Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
New York 6 24.00%
London 6 24.00%
Los Angeles 13 52.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:26 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,822,132 times

Advertisements

Overall, which city in the world do you think has had the most influence/impact on culture and society, both pop culture and social mores in the world, in the last 50-60 years (let's say from 1950 onwards)? The English speaking world and by proxy the rest...

I'd say it's probably out of New York, London and Los Angeles with Tokyo possibly coming fourth.

Here are something things each city has contributed:

New York City: Pop art, Jackson Pollock and abstract painting, modern art, poetry, folk revival, tin-pan alley, crooners and bobbysoxers, modern jazz, proto-punk and American punk, New Wave, electro and dance, rap and hip hop, one of the pop centres, tons of TV shows from NYPD blue to Seinfield, countless movies set there, Broadway, experimental theatre, gangster films, food (hot dogs, American style pizza, bagels), modern urban culture, fashion innovator, massively commercial and globalised with many fortune 500 companies based here, popularising blue jeans and T-shirt, punk fashion, Stonewall and gay culture, the popularisation of the skyscraper (even if Chicago had them first), famous landmarks like the Statue of Liberty, being seen as the unofficial centre of the world.

London: Another great innovative centre for modern art, big centre for publishing industry/publishes more books than any other city in the world, cultural hub of the world, swinging London, Beat music, British psychedelia, the British Invasion, fashion - Carnaby street.etc, a centre of arty indie rock dub-step etc, centre for theatre and performing arts/classical music, the West End, TV shows like Eastenders and countless films, the Cockney accent, 'Cool Britannia', also seen a unofficial capital of the world and magnet for immigrants.

Los Angeles: Hollywood - need I say more?, centre of Television industry (countless tv series shot there), command centre of the American music industry, more celebs per capita, most of the huge American celebs have a home here, popularised the auto-dominated way of life, fast food, noir and noir literature and film, home to many important 60s-70s groups from the Beach Boys, Doors, Carpenters, Eagles.etc, heavy metal and stadium rock, surf rock, major centre for hip hop and gangster culture, global brand names, surfing/beach, culture, Valley girls, also important centre for modern art, many landmarks/household names, depicted in countless films...

I'd go with Los Angeles, actually, due to it's sheer influence in pop culture...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 07:34 AM

10,647 posts, read 16,051,492 times
LA in the last 60 years, NYC in the 60 years before that and London in the couple hundred years before that.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,556,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
LA in the last 60 years, NYC in the 60 years before that and London in the couple hundred years before that.
I would think Paris would be the most culturally influential, at least for more higher-brow culture, from maybe 1830-1930? NYC's peak influence might be around 1950, Los Angeles maybe 1960-1990.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I would think Paris would be the most culturally influential, at least for more higher-brow culture, from maybe 1830-1930? NYC's peak influence might be around 1950, Los Angeles maybe 1960-1990.
I wonder if the rest of the decade will see Seoul become one of the most influential cities in the world. It already is on the technology, music, film and TV front.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,052,665 times
Mumbai, the capital of Bollywood. Do you have any idea of how many billion people in the world in the past 60 years consider Bollywood pictures to be their principal form of entertainment? People to whom New York is no more meaningful than Oz.

Sorry, folks, the King of Heavy Metal is not the king of the world -- only the king of your tiny circle of immature culture on the shores of the North Atlantic Ocean. And the KHM is whoever the corporate headquarters of Sony/BMG appoint to the figurehead throne to keep you on your knees and the revenues rolling in. (It's why it is called "royalties")

Case in point, I just went to a site of the top hits of the 90s, a decade I spent mostly in the third world, where one is constantly exposed to music, played on boom boxes in the streets.. Eight of the top ten songs had two things in common. 1, they were completely unfamiliar to me, I had never heard them before, and 2. they all had the same mindless, stupefying, hypnotic loud rhythm beat and a complete absence of any vocal melody.

http://top40.about.com/od/hitsofthe9...0s.-CSM.09.htm

In the third world, the music of the North Atlantic simply does not exist.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-26-2013 at 10:38 AM..

Old 11-26-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Mumbai, the capital of Bollywood. Do you have any idea of how many billion people in the world consider Bollywood pictures to be their principal form of entertainment?
Well no more than one billion. In contrast, I think half the world (unfortunately) knows how Justin Bieber is, or an A-list Hollywood stars, who jumped off from places like LA. In rural Sri Lanka I saw 'I love Justin Bieber' T-shirt or Lady Gaga or Nicki Minaj. How can you even compare Mumbai to the others? Are you being seriously?

Old 11-26-2013, 10:20 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,556,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well no more than one billion. In contrast, I think half the world (unfortunately) knows how Justin Bieber is, or an A-list Hollywood stars, who jumped off from places like LA. In rural Sri Lanka I saw 'I love Justin Bieber' T-shirt or Lady Gaga or Nicki Minaj. How can you even compare Mumbai to the others? Are you being seriously?

Bollywood is well known outside of India, Bollywood films have a larger audience than Hollywood ones.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Bollywood is well known outside of India, Bollywood films have a larger audience than Hollywood ones.
Er what, seriously? Yeah mostly among expat Indians, those who are into it or world film buffs. For the most part, the majority of the world is unaware of Bollywood. I doubt most people outside the sub-continent could name the big Bollywood films or actors.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:39 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,540,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Mumbai, the capital of Bollywood. Do you have any idea of how many billion people in the world in the past 60 years consider Bollywood pictures to be their principal form of entertainment? People to whom New York is no more meaningful than Oz.

Sorry, folks, the King of Heavy Metal is not the king of the world -- only the king of your tiny circle of immature culture on the shores of the North Atlantic Ocean. And the KHM is whoever the corporate headquarters of Sony/BMG appoint to the figurehead throne to keep you on your knees and the revenues rolling in. (It's why it is called "royalties")
Let's be honest, those Bollywood films aren't any more mature than the cultural debris we turn out. I watch those occasionally at Indian restaurants and they're incredibly corny. They're entertaining junk for the masses as much as any Hollywood film--we're not talking high art with those...

And heavy metal died in mass popularity in like the early 90s...

Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,052,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Er what, seriously? Yeah mostly among expat Indians, those who are into it or world film buffs. For the most part, the majority of the world is unaware of Bollywood. I doubt most people outside the sub-continent could name the big Bollywood films or actors.
By far the most popular movies being screened in Africa and the Middle-east, and a very large number in southeast Asia, are Bollywood. They are now, and they have been (even more so) for at least the last 60 years, the scope of the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World