Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:35 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

How did your English get so good? Where did you learn it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 08:50 AM

183 posts, read 295,473 times
80s tv
90s net
after that never felt the need to look back

Old 12-04-2013, 08:57 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,372,663 times
A long way until I got my current level (which I couldn't say how good it is).

I studied English for one year and a half when I was a child, but my behaviour was apparently poor and my parents gave up sending me there. Then I had three years of English (and two years of French) at the secondary school. Still a very basic English I'd say. When I started college I had the need to improve my knowledge of the language and I studied on myself a lot. Just several years ago I got really interested in speaking fluently a second language so I took more serious English courses at the University of Buenos Aires, so here I am.

A related question I wonder is how native speakers see/deal with us non-native speakers whose writing skills are obviouly not as good as theirs and might commit many grammar and spelling mistakes. How annoying is it?

Old 12-04-2013, 09:19 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
I'm a native Anglophone but I'm equally fascinated about how people become fluent in other languages.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:27 PM

I grew up in French Canadian family but we lived in various part of "English Canada" during my childhood and youth. For the most part, life was in French at home and in English outside the home. Though some years I did get to go to school in French in minority schools that were being set up outside of Quebec in the 1980s - but even there a lot of the kids tended to speak English in the schoolyard anyway.

I don't actually remember NOT knowing English, so I was probably bilingual by age 3 or 4.

By the time I was in my late teens it was more my native French that needed shoring up, and some relatives in my family remarked that my French was getting a bit broken.

As a young adult I moved to Quebec, a much more francophone environment than I had ever lived in before.

In the 15 years or so that I have lived here my spoken English has gotten more accented (whereas I never had an accent as a child or a teen), but my writing skills have remained as strong as ever.

The result of this "diglossy" for some members of my family has been that some are bilingual but with both so-so French-accented English and so-so English-accented French.

For my part, I have had to work hard in order to maintain a good level of French (in my younger years), and in my later years (since moving to Quebec) to maintain a good level of English.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:30 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
English is an easy language to learn by virtue alone of the fact that everyone regardless of nationality is highly exposed to movies and music which are largely in English

Last edited by irish_bob; 12-04-2013 at 02:22 PM..

Old 12-04-2013, 01:33 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
How did your English get so good? Where did you learn it?
Moved to the mainland US, so learned it in the school environment being immersed in it. Video games, and TV

Old 12-04-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
English is an easy language to learn by virtue alone of the fact that everyone regardless of nationality is highly exposed to movies and music which are largely speaking in English
This is a popular misconception. You won't gain any level of fluency in a language via passive exposure to popular music in that language. Plus the lyrics in much of the English-language music popular these days are either mangled, slangy or both. It's sometimes difficult for even a native English speaker to follow.

And as for TV and movies, the stuff produced originally in English is all translated for local markets, so you don't need to know English to access that.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:54 PM

869 posts, read 1,125,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I grew up in French Canadian family but we lived in various part of "English Canada" during my childhood and youth. For the most part, life was in French at home and in English outside the home. Though some years I did get to go to school in French in minority schools that were being set up outside of Quebec in the 1980s - but even there a lot of the kids tended to speak English in the schoolyard anyway.

I don't actually remember NOT knowing English, so I was probably bilingual by age 3 or 4.

By the time I was in my late teens it was more my native French that needed shoring up, and some relatives in my family remarked that my French was getting a bit broken.

As a young adult I moved to Quebec, a much more francophone environment than I had ever lived in before.

In the 15 years or so that I have lived here my spoken English has gotten more accented (whereas I never had an accent as a child or a teen), but my writing skills have remained as strong as ever.

The result of this "diglossy" for some members of my family has been that some are bilingual but with both so-so French-accented English and so-so English-accented French.

For my part, I have had to work hard in order to maintain a good level of French (in my younger years), and in my later years (since moving to Quebec) to maintain a good level of English.
And still you'd be a willing capo for the language police

What psycho-drama would explain this?

You been stung by wasps too many times or is it something else ?

Doctor Jon is here for you

Old 12-04-2013, 01:57 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,881 times
TV and practicing everyday.
And try to limit mingling with people who speak your mother tongue.
Even after doing all those, they still think that I have a little accent. Although they cannot really pin it down.
The way I see it is that it adds character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World