Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:00 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,461 times

Advertisements

I know the bribing of traffic cops/cops for traffic offenses is pretty much prohibited in most of the Western World (in the USA/Canada/EU/Australia/NZ sense of the word), as well as some famously squeaky clean countries like Singapore.

Being a person who lives in one of those countries where people bribe traffic cops (in fact corruption by that sort of law enforcer is so common that we make jokes about them), I'm naturally curious as to which countries around the world have this same issue also. From what I've heard, the problem also exists in some other countries in my region (Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar), India, Russia, Serbia, Iran, South Africa, Nigeria, Mexico, and Brazil to name just a few.

So for anyone who's travelled a lot, or knows someone who has, which countries are known for this practice? If you've personally witnessed such things, or experienced it yourself, feel free to talk about it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 10:10 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
In Brazil it's forbidden, like in every country with some sort of civilisation. But not all the people respect the law.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
It DOES happen in every country in the world, including the USA and probably even Switzerland. It's frequency of occurrence depends on several factors, including the penalty for getting caught, the degree to which police corruption is tolerated/presumed, and the relative wages of police officers.

In some countries, police are not paid at all, and it is simply a favor appointment with the assumption that their income will be whatever they can extract in bribes, which are negotiated on a case-by-case basis. It is unlikely you will ever drive in such a country, and people who live there and can afford cars just consider it to be a form of taxation, which would otherwise be assessed more systematically in order to pay police wages from the public treasury.

There is a continuum of where each country falls on this scale, and you can draw the line wherever you like on that scale.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:07 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,603 times
In Costa Rica, the government tries really hard to counteract bribery and yet, cops will often ask quite openly for a bit of "support." Around Christmas, the problem tends to explode as cops try to drum up extra cash to buy presents for family and friends.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:21 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
I somewhat bribed a cop in CR before. He wanted to take my license and give me a ticket so I did what others had recommended in the past and it worked. I grabbed my wallet and asked if we could just take care of the fine right now instead of going through all the paperwork. I gave him 20 bucks. Thing is whenever I went out I always took a cab but that night I didn't as I wasn't intending to drink. I ended up having 3 beers and got pulled over and given a breathalyzer which probably didn't work.

Another time I was a passenger and the sober driver got pulled over and given a breathalyzer. Of course he failed ( I don't even think those things work there because he had not had a drink) so he had to pay the $20 "gringo tax" on the spot. That was easier then dealing with the hassle. What a joke.

Though the last couple years I was there (2010/2011) they had started to really crack down, and not just on the gringo's. All the traffic stops in the usual places at night started to have a tow truck with them as well. I also started hearing stories from the locals of actual speeding tickets that they actually had to go pay as the cops wouldn't accept anything. I also heard of cars starting to get towed.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:04 PM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
What do you consider bribing - cash in hand, knowing the law enforcement officer personally, pulling some vitamin B, batting eyes or breaking into tears? Either way - it happens everywhere:>)

Old 11-15-2013, 01:13 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
Black: Here is $50
Red, burgundy: Very little risk
Light red/pink: Very good chance
Yellow/orange: Be careful
Turquoise: Too risky
Blue and dark blue: Do not even try!

Old 11-15-2013, 01:29 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Corruption Perception Index
This map proves what Chancellor Metternich already figured out in the 1800s: The Balkans start in Vienna

Corruption here is more about knowing the right people. Want a governmental job? You should better know the head of the department.
If you offer a police officer some money, you'd probably end up in jail.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:00 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times
lol, argentina is crap!

Old 11-15-2013, 02:06 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
This map proves what Chancellor Metternich already figured out in the 1800s: The Balkans start in Vienna

Corruption here is more about knowing the right people. Want a governmental job? You should better know the head of the department.
If you offer a police officer some money, you'd probably end up in jail.
That is true. Do not take my list too seriously
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World