Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 08:55 AM

245 posts, read 132,724 times

Advertisements

So after the latest tragedy in Orlando, it kind of makes me reevaluate why even stay? But at the same time where do I go, where would you go?

This post isn't meant to stir controversy, and its not a left vs right or race issue just a serious debate.

Little bit about myself, I'm a 31 year old mixed Irish/Mexican gay male not that it matters that is his own person, I hold some conservative beliefs and some liberal beliefs, I certainly am not on either side firmly because it's honestly a joke.

Obviously Mexico is not a good place to move right now, the 50% Irish in me toyed with the idea of Ireland a couple of years ago, but then I realized I too was brainwashed by the media and hadn't kept up with current events to notice that the Irish are giving their country away just like the US, could be an EU thing who knows.

I know I'll be attacked but this is not about race, I still subscribe to the idea that anyone of any color or background can become an "American" american doesn't mean white, black, asian or any of that. Those that are true patriots know what I'm talking about when I say just being an American, Unfortunately that idea has been hijacked so why bother being patriotic to a country that disdains the patriotic?

As far as Muslims go, no hate towards them I honestly believe the US shouldn't have intervened in the ME and that all people have the right to their own homeland and a place to practice a shared religion and or culture, ideally we should have left the ME alone and better screened and or limited immigrants to the US especially those of Muslim religion. Don't mistake this as me being an Islamaphobe or whatever term is fashionable these days, I'm not and it's a cop out, I don't dislike them I just don't believe that they're beliefs and ideals can co-exist with western/secular ideology, No hate on them from my part in fact they're just doing what humans have done throughout history, the strong eat the weak, the weak in this case being guilt ridden liberal americans.

My question is, having the means financially which I do, where would you go? I just really want to be left alone and enjoy my life, I don't want someone else's ideals rammed down my throat and in return I wouldn't ram mine down theirs either, I just want to exist peacefully, have some fun, enjoy what little time this world may have left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 09:14 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdavenport View Post
My question is, having the means financially which I do, where would you go? I just really want to be left alone and enjoy my life, I don't want someone else's ideals rammed down my throat and in return I wouldn't ram mine down theirs either, I just want to exist peacefully, have some fun, enjoy what little time this world may have left.
I have lived in some 15 cities in around 10 countries across three continents over the past 25 years or so, and currently I too could financially live more or less anywhere, but for a few relatively simple reasons I choose southern Florida, like you do.

My conclusion has been that all that crap that you cite really does not matter, you will find social, cultural and economic problems everywhere there are human beings, regardless of ideologies.

One result of globalization is that we are all headed towards a lowest common denominator on all three levels. In between some have benefitted more than others and, in detail, the middle swathe of people in the countries of early industrialization are economically in relative decline, but even that by itself is not the end of the world.

As far as existing peacefully, having some fun, and enjoying what little time you may have left (the world will go on for thousands of more years without you), I would be more focused on personal health and safety, like avoiding junk food and not getting into a car accident and perhaps not going out at night, much higher risks than dying prematurely in a plane crash or in a hurricane or in an incident of mass violence, if you put it on a spreadsheet and do the math.

Hope this helps a little.

Good Luck!

Old 06-13-2016, 09:15 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
I would focus on building walls. One on Ellis Island, one on the bridges between Detroit and Windsor, and one surrounding the White House. I suggest a star fortress.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:16 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
There are roughly 200 countries in the world. If you aren't happy in one you should be able to find another that makes you happy.

What specifically do you value most? That should help you decide.

One caution- if you don't like "globalization", then you won't have many non-poor countries as options. Basically any first world country will be extremely impacted by globalization, excepting a few semi-closed societies like Japan.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
There are roughly 200 countries in the world. If you aren't happy in one you should be able to find another that makes you happy.

What specifically do you value most? That should help you decide.

One caution- if you don't like "globalization", then you won't have many non-poor countries as options. Basically any first world country will be extremely impacted by globalization, excepting a few semi-closed societies like Japan.
Yea I know You're right about globalization and NWO, I was just throwing this out there in the world forum while simultaneously doing my own research hoping that I might find one last beacon of hope somewhere.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:28 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
So after the latest tragedy in Orlando, it kind of makes me reevaluate why even stay? But at the same time where do I go, where would you go?

This post isn't meant to stir controversy, and its not a left vs right or race issue just a serious debate.

Little bit about myself, I'm a 31 year old mixed Irish/Mexican gay male not that it matters that is his own person, I hold some conservative beliefs and some liberal beliefs, I certainly am not on either side firmly because it's honestly a joke.

Obviously Mexico is not a good place to move right now, the 50% Irish in me toyed with the idea of Ireland a couple of years ago, but then I realized I too was brainwashed by the media and hadn't kept up with current events to notice that the Irish are giving their country away just like the US, could be an EU thing who knows.

I know I'll be attacked but this is not about race, I still subscribe to the idea that anyone of any color or background can become an "American" american doesn't mean white, black, asian or any of that. Those that are true patriots know what I'm talking about when I say just being an American, Unfortunately that idea has been hijacked so why bother being patriotic to a country that disdains the patriotic?

As far as Muslims go, no hate towards them I honestly believe the US shouldn't have intervened in the ME and that all people have the right to their own homeland and a place to practice a shared religion and or culture, ideally we should have left the ME alone and better screened and or limited immigrants to the US especially those of Muslim religion. Don't mistake this as me being an Islamaphobe or whatever term is fashionable these days, I'm not and it's a cop out, I don't dislike them I just don't believe that they're beliefs and ideals can co-exist with western/secular ideology, No hate on them from my part in fact they're just doing what humans have done throughout history, the strong eat the weak, the weak in this case being guilt ridden liberal americans.

Belize.

But if you're leaving because of Orlando, someone should remind you that 100 people are killed a day on American highways.
You won't escape trouble. And if you're out in a bar at at 2AM, you just may find it.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
... doing my own research hoping that I might find one last beacon of hope somewhere.
The last beacon of hope is within you. Search there.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Belize.

But if you're leaving because of Orlando, someone should remind you that 100 people are killed a day on American highways.
You won't escape trouble. And if you're out in a bar at at 2AM, you just may find it.
Yes, Orlando was a tragedy and that event isn't a sole motivation to leave, I was just pointing it out as more of a larger cultural problem.

Back on topic, what do you guys think of Russia? I know they are not gay friendly in the least but it's odd its like a flashback seeing a country that has white people still actually standing up for themselves and civilization.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Back on topic, what do you guys think of Russia? I know they are not gay friendly in the least but it's odd its like a flashback seeing a country that has white people still actually standing up for themselves and civilization.
You would probably have no clue how to operate in that economy - I know I wouldn't - and it is colder than a witch's tit.

The Russian government is giving away free land in its extreme northeast, more or less equivalent to Alaska, but they expect you to have not only survival skills, but also skills to develop the land yourself into a viable business.

There is a passage on that very question on a Russian thread in the European sub-forum (especially post #376).

In any case, go for a visit, sure.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
You would probably have no clue how to operate in that economy - I know I wouldn't - and it is colder than a witch's tit.

The Russian government is giving away free land in its extreme northeast, more or less equivalent to Alaska, but they expect you to have not only survival skills, but also skills to develop the land yourself into a viable business.

There is a passage on that very question on a Russian thread in the European sub-forum.

In any case, go for a visit, sure.

Well on a lighter funnier note, if you've seen the nutcases out of the LGBT community lately that are siding with people that want them dead, and me being gay but more mid-center politically than most needless to say I haven't been in a relationship in a long time and could handle just being an abstinent loner in a place that has a future haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World