch to use diseases as swear words. Cancer is not an adjective.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:27 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Yes, it is only used as a swear word, not as an actual medical term for someone with Down's syndrome. Personally, I try to stay away from abusive language that involves medical conditions because it's needlessly hurtful and offensive. Even a word like "retard" makes me cringe. I hate that it's so common in Dutch to use diseases as swear words. Cancer is not an adjective.
I hate it even more when you should be so politically correct that you can't use words like retard, deaf or blind as expressions. How is "are you deaf or what?" offensive to people who are d... I mean, have a hearing impairment.

And since when should swearing and cursing be nice?

Old 10-28-2013, 06:00 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times
There was something here recently about the word 'mental' being offensive to people who are mentally ill. I've used it before and I've not once considered the prospect of me offending anyone - and I don't think it offends anyone besides people who are overly PC and get offended on the behalf of others.

Cancer might be used in reference to a bad thing - for example: "Rapists are a cancer to society."

Old 10-28-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I hate it even more when you should be so politically correct that you can't use words like retard, deaf or blind as expressions. How is "are you deaf or what?" offensive to people who are d... I mean, have a hearing impairment.

And since when should swearing and cursing be nice?
Come on, I don't mean things like that. I'm talking about people who can't use a sentence without throwing the word "cancer" in there, which might sound strange to English speakers but is a common swear word in Dutch. It's not a matter of being PC, it's a matter of being civilised and considerate to others but I guess even that is too much to ask for these days.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
There was something here recently about the word 'mental' being offensive to people who are mentally ill. I've used it before and I've not once considered the prospect of me offending anyone - and I don't think it offends anyone besides people who are overly PC and get offended on the behalf of others.

Cancer might be used in reference to a bad thing - for example: "Rapists are a cancer to society."
Again, that's not what I'm talking about. In Dutch, the word cancer is used as an adjective (by a certain segment of society) similar to two common 4-letter words in English. For example: "Ah, cancer! I hit my cancer foot against that cancer table! If I find the cancer sufferer who put that cancer table there, I'll tell him to cancer off!"

But sure, I'm being overly PC for finding this abuse of the word needlessly hurtful and offensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World