Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 11:08 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

Greastest Cities of the World: London - YouTube

Presented by Griff-Rhys Jones. This aired on telly here a few years ago, and when I saw it at the ABC (our BBC) shop I decided to get the 6-part series. I think it's one of the best doco series' on cities there is. Most documentaries on cities, I find, like the NG 'Megacities' series, either focus too much on one aspect and not on the city as a whole (e.g. the Megacity episode for London focused mostly on Heathrow, for HK on the port, I mean seriously?), on dry history or are travel docs, which are great. I find Lonely Planet has too many things on some avantgarde theater group, whereas I want to know about the CITY itself: the neighbourhoods, the vibe. It's great to hear individual stories, but I like broader overviews.

I think this series strikes a good balance between both. There are plenty of shots of the same famous landmarks, and aerial views of the city, but also interesting vignettes of city life/peculiarities. I think his social commentaries at least try to get beneath the surface of what life in the city is like and as a presenter he's pretty good. For the episode for Sydney, for instance, it didn't tend to focus on places OUTSIDE the actual city like the beaches, national parks (although of course included that too) like docs on Australian cities always tend to do. At least it talked about Sydney CITY itself.

Overall highly recommended...I mean most eps seem to be on youtube anyway. I highly recommend you check out the London ep. I'm not soliciting/advertising, just think it's a great look into the city lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 03:45 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,607 times
Thanks for posting, looks great

Old 12-04-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Thanks for posting, looks great
Yep! Highly recommended.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Where did you find the Lonely Planet city videos? Are they online anywhere?

Old 12-04-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Where did you find the Lonely Planet city videos? Are they online anywhere?
Well there's Lonely Planet 6 Degrees and the Globetrekker Series (which were branded as LP). Mostly DVD's, but you can actually pay-per view episodes on youtube, like $3 for a 3 day 'hire.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World