Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 11:11 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How is being parochial (thinking mostly about your local area) mean you're shoving it in everyone's face? It means the locals might not be unaware of the rest of the country. It leads to some silly assumptions — the Long Islanders who assume that much of the country past the Appalachians is an undifferentiated "middle America" but otherwise is mostly harmless. Or just makes it different. The NYC region had no country music (a style rather popular for at least a segment of the population for most of the country) radio station for over the last decade. There were radio stations in a number of other languages instead. (besides Spanish, there's Hindi and Russian for instance). Is that bad or just unique?
I mean, New Yorkers might be parochial and pay little attention to anywhere else, or have no interest in anywhere else, but still insist on shouting about how great New York is and how great being a New Yorker is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I don't doubt many Londoners feel this way. The fact there is a highly developed and distinct local culture in London, like NYC, which is informed as much these days by the rest of the world as by the rest of England, probably adds to that, but I think the difference is England is tiny - the size of New York State. London to Leeds is a similar distance to NYC to Boston, a tiny corner of the country. Leeds might be a world away in terms of accents etc, but it's still only a few hours away by train or driving. Still, with the media physical distance is less important. The accent in Yorkshire compared to London is way different as from California to the East Coast.

Well, like a lot of Londoners, most NYers are from somewhere else: well at least the inner areas. Most people have said true NYers are friendlier than the transplants, which form the majority. Perhaps the same is true of London. What is a 'cockney' anymore? Certainly not, according to most, anyone born within the sound of the Bow Bells. Most such people (if the bells still ring) today would most likely have names like Patel or Singh, or enjoy Jamaican patties and beans with rice instead of bangers'n'mash. The City of London is mostly financial now anyway...
It's a relatively short distance from Leeds to London, but they can feel worlds apart, and for many Londoners, it might as well not exist.

You know what? I've been told the the exact same thing about Londoners - that Londoners are friendlier than 'transplants'. I was told by a Londoner living in Kensington that the rudest people she encounters are people who weren't born in London but moved there from the 'provinces'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 11:51 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Given the distance, Miami and even Los Angeles (except in some media circles) don't get a whole lot of thought paid to it by New Yorkers, though some may move to them. Not sure why you picked Miami, it seems like it gets an oddly high amount of attention from foreign tourists. Philadelphia is larger than any British city and 100 miles from NYC; Boston is about the same distance as Leeds is from London but also a larger city.
Hmmm, I would say those cities probably get the most attention. LA for the entertainment, news/media, and Miami because well, it seems half of New York City retires there lol (well Florida). Sometimes there's that East coast/West coast rivalry, e.g. in music.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I mean, New Yorkers might be parochial and pay little attention to anywhere else, or have no interest in anywhere else, but still insist on shouting about how great New York is and how great being a New Yorker is.

It's a relatively short distance from Leeds to London, but they can feel worlds apart, and for many Londoners, it might as well not exist.

You know what? I've been told the the exact same thing about Londoners - that Londoners are friendlier than 'transplants'. I was told by a Londoner living in Kensington that the rudest people she encounters are people who weren't born in London but moved there from the 'provinces'.
Yeah people move there and think they've 'made it' and it makes them more hip and urbane than the rest. London doesn't have any city rivalry, it's more Southern vs Northern England, because it's such a primate city. NYC still has a rival in LA, even though they're so different.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:26 AM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
I thought the brash and swagger stereotypes came from long-term, mostly white residents.
It might have come from them initially (I think NYC was still something like 90% white up until the 50s), but it's now pretty pervasive across all ethnic groups in NYC.

Quote:
Yeah people move there and think they've 'made it' and it makes them more hip and urbane than the rest. London doesn't have any city rivalry, it's more Southern vs Northern England, because it's such a primate city. NYC still has a rival in LA, even though they're so different.
London does sort of have a rivalry with both Paris and NYC. It sort of makes sense given they all occupy the same tier.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It might have come from them initially (I think NYC was still something like 90% white up until the 50s), but it's now pretty pervasive across all ethnic groups in NYC.

London does sort of have a rivalry with both Paris and NYC. It sort of makes sense given they all occupy the same tier.
Well I mean within the UK. But yes, London's main rivals now are NYC and Paris. NYC for influence/finance/fashion/art and Paris because it's more similar in size, history, character, feel.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Well I mean within the UK. But yes, London's main rivals now are NYC and Paris. NYC for influence/finance/fashion/art and Paris because it's more similar in size, history, character, feel.
Paris also because of global influence due to being the leading coty of the francophone world, international organizations and the large number of global 500 companies second only to Tokyo.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Hmmm, I would say those cities probably get the most attention. LA for the entertainment, news/media, and Miami because well, it seems half of New York City retires there lol (well Florida). Sometimes there's that East coast/West coast rivalry, e.g. in music.
Maybe Florida in general, but I don't think Miami in particular gets that much attention, at least in the Northeast. And places like LA and Florida are far away, people don't think or know much about them here. Part of the reason for the parochialism of New York is the size of the country, it's hard to know much about other ends of the country unless you have family or friends there. There was a thread on the NYC forum that went like this...

Q: What do New Yorkers think of LA?
A: [most common response] We don't.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Maybe Florida in general, but I don't think Miami in particular gets that much attention, at least in the Northeast. And places like LA and Florida are far away, people don't think or know much about them here. Part of the reason for the parochialism of New York is the size of the country, it's hard to know much about other ends of the country unless you have family or friends there. There was a thread on the NYC forum that went like this...

Q: What do New Yorkers think of LA?
A: [most common response] We don't.
Well a lot of New Yorkers live around say Ft Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Coconut Beach and parts of Dade County, some people say the area is almost like a colony of NY. Even in shows like Seinfield you hear references to parents living in Florida.etc. In the Goldfather II there was a scene in Miami. In the film Midnight Cowboy they end up going to Miami. Plus the Hispanic connection, NY has a lot of Hispanics...

Whether they admit it or not, LA is such a huge cultural influence NYers can't help but be aware of LA and California. From the rivalry in the 60s, to the hip hop rivalry, till today...plus the economic connection between the two, thousands flying between LA and NY today. LA has the largest Jewish population west of the Mississippi, many former New Yorkers. Many film stars trained in NY then went to Hollywood. In some ways they're the most connected parts of the US to NY.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Well a lot of New Yorkers live around say Ft Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Coconut Beach and parts of Dade County, some people say the area is almost like a colony of NY. Even in shows like Seinfield you hear references to parents living in Florida.etc. In the Goldfather II there was a scene in Miami. In the film Midnight Cowboy they end up going to Miami. Plus the Hispanic connection, NY has a lot of Hispanics...

Whether they admit it or not, LA is such a huge cultural influence NYers can't help but be aware of LA and California. From the rivalry in the 60s, to the hip hop rivalry, till today...plus the economic connection between the two, thousands flying between LA and NY today. LA has the largest Jewish population west of the Mississippi, many former New Yorkers. Many film stars trained in NY then went to Hollywood. In some ways they're the most connected parts of the US to NY.
Florida is where New Yorkers go to die. It's a long, honorable tradition. Sort of like what elephants do.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Florida is where New Yorkers go to die. It's a long, honorable tradition. Sort of like what elephants do.
Haha you could say that! I heard Northeasterners prefer the east coast of Florida while Midwesterners prefer the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World