Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:04 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
forgive me for my stupid assumptions, but I thought Australia was the friendliest country out of the anglophone countries (US, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand). I thought that because whenever I think of Australia, I think of people in the desert or in the beach and they are really relax and say "good day mate" or "no worries mate" in an uncomplicated attitude to people passing by.
Yeah I don't blame you, America, and probably Mexico, probably get a pretty stereotypical view of Australia. It's like us thinking all Mexicans wear sombrebos and have siesta all day long. Australians are still fairly friendly, but we're just the same as people everywhere. People in the cities will be less likely to take time out to say g'day, and we're so diverse and multicultural as well. I feel we're getting less friendly but more tolerant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
but yeah I think the Major Cities in Australia must be like New York, and The american Northeast. I think Mexico is a good choice for you. Well, since I'm Mexican and I've been there I know it better than other countries (not including the USA).

The major cities won't be too hard but not everyone is gonna be friendly and welcoming, nor will they greet you warmly. I feel the culture of Mexico City, Guadalajara, Monterrey and a few others have become more similar to that of the states. People like american media, US things, music, movies, toys, ipods, games, etc...Also it's harder when you don't have friends or people who know people and the place.. Probably most people you will meet is from your job, school, or club or something. Or...you can be bold and make a move by purposely bumping into people or asking people for directions to "X" place...stuff like that.

In the small or mid sized towns or even some fairly big towns in Guanajuato it's easy. You don't even have to do anything, people just approach you and talk to you weather you like it or not. Hahaha they are curious
Yes, especially Sydney...in fact I feel people in NYC are friendlier than Sydney. Melbourne where I live is friendlier and more down to earth for a big city.

Yes, I imagine. I actually shared a house with a Mexican lady for awhile, she was pretty amiable but mostly kept to herself, I met some of her Mexican friends. I guess it's the same everywhere.

What do you think of Ecuador or Peru? I've thought of teaching English there but they probably want to learn the American accent. I'd like to visit though and I hear it's relatively safe there. I want to learn Spanish though.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:26 PM

485 posts, read 2,244,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, especially Sydney...in fact I feel people in NYC are friendlier than Sydney. Melbourne where I live is friendlier and more down to earth for a big city.

Yes, I imagine. I actually shared a house with a Mexican lady for awhile, she was pretty amiable but mostly kept to herself, I met some of her Mexican friends. I guess it's the same everywhere.

What do you think of Ecuador or Peru? I've thought of teaching English there but they probably want to learn the American accent. I'd like to visit though and I hear it's relatively safe there. I want to learn Spanish though.
honestly I don't know about Ecuador or Peru or south american countries. I thought Peruvians are respectful and more passive and also more reserved than the Mexicans. I think it's due to their indigenous influence. My aunt went there and she said that especially the indigenous communities who are isolated usually aren't friendly or will invite people to their houses. She said that they actually did help them out and were very nice to them, but usually they don't talk to other people. Also I think it may depend on the person as you said, and maybe where there is more spanish influence, the people and the place may feel more inviting. I don't know about Ecuador.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
honestly I don't know about Ecuador or Peru or south american countries. I thought Peruvians are respectful and more passive and also more reserved than the Mexicans. I think it's due to their indigenous influence. My aunt went there and she said that especially the indigenous communities who are isolated usually aren't friendly or will invite people to their houses. She said that they actually did help them out and were very nice to them, but usually they don't talk to other people. Also I think it may depend on the person as you said, and maybe where there is more spanish influence, the people and the place may feel more inviting. I don't know about Ecuador.
Doesn't Mexico have a lot of indigenous influence too? I'm interested in the native culture nonetheless. I guess they are suspicious for good reason. I also hear Peru has a lot of Asians, which is interesting, one doesn't often hear about Asian Hispanics (I'm of Asian background myself). Yeah I get the impression the northern South American countries are more friendly and extroverted, but also more dangerous.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:45 PM

485 posts, read 2,244,609 times
Quote:
Doesn't Mexico have a lot of indigenous influence too? I'm interested in the native culture nonetheless. I guess they are suspicious for good reason. I also hear Peru has a lot of Asians, which is interesting, one doesn't often hear about Asian Hispanics (I'm of Asian background myself). Yeah I get the impression the northern South American countries are more friendly and extroverted, but also more dangerous.
me too. I think that about northern south america too. Yes Peru has the second largest asian community in Latin America after brazil...Also yes Mexico has a lot of indigenous influence especially southern mexico but indigenous people I think vary in different tribes. Some will be extroverted some will be introverted. Have you looked into the central american countries?

Old 11-27-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
me too. I think that about northern south america too. Yes Peru has the second largest asian community in Latin America after brazil...Also yes Mexico has a lot of indigenous influence especially southern mexico but indigenous people I think vary in different tribes. Some will be extroverted some will be introverted. Have you looked into the central american countries?
No haven't really considered Central America, South America interests me more. I'm hoping to go to South America and attend the 2014 Olympics in Rio.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:29 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times
Quote:
I feel we're getting less friendly but more tolerant.
Less friendly? Not sure. Busier, with less time for those we don't know well; definitely.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:15 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,400 times
The UK, Scandinavia or the Netherlands. Basically Northern Europe is a good place for loners.

I don't find the US a good place to be a loner and introvert. There's a lot more pressure to marry off by a certain age here (along with fulfill other societal expectations such as go to college, etc). Also people here tend to be far more extroverted. It does very a bit by state though, but nowhere in the US has the same level of tolerance for introversion as you'd find in my country of birth.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:07 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
The UK, Scandinavia or the Netherlands. Basically Northern Europe is a good place for loners.

I don't find the US a good place to be a loner and introvert. There's a lot more pressure to marry off by a certain age here (along with fulfill other societal expectations such as go to college, etc). Also people here tend to be far more extroverted. It does very a bit by state though, but nowhere in the US has the same level of tolerance for introversion as you'd find in my country of birth.
I've seen profiling tools like Myers-Briggs used more than a few times in a work environment here in Aus. Whenever the facilitator starts to discuss the extrovert-introvert dynamic, they invariably use a line like: "but its actually OK to be an introvert, introverts are good for some roles...."

Old 11-28-2013, 03:40 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
I have this notion that japan is the best country to be a loner

I saw a docu recently about japaneese men who have virtual girlfriends who they talk to online

the English have always had a fondness for eccentrics aswell

Ireland is not a good place to be a loner , its too rural , too small , too conformist and too parochial
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World