Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 05:33 PM

285 posts, read 426,862 times

Advertisements

I'm from Michigan in America.

I want to learn a second language fluently. Any suggestions of languages and learning materials are welcomed.

I have no interest in spanish or the spanish speaking cultures. although it may be an easy language to learn and America is pushing this language as a must learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 05:44 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,492 times
Do you have any particular interests? Any access to certain ethnic communities where you live? Are you willing to learn a new alphabet/writing system or do you want to stick with Latin alphabet?

I'm learning French (started at 24) and at about an intermediate fluency at 29 (living in Quebec for two years has greatly increased my ability).

Old 11-13-2013, 05:58 PM

285 posts, read 426,862 times
May I PM you aliss?

Old 11-13-2013, 06:05 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
In sure in the USA an abundance of speakers texts and language schools would exist from any where in the world.

To learn second a language you really need to be surrounded by and regularly communicate with people who speak it IMHO.

I will be heading off to a university in Seoul to brush up on my Korean early next year.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 11-13-2013 at 06:22 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 05:08 AM

43,630 posts, read 44,355,249 times
The best way is to immerse yourself in the language of your choice is by being around native speakers of the target language for many hours of the day besides taking actually classes in the language.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:13 PM

244 posts, read 592,560 times
As an adult you have to make it one of your top priorities if you want to get to anykind of fluency. It's almost going to be a lifestyle change if you don't speak a second language already. To learn a language from scratch, I reccommend not only immersing yourself with speakers of the language and studying it, but altering your space and your habits to accommodate this language, for example, music you listen to should now be almost entirely in the language you are trying to learn, this can also be fun because as you learn lyrics you will want to understand what it is you are saying and why, it is a great way to learn and update your playlist. Another thing would be TV and youtube, if you have access to a channel in your chosen language WATCH IT, or at least keep it on in the background. Youtube is great for people giving free lessons and accent help, and also forrandom videos inthe language you're learning. MOVIES...this is like music in that it is an enjoyable way to hear and want to understand. Use subtitles, and expect to rewind and watch particular scenes to hear how a word or phrase is pronounced and used, and also to compare the grammar and idioms to english. Also, attempt to get your news from an online newsnetwork in the language. And then, just talk, talk to yourself snd practice pronunciation, make up hypathetical conversations...and most definitely talk with native speakers of the language, and if applicable visit the country or a country from where the language is native or spoken.

If you really want to speak it you will.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Unless you are already functionally bilingual by the time you are mid-childhood, it is extremely unlikely that you will ever acquire any meaningful fluency in a second language, unless you are factually immersed in it for a prolonged period of time. Immigrants who move as adults eventually acquire fluency, if they spend nearly all their time exposed to their new language. The US Army teaches languages in about a year, to pre-selected recruits who spend 40 hours a week in intensive and systematic immersion drill, so that should give you an idea of the task ahead of you.

It is really hard to get conversational practice at home, because people in America who speak your target language have a greater incentive than yours, to speak English with you and lean their new language themselves.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:04 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,964 times
I took a foreign language as nothing more than a degree requirement. I decided it would be best to advertise my interest in speaking to native speakers. I got a good number of responses. One of them I ended up marrying and moving to his country for a few years. Be careful out there, learning a second language is dangerous.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,618 times
I'm learning Spanish. It's interesting how if I listen to someone say something, it might toally blow over my head, but if I read the exact text, I can understand perfectly. It's important to hear as much as you write and read.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:44 PM

531 posts, read 594,682 times
If possible, get yourself a girlfriend or spouse who speaks the language. That often opens up social connections and situations to expose you to the language in a routine basis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World