Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2016, 06:05 AM
 
733 posts, read 603,074 times
Reputation: 611

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Unless you are already functionally bilingual by the time you are mid-childhood, it is extremely unlikely that you will ever acquire any meaningful fluency in a second language, unless you are factually immersed in it for a prolonged period of time. Immigrants who move as adults eventually acquire fluency, if they spend nearly all their time exposed to their new language. The US Army teaches languages in about a year, to pre-selected recruits who spend 40 hours a week in intensive and systematic immersion drill, so that should give you an idea of the task ahead of you.

It is really hard to get conversational practice at home, because people in America who speak your target language have a greater incentive than yours, to speak English with you and lean their new language themselves.
Sounds pessimistic to me.

What is the definition of mid-childhood? 10 years old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2016, 06:10 AM
 
733 posts, read 603,074 times
Reputation: 611
If you are looking for an easy language to start, Chinese(Mandarin) could be a great choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2016, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Taipei
8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Reputation: 7414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
If you are looking for an easy language to start, Chinese(Mandarin) could be a great choice.
Is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2016, 12:07 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 7 days ago)
 
4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
Reputation: 4052
In High School before College, I have learnt Mandarin Chinese, and I am very happy with the experience of my first deep language immersion of the past. Used to know the equivalence of hundreds to thousands of Mandarin Chinese words to long paragraph essay communication amount. Ironically, I haven’t really went into Bilingual Romania language version of understanding until literally 23 to 25 years old for a young adult. Never having any detectable memory error gaps occurring past 19 years old. More with nutrition matters than the decay of older age. Never get any discouraging thoughts when wanting to learn another language! Powerful encouraging remembrance people are able to increase language comprehension to high sufficiency levels past young adulthood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2016, 09:52 AM
 
14,303 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Reputation: 39095
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
In High School before College, I have learnt Mandarin Chinese, and I am very happy with the experience of my first deep language immersion of the past. Used to know the equivalence of hundreds to thousands of Mandarin Chinese words to long paragraph essay communication amount. Ironically, I haven’t really went into Bilingual Romania language version of understanding until literally 23 to 25 years old for a young adult. Never having any detectable memory error gaps occurring past 19 years old. More with nutrition matters than the decay of older age. Never get any discouraging thoughts when wanting to learn another language! Powerful encouraging remembrance people are able to increase language comprehension to high sufficiency levels past young adulthood.
What is your native language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2016, 11:25 PM
 
1 posts, read 571 times
Reputation: 10
we can exchange language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 07:26 AM
 
370 posts, read 654,360 times
Reputation: 460
My two cents here: It's extremely difficult to be fluent in a second language as an adult...
I'm living in Italy three years but learning the language close to a decade now....no where fluency....I can understand everything, write it well, people can certainly understand me...
...I'd say I'm educated, learned the language in university, and at a language institute...but fluency is still a bit away! I started at 22! But don't let that discourage you...it's still a great journey learning a language. I make mistakes everyday in Italian and get strange looks when I make them but I'm now less shy and express myself even if I struggle to do so!
Whatevs! Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 08:12 AM
 
14,303 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Reputation: 39095
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
My two cents here: It's extremely difficult to be fluent in a second language as an adult...
I'm living in Italy three years but learning the language close to a decade now....no where fluency....I can understand everything, write it well, people can certainly understand me...
...I'd say I'm educated, learned the language in university, and at a language institute...but fluency is still a bit away!
If you can understand and be understood by Italian speakers in all normal situations, most people would consider you fluent. It sounds like you are measuring yourself against native speakers, though. And no matter how fluent an adult second-language speaker becomes, s/he will never be a native speaker. Don't set an impossible bar for yourself!

On the other hand, many monolingual people tend to underestimate fluency. Their child spends a month in France and comes back able to exchange greetings, talk about the weather, and order a meal in a restaurant, and they tell all their friends that the child is "fluent in French."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Manhattan!
2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
Reputation: 2080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
If you are looking for an easy language to start, Chinese(Mandarin) could be a great choice.
I tried this in college. I found it to be really difficult as an English-speaking American. The characters were just way too much for me and a lot of the sounds and tones were difficult for me to speak. Oh yeah and the tones were difficult for me too. The fact that two words with the same pronunciation can mean completely different things depending on the tone is not really something that I was used to.

I'm in the process of trying to learn Spanish now, then I think I might try Japanese after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2016, 03:19 AM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Reputation: 16643
Spanish is easy to learn? Lol....

Regardless, It's near impossible to get advanced in any language without being immersed in it or speaking it quite often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top