Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 11:52 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,265,406 times

Advertisements

China is not a superpower. It is a collection of economically vigorous pseudo-city-states. Their central authority does not yet seem intent on widescale interventionism...yet; something I consider a defining characteristic of a superpower. And its capacity to do so may be undercut by any number of factors, not least bringing it vast, uneducated, under and undeveloped hinterland into the 20th century. Then the 21st.

That doesn't mean China is not one of the most significant players on the world stage, just not a superpower. I also believe superpowers are likely a 20th century development of the colonial empire mentality of the previous two to three centuries. The U.S. is the last gasp of that phenomenon. At least from my low and obscured perch. Only history will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 03:36 PM

872 posts, read 1,382,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigoriachel View Post
As of 2011, at least $1.2 trillion of US debt is owned by China, according to the treasury at least.

Saying that Syria/Iraq/Afghanistan merely 'tested' preexisting limitations of the USA is just speculative and fails to understand how the global power prestige game is played. Humiliation of this kind entails a loss of prestige. Have too many of such episodes in a row, and you have a loss of political leverage, fallout or weakening of pre-existing diplomatic ties, and the economic ramifications that follow further down the line.
This reminds me of an old global political strategy game called Balance of Power.

It was unusually sophisticated for its time and pitched you as the USA, against the USSR, in a cold war diplomatic and military environment. Prestige was the key resource of the game that gave you warrant to intervene militarily, fund insurgencies, take diplomatic measures and so on, to spread your political influence around the world. Political embarrassments, such as backing down in an international dispute, would deplete your prestige.

I remember, one time, a dispute over Chad deteriorated into thermonuclear war due to some 10,000 or so troops I stationed there to protect against a Soviet-backed insurgency.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:56 AM

96 posts, read 124,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I don't think there will be any superpowers, just several great powers, perhaps with the US being the 'greatest among equals', due to its widespread influence of culture and it having a far more powerful military than any country ever has had, and likely ever will have. China's military may be big, but it lacks the training and equipment to make it comparable to ours, or even Russia's (who has the second strongest military, but still lags quite a bit behind the US).

Not to mention, China is surrounded by enemies. India, especially, wants to stop its rise. India's navy is far more capable than China's, especially since it has built its own aircraft carrier recently, and China still hasn't.
All your comments on this site that I came across are inflating India and bashing China. Wondering why.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:51 AM

37,022 posts, read 39,094,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareno999 View Post
All your comments on this site that I came across are inflating India and bashing China. Wondering why.
Because he wishes you were never born.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:37 AM

14,612 posts, read 17,424,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I'm just imagining the day the US either loses superpower status or has to share it with China or anyone else. The paranoia and propaganda coming out of this country will be off the charts.
The IMF has predicted 2016 when the total economic GDP (using purchasing power parity) of China equals the USA. They have since revised that date to past 2018.

Once that point is reached there will be thousands of media articles. But think about what the means

1) If you exchange $1000 in China you will get roughly 6163 Yuan, but that will give you more purchasing power than $1000 in USA. To get the equivalent purchasing power you would only get 4293 Yuan (according to IMF). The calculation is done with the much smaller number to account for the goods and services being less expensive in China
2) The population of China is 4 to 5 times that of the USA. So on a per person basis it is still much less.

So even though this magic day happens, the average Chinese will still have considerably less purchasing power than the American.

China has never shown much interest outside of it's immediate sphere.

So, I do not believe that China will be considered a true global superpower within the next 30 years.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:20 AM

26 posts, read 72,358 times
No, their economy is pretty much dependent on the world buying their products, so if you stopped buying their products, their economy will collapse.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:07 PM

7,397 posts, read 4,620,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by np6888 View Post
No, their economy is pretty much dependent on the world buying their products, so if you stopped buying their products, their economy will collapse.
Most often, people don't have a choice. For example, computers are most likely assembled in China with some parts also manufactured there. Cellphones as well.

The better option is to cut at the source -- no manufacturing/assembly contract with China by US businesses.

However, that is going against the principles of capitalism and free market in US.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:22 PM

6,851 posts, read 10,921,685 times
No, China will never become a superpower.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:45 PM

1 posts, read 538 times
I think so,but by looking at their capitalist economic system?they are progressing well.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:43 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,045,943 times
No. China will get old before it gets rich.

As of 2014, China peaked out on working-age population. Now it's falling off the cliff. Between now and 2050, China will lose 250,000,000 workers while the United States will add roughly 50,000,000.

Remember that all that spectacular building was caused by the massive assumption of debt on a scale never seen before in human history. Today, China's debt/GDP ratio is higher than 300%, and that's just through conventional banks. We have no idea what the debt picture is like in its shadow banking system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World