Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2013, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,112 posts, read 29,604,933 times
Reputation: 8819

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
But sure, I'm being overly PC for finding this abuse of the word needlessly hurtful and offensive
Obviously I never said that - I'm just saying how words might be used here with regards to physical and mental illnesses. Saying 'Oh, cancer, I hit my toe' would never be used here as it makes no sense to an English speaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2013, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Finland
24,128 posts, read 24,830,170 times
Reputation: 11103
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Come on, I don't mean things like that. I'm talking about people who can't use a sentence without throwing the word "cancer" in there, which might sound strange to English speakers but is a common swear word in Dutch. It's not a matter of being PC, it's a matter of being civilised and considerate to others but I guess even that is too much to ask for these days.
Ok, didn't know about the cancer thing. But most of those words are only expressions that makes the language richer, and has nothing to do with being civilized and considerate, nor is it an insult towards people with intellectual disabilities or their custodians. I still think we're on a very dangerous path if we are required to self-censor ourself needlessly and putting a lot of words on the ban list just in case that someone in the world might be offended by it. In the worst case we end up saying a lot without really saying anything, as we must be so careful how we speak.

It's also a completely different thing from deliberately insult and degrade someone and has nothing to do with hate-speech and such.

But I don't even know if we are talking about the same thing anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2013, 10:18 AM
 
304 posts, read 783,214 times
Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Benin, Togo, Niger, Chad, Central African Republic, Jordan, Yemen, Oman, Bahrain, Turkmenistan
Niger is the worst of the bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2013, 11:13 AM
 
5,719 posts, read 6,451,823 times
Reputation: 3647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
To English speaking people, Turkey sounds like food.
The animal/food are named after the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2013, 11:29 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,588 posts, read 27,405,727 times
Reputation: 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The animal/food are named after the country.
I know but a lot of people don't know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 01:30 AM
Pov
 
46 posts, read 78,375 times
Reputation: 57
This whole discussion is subjective.Is Unated States of America also boring or not because is easy to say and therefore is all right .

And isn't Montenegro mean Black Forest (Crna Gora also mean Black Forest) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 10:20 AM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
9,174 posts, read 13,263,958 times
Reputation: 10146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pov View Post
This whole discussion is subjective.Is Unated States of America also boring or not because is easy to say and therefore is all right .

And isn't Montenegro mean Black Forest (Crna Gora also mean Black Forest) ?
United States - A couple of people mentioned the United States, I have been wondering what else they could have called them? They could have named it after the largest of the original 13 states, Virginia. Something like Greater Virginia or Virginia & Friends . But I do not think the other states would have liked that.

The Americans regarded themselves as the British living on the North American continent as opposed to the British living in the British Isles. Thus the Americans had the "Continental Navy" and the "Continental Army". But what kind of name can you get from that?

Because the Americans were forming a federation they had to come up with a name that implied equality and unity among the states; in other words not naming the country after a single state. And they wanted something new and something unique, not something like New Britain or American British States etc.

So they came up with the United States of America. Sort of the way the Europeans now have the European Union.

Montenegro - I believe this means Black Mountain. One or two people said they do not like the name Montenegro. I disagree, I think this is an great name. And the name says something about the toughness of the people, these are people who bravely stood up alone to the Ottoman Empire for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 06:19 AM
 
50 posts, read 102,093 times
Reputation: 73
"Monte Negro" - This is perfect Portuguese for "Black Mountain".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Elsewhere
88,636 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Reputation: 115185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's because people with Down's syndrome often have slanty eyes and looked to have oriental facial features to early doctors. As time went by, we found the associating of mentally challenged people with east asians inherent in the word unacceptable.
Even worse, and off-topic, Dr. Down's paper is entitled "Observations on an Ethnic Classification of Idiots".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 09:30 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,588 posts, read 27,405,727 times
Reputation: 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty All View Post
USA
too literal
Thinking about it, yes it is. Sounds more like a description than a name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top