Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 06:17 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,454,891 times

Advertisements

Do people in Western Europe and America eat buckwheat groats? Here, in Eastern Europe, it's a common food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 06:49 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
Do people in Western Europe and America eat buckwheat groats? Here, in Eastern Europe, it's a common food.
Not that common by itself, but we have a soup with buckwheat groats and some smoked pork, called "Gerstsuppe".

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4hpkipfwKS...Hw/s1600/1.jpg

Old 11-24-2013, 08:37 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
I have a problem with most typical meals: I'm a vegetarian.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:31 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
I love buckwheat and I live in USA (known as kasha in my old country), but nah, generally you don't see people here eating buckwheat

Old 01-05-2014, 11:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Here in Texas we have a juxtaposition of several sorts of food that are commonly eaten (pretty much by everyone, regardless of ethnicity):

1. Tex Mex - YUM. Lots of beans, rice, cheese, corn tortillas, avocado, beef, chicken, cabbage, cilantro, pork, red and green sauces, hot sauce...WOW. Tons of flavor...and tons of calories. Beer to wash it down, or a margarita (or three). Dessert - hot sopapillas with honey drizzled over them.

2. BBQ - the smoky, sweet, wet sort. Ribs are especially popular, often served with potato salad, cole slaw, red beans, sliced onions, pickles, a couple of pieces of "light bread"...and plenty of beer. Dessert -apple or blackberry cobbler with ice cream.

3. Southern/soul food - collard or turnip greens, cornbread, chicken, corn on the cob, cabbage, black eyed peas, chicken and dumplings, chitlins, mashed potatoes and gravy, chicken-fried chicken or steak, green beans cooked with a big ham hock or fatback, with pitchers full of sweet iced tea with fresh lemon. Dessert - bread pudding with rum sauce - or maybe a lemon icebox pie...or maybe a buttermilk pie...

That being said, Texas has a lot of very large metro areas that are full of immigrants from literally all over the world. Even in the small town that I live in, we have several Pho restaurants, a couple of fabulous Thai restaurants, French Mediterranean, South American (Brazilian), as well as several Asian markets. Houston and Dallas have much greater variety.

Tonight...I had a baked sweet potato, a side of Greek yogurt, and iced tea...with a chai latte for dessert. Yesterday I had pho for dinner. So...go figger.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:39 PM

61,708 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
I love (roasted) buckwheat and buy it in Jewish section in our supermarket. I am eating other grains as well, but some are hard to get, except in ethnic stores. Not sure why people in my area don't eat much of whole grain, they seem to enjoy refined grains more...

Old 01-06-2014, 01:08 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Me.

Can't stand potatoes.

Usually I will just have chips and a chicken kiev (garlic) with sweetcorn (green giant).

Old 01-06-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
^ Dutch food doesn't look too bad Linda. Would you say it's overall fairly similar to German or British?
No thats quite different. That top thing is very odd.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
No. I have no idea what that is?

What?

Old 01-06-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here in Texas we have a juxtaposition of several sorts of food that are commonly eaten (pretty much by everyone, regardless of ethnicity):

1. Tex Mex - YUM. Lots of beans, rice, cheese, corn tortillas, avocado, beef, chicken, cabbage, cilantro, pork, red and green sauces, hot sauce...WOW. Tons of flavor...and tons of calories. Beer to wash it down, or a margarita (or three). Dessert - hot sopapillas with honey drizzled over them.

2. BBQ - the smoky, sweet, wet sort. Ribs are especially popular, often served with potato salad, cole slaw, red beans, sliced onions, pickles, a couple of pieces of "light bread"...and plenty of beer. Dessert -apple or blackberry cobbler with ice cream.

3. Southern/soul food - collard or turnip greens, cornbread, chicken, corn on the cob, cabbage, black eyed peas, chicken and dumplings, chitlins, mashed potatoes and gravy, chicken-fried chicken or steak, green beans cooked with a big ham hock or fatback, with pitchers full of sweet iced tea with fresh lemon. Dessert - bread pudding with rum sauce - or maybe a lemon icebox pie...or maybe a buttermilk pie...

That being said, Texas has a lot of very large metro areas that are full of immigrants from literally all over the world. Even in the small town that I live in, we have several Pho restaurants, a couple of fabulous Thai restaurants, French Mediterranean, South American (Brazilian), as well as several Asian markets. Houston and Dallas have much greater variety.

Tonight...I had a baked sweet potato, a side of Greek yogurt, and iced tea...with a chai latte for dessert. Yesterday I had pho for dinner. So...go figger.

Top one is close to what I eat. I eat fajitas, burritos and quesidillas regularly. I am obsessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World