U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 04:20 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,252,875 times

Advertisements

My current work project has me in the Middle East over my wedding anniversary period. I thought I'd use this opportunity to celebrate in the area with the most scenic and romantic city I can think of in the area - Istanbul.

If any locals or long-term residents are out there in the city-data-sphere, can you give advice:

a. best romantic restaurants (with a view preferably of the Bosporous or other scenery) to celebrate anniversary night (private message me or I think the moderator will delete)

b. some off-the-beaten track scenic and historic sites that would appeal to a couple of rather quirky Americans

c. a good English language tour guide with vast experience and historical insight (send me private message or I think the moderator will delete)

d. best soukh for finding cool locally made arts and crafts. Have already bought a great silk carpet made in Turkey but might like to get a few more small but nice gifts and momentos.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 10:26 AM

3,400 posts, read 4,994,299 times
Go take a cooking class or a class on making Turkish Coffee.

The Basilica Cistern, which is apparently often overlooked for something so cool. Also, the Princes Islands.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:54 AM

42,661 posts, read 80,666,934 times
OP, there is an important point that is left unaddressed in your outline. Will your spouse be accompanying you on this romantic interlude? (You keep using "I" in your query.)

Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 AM

186 posts, read 271,441 times
oh yes I totally agree with the above poster that being written go to yıldız, topkapı and dolmabahçe palaces the hagia sofia is a must visit when there try to visit the old book bazaar visit ortaköy for the sea side cafes preferably at night , take a walk from bebek to emirgan ( day time its get very windy during the night) good restaurants well paper moon it does not have a view but its one of the better ones or you can try the menus of four seasons, or kempinski night life taksim and ortaköy preferably ortaköy
arts and crafts well go to haghia sofia and they will find you
if you are of the male persuasion please do inform me of your visit to yıldız palace I work there if of the other gender please do not

Old 11-03-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Go take a cooking class or a class on making Turkish Coffee.

The Basilica Cistern, which is apparently often overlooked for something so cool. Also, the Princes Islands.

Thanks for the great suggestions, as I was not familiar with either place. As for the Turkish Coffee, I've discovered the secret is make it very strong and sweet (most people know) but also add cardoman (the secret flavor ingredient!). That is a great idea for a cooking glass, my wife is a great cook on what she knows but not much experience on ME cuisine.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
OP, there is an important point that is left unaddressed in your outline. Will your spouse be accompanying you on this romantic interlude? (You keep using "I" in your query.)

Come on , man ! What kind of guy do you think I am that I would go off on a romantic trip to Istanbul on the week of my anniversary but without the wife and try to pick up a Turkish harem girl??

Of COURSE it's implied she's coming along. We are so "joined at the hip" that I meaning both of us.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:58 AM

do enjoy your visit

Old 11-08-2013, 03:38 AM

Default Cappadocia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihsanoglu View Post
do enjoy your visit

Thank you so much. If all Turks are as nice it will certainly be a fine visit for us! A follow-up:

We want to see the spectacular "Fairey Chimneys" Cappadocia. However, I've done a little research and Turkey is not like a small Euro country but a huge one and the site is some 700-800 kms from Istanbul near the east-central city of Kayseri, well outside driving distance in a reasonable time. Do you have any advice how to tour the place including air transport to Kayseri? It looks big enough to possibly have a decent-size commercial airport.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:01 PM

ahh kayseri I work with a kayserian everyday and there are certain stereotypes regarding people from kayseri but I digress if you are into hiking do climb Erciyes I am told its a a trip in and of itself besides that sample the cuisine especially the mantı(turkish dumplings) and arabaşı(there is a dispute here but I am not going to drag you into it) all I can say is its made through careful application of the hardest kind of roux (dark) and I hope necessary steps are taken to accommodate the needs of the people who travel there be it an airport or something better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World