Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 07:29 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
No, no. Canadian bacon is Pemale Bacon. Originally from Toronto. Made of pork belly.
The name Canadians know it by most predominantly is back bacon and I eat it all the time. Peameal bacon is the next most well known, and this is specifically back bacon packed coated with peameal or cornmeal. Peameal bacon sandwiches are a local Toronto specialty, dating back to when Toronto's nickname of Hogtown was more widespread due to the big animal processing industry that was based there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 07:34 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Yes, I am aware of the conservation groups supports Inuits and Native Americans hunting whales sustainably, but they are still against sustainable commercial hunting of abundant whales in white northern European countries, I have for example never heard about any conservation group who supports Norwegian commercial whaling, even though its sustainable, and even though the species is not endangered. It seems like its just non-PC to support any hunt that is commercial, even if it happens to be sustainable.

But commercial does NOT equal unsustainable. In my country, Sweden, there is people who hunts moose commercially with quotas, and thats also very sustainable. The mooses are shot by commercial hunters, and the meat eventually ends up in grocery stores and supermarkets so that I and others who likes the meat can buy it. Really the same thing with whale meat in Norway, actually. If I'm not wrong, there is also commercial kangaroo hunters in Australia who (sustainably) shoots kangaroos for meat and leather.

I am also aware of that Australian aboriginal Torres Strait Islanders are allowed by the Queensland and Australian government to hunt dugongs (a marine mammal) for their traditional food culture, even though they are endangered. Not sure if its sustainable or not since they are endangered, but its fully legal for them. Here is a reportage on TV about it:

Hunting rights hide horror for dugongs, turtles - YouTube
Well like you say a lot of people might not be that informed about the specifics about whaling. Plus here we always here about Japanese whaling, how they cover it up as 'scientific research', and how they're a threat. Many conservationists are far from bleeding hearts, I mean the 1080 poison baiting programme in Australia which gets rid of foxes and feral cats has saved many native animals from the brink. But I wonder what PETA and some other groups would think of it? Or even the RSPCA?

Old 12-08-2013, 07:39 PM

44 posts, read 103,076 times
Quote:
Yes. But public opinion however is much, much more intense, stronger and extreme against all forms of whaling in the UK, than in countries outside the Anglosphere. At least based on personal experience, since I have not experienced any intense public opinion against all whaling in Sweden and other countries in the world that are not part of the Anglosphere.

For example, compare the British reactions to Norwegian whaling, to the Swedish reactions. Even though Sweden borders Norway and the UK is much further away, the reactions by the public are much more intense, strong and against whaling in the UK, totally ignoring that the species they hunt in Norweginan waters is NOT endangered. The British are against whaling just because its whales, without caring whether the species are endangered or not.

The reactions in Sweden are almost none.
Public Opinion in the UK is very much against all forms of animal cruelty, and we have a history of animal rights and debate regarding animal ethics going back to the philosopher John Locke and beyond. Today the debate still rages with academics such as the Revd Professor Andrew Linzey, Head of the Oxford University Centre for Animal Ethics arguing in support of a Bill of Rights for Animals, whilst a host of animal rights and environmental groups also exist in the UK.

Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics

Last edited by Chatter; 12-08-2013 at 07:50 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, I am aware of the conservation groups supports Inuits and Native Americans hunting whales sustainably, but they are still against sustainable commercial hunting of abundant whales in white northern European countries, I have for example never heard about any conservation group who supports Norwegian commercial whaling, even though its sustainable, and even though the species is not endangered. It seems like its just non-PC to support any hunt that is commercial, even if it happens to be sustainable. A conservation group is likely to be more angry about Scandinavian commercial whalers killing a non-endangered and abundant whale, than an Inuit or Native American killing an endangered whale.

But commercial does NOT equal unsustainable. In my country, Sweden, there is people who hunts moose commercially with quotas, and thats also very sustainable. The mooses are shot by commercial hunters, and the meat eventually ends up in grocery stores and supermarkets so that I and others who likes the meat can buy it. Really the same thing with whale meat in Norway, actually. If I'm not wrong, there is also commercial kangaroo hunters in Australia who (sustainably) shoots kangaroos for meat and leather.

I am also aware of that Australian aboriginal Torres Strait Islanders are allowed by the Queensland and Australian government to hunt dugongs (a marine mammal) for their traditional food culture, even though they are endangered. Not sure if its sustainable or not since they are endangered, but its fully legal for them. Here is a reportage on TV about it:

Hunting rights hide horror for dugongs, turtles - YouTube

Yeah a lot of them exploit it (not all). I know it's traditional and all, but they're endangered and we live in the modern age, you can't turn back time. It just opens the door to exploitation.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:54 PM

990 posts, read 1,943,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
Public Opinion in the UK is very much against all forms of animal cruelty, and we have a history of animal rights and debate regarding a animal ethics going back to the philosopher John Locke and beyond. Today the debate still rages with people such as
So killing an animal = automatically animal cruelty?

People who hunts whales in Scandinavia does so with the quickest and best methods possible, in the Scandinavian Faroe Islands for example they only hunt pilot whales, and they kill them by severing the neck from the spine with a whale knife, killing the pilot whales instantly when the neck and the main arteries are severed from the brain. This process does not take more than 2 minutes, usually less than 1 minute. Another method is the spinal lance, also killing the pilot whales instantly, however with LOTS of blood involved since they bleed out after they have been killed. And the hooks nowadays that they catch the whales with are blunt, because its more humane that way and the old pointy and sharp hooks has been abolished since that would be unnessecary cruelty.

Here is a recent example, look how quickly they are killed, now compare this to British factory farming where pigs are locked up their entire lives. As you can see, killing a whale with a knife is really quick and takes less than 1 minute.

Grindadra

For example, look at 2:24 to 2:33, extremely fast, and over in 9 seconds. And look how fast everyone is acting, they rush from one whale to another to make it all be over as quickly as possible, its NOT like they are slowing it down or prolonging it, they are doing it as quickly and fast as they can.

To many uneducated viewers this might look extremely disturbing just because of all the blood, which is what most people are shocked by, and uses as an excuse to justify hatred against the Faroe Islands who has some of the friendliest people in the world.

To many people this is also disturbing just cause they have been brainwashed and indoctrinated since birth that killing whales is wrong just because it is whales.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 12-08-2013 at 08:04 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 07:59 PM

44 posts, read 103,076 times
Quote:
So killing an animal = automatically animal cruelty?

People who hunts whales in Scandinavia does so with the quickest and best methods possible, in the Scandinavian Faroe Islands for example they only hunt pilot whales, and they kill them by severing the neck from the spine with a whale knife, killing the pilot whales instantly when the neck and the main arteries are severed from the brain. This process does not take more than 2 minutes, usually less than 1 minute. Another method is the spinal lance, also killing the pilot whales instantly, however with LOTS of blood involved since they bleed out after they have been killed. And the hooks nowadays that they catch the whales with are blunt, because its more humane that way and the old pointy and sharp hooks has been abolished since that would be unnessecary cruelty.

Here is a recent example, look how quickly they are killed, now compare this to British factory farming where pigs are locked up their entire lives. As you can see, killing a whale with a knife is really quick and takes less than 1 minute.

Grindadra

To many uneducated viewers this might look extremely disturbing just because of all the blood, which is what most people are shocked by, and uses as an excuse to justify hatred against the Faroe Islands who has some of the friendliest people in the world.

To many people this is also disturbing just cause they have been brainwashed and indoctrinated since birth that killing whales is wrong just because it is whales.
I don't think many people would dispute the fact that whaling is fairly cruel no matter what method you use.

Campaign Whale » The Faroes Islands: cruel whale and dolphin slaughter!

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Whaling 'too cruel to continue'

The cruelty of whaling | IFAW - International Fund for Animal Welfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPA

The welfare of pigs in the UK is generally better than in the rest of Europe. A proportion of pigs in the UK have access to the outdoors. The UK has banned the use of sow stalls (also known as gestation crates) that cruelly limit the ability of pregnant sows to move. Male pigs in the UK are typically spared the pain of castration without anaesthetic, a cruel practice that is guaranteed against by the Soil Association and RSPCA’s Freedom Foods standards.

Pig Welfare

Compassion in World Farming - The farm animal welfare charity
Animal Rights Groups also disagree with intensive farming and have helped bring about change to conditions and laws.

Last edited by Chatter; 12-08-2013 at 08:18 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 08:01 PM

Showing that bloody scene probably isn't going to get people on your side Magnus lol.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:07 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Do they need that meat?

Please note, I said need, not want. I guess they want the meat but do they need it?

Old 12-08-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Showing that bloody scene probably isn't going to get people on your side Magnus lol.
Of course, many people thinks that just becuase there is blood it automatically has to be brutal and cruel. But the fact is that animals does bleed when you kill them, ESPECIALLY if its done in water. I imagine that killing pigs at a beach with the usual methods would look similar. I kindly ask people to instead look at how quickly its done, for example 2:24 to 2:33, look closley, it took all in all 9 seconds. But of course, idiots sensitive of blood will call it "cruel cruel cruel" just because of the blood, without taking a closer and more detailed look of whats actually happening.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Do they need that meat?

Please note, I said need, not want. I guess they want the meat but do they need it?

Short answer: no they dont need it.

But you dont need pork or beef, either. You (if you are not vegetarian) eats pork and beef cause you want it, and not because you need it. You, as well as I, could turn to eat fruits and vegetables instead if we wanted to, but we choose a meat based diet instead. And so does the people who eats whale meat.

Those whales dies because those who eats them wants the meat, just like the pigs and cows dies because people (like you for example, and the vast majority of your country) wants the meat.

It should be mentioned though that pork and beef is really expensive in the Faroe Islands since it has to be imported, many prefers to eat whats available there, which is fish, birds, sheep, and whales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World