U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 10:03 PM

156 posts, read 260,414 times

Advertisements

There are countries that make us wonder why the land is so big yet so sparsely populated. So what are some countries that you feel could do with a bigger population, vis-a-vis their physical size and potential global contribution?

I'd say:

Australia: 60 million instead of 23 million
Canada: 80 million instead of 35 million
New Zealand: 10 million instead of 4.5 million
Sweden: 25 million instead of 9.5 million
Finland: 18 million instead of 5.4 million
Norway: 18 million instead of 5 million
Iceland: 11 million instead of 320,000
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 11:09 PM

11,584 posts, read 7,903,714 times
Australia: 80 million instead of 23 million
Russia: 300 million instead of 143 million
Finland: 11 million instead of 5.4 million
Norway: 13 million instead of 5 million
Sweden: 18 million instead of 9.5 million
Mongolia: 6 million instead of 2.8 million
Mexico: 160 million instead of 112 million
Ireland: 8 million instead of 4.5 million
Kazakhstan: 50 million instead of 17 million

Old 11-04-2013, 04:11 AM

2,675 posts, read 4,814,653 times
Despite its size Australia can't really support a big population. Most of the centre is desert. There are already problems with water supply here and there are only 23 million.

In fact I think 7 billion and growing on the Earth is far too much. If you think the resources are limitless and that everyone can have a first world lifestyle then you're in for a shock.

Resources like water are going to be severely tested in the future. People just really need to stop procreating but I don't see that happening unless vasts amount of people get an education in the foreseeable future.

I know this isn't the point of the thread but living in Australia there is no way this country can support millions of people. It isn't called the dry continent for nothing.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:33 AM

5,823 posts, read 11,002,215 times
The only possible numbers on this list (doesnt mean it will happen) are for NZ (its population number is low enough, a doubling probably wuldnt be catastrophic),Russia (300 million with the sheer size of the country/ climate change is a distinct possibility),Mexico (its population is already 133 million anyway), Ireland (with 3 million more people , it still would have 3 million less inhabitants than same sized Bavaria), Mongolia and Kazakhstan, practically empty places right now.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:59 AM

10,486 posts, read 14,142,024 times
Double the pop.:
Canada, Ireland, Sweden, Latvia, Lithuania, Croatia, Australia

Triple the pop.:
Uruguay, Norway, Finland, New Zealand

Quadruple the pop.:
Iceland, Estonia, Mongolia

Old 11-04-2013, 08:05 AM

11,584 posts, read 7,903,714 times
Ireland is uber-underpopulated. Dublin has less than a million people despite being such a grand city. They could easily fit three more million in that country.

Mongolia is like the size of England and Germany combined. I know it has a lot of mountains but come on, at that size, they need more than two million people. Kazahkstan is the ninth biggest country in the world but only has 17 million.

As to Russia, not only can more people live in the south portion of Siberia (apparently Chinese immigrants actually are starting to do just this), but the cities can handle more people too. Moscow has top-notch Metro, and I think it can handle 14 million people. Peterburg has almost four million people, which makes it larger than almost every American city. It had five million in the 70s, so I think Peterburg can at least match that number. Hopefully Moscow can become something of a "NYC of the East". It's certainly priced like NYC

Old 11-04-2013, 08:25 AM

2,675 posts, read 4,814,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Ireland is uber-underpopulated. Dublin has less than a million people despite being such a grand city. They could easily fit three more million in that country.

Mongolia is like the size of England and Germany combined. I know it has a lot of mountains but come on, at that size, they need more than two million people. Kazahkstan is the ninth biggest country in the world but only has 17 million.

As to Russia, not only can more people live in the south portion of Siberia (apparently Chinese immigrants actually are starting to do just this), but the cities can handle more people too. Moscow has top-notch Metro, and I think it can handle 14 million people. Peterburg has almost four million people, which makes it larger than almost every American city. It had five million in the 70s, so I think Peterburg can at least match that number. Hopefully Moscow can become something of a "NYC of the East". It's certainly priced like NYC
Ireland is underpopulated because of her history. Before the famine and immigration Ireland used to have a population of 8,000,000 people. In the early 1960s there was only 2,000,000 people. There are very few countries that have suffered such a drastic population drop as Ireland. Even now Ireland is suffereing a population drain due to the debt crisis and the slowing down of the economy. It doesn't seem to be able to sustain a very high population. The same with countries like New Zealand. A high proportion of New Zealanders eventually make their way to Australia. Countries like India and China are seriously over populated and some of the pollution in those places is unbearable and it is only going to get worse with everyone wanting to have all the mod cons and drive cars.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:03 AM

248 posts, read 340,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Despite its size Australia can't really support a big population. Most of the centre is desert. There are already problems with water supply here and there are only 23 million.

In fact I think 7 billion and growing on the Earth is far too much. If you think the resources are limitless and that everyone can have a first world lifestyle then you're in for a shock.

Resources like water are going to be severely tested in the future. People just really need to stop procreating but I don't see that happening unless vasts amount of people get an education in the foreseeable future.

I know this isn't the point of the thread but living in Australia there is no way this country can support millions of people. It isn't called the dry continent for nothing.
Soon there will be another source, right now American and Japanese scientist are trying to find other ways to support the world...I even heard making water was one of the topics.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:08 AM

248 posts, read 340,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post

Unlike other cities American cities have the metro and the city proper, for example Miami only has 300,000 yet in metro it has 5 million people, the 5 million make a lot more sense...

Old 11-04-2013, 12:00 PM

3,236 posts, read 5,439,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post

I disagree with you.

I believe this planet can VERY EASILY support a human population of 10 billion people

About the "water problem", there is a very simple solution, called desalination. All that is needed is more investment in the researches on the desalination field. The oceans cover two thirds of the surface of this planet, with plenty of water waiting to be desalinated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World