Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 12:03 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
To answer to the thread´s question i think no, they aren´t similar enough to the the world´s most ones. USA is way too huge and too diverse. I believe you can find some more similar countries, it´s not i know but i just think -let´s say Honduras and El Salvador, Argentina and Uruguay. In Europe perhaps Germany- Austria, Netherlands-Belgium, Russia-Belaarus are mor similat than Canada and US.
Just a fyi - Canada the worlds second largest country is also huge and very diverse..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 12:44 PM

172 posts, read 176,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
To answer to the thread´s question i think no, they aren´t similar enough to the the world´s most ones. USA is way too huge and too diverse. I believe you can find some more similar countries, it´s not i know but i just think -let´s say Honduras and El Salvador, Argentina and Uruguay. In Europe perhaps Germany- Austria, Netherlands-Belgium, Russia-Belaarus are mor similat than Canada and US.

Germany is relatively small, but still very diverse. Maybe Bavaria and Austria are somewhat similar, surely not Austria to entire Germany. You will probably find countries that are more similar than for example the German states Bavaria and Nordrhein-Westfalen.

Netherlands and Belgium? No surely not, because of the French speaking Wallonie. Flandern and Wallonie are very diverse.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:46 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,337,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Just a fyi - Canada the worlds second largest country is also huge and very diverse..
LOL..you beat me to it.

There is this perception in the world that Canada isn't diverse in either landscape or people. Even Botti didn't know about the badlands in Alberta...and I can't tell you how many people are surprised to learn about parts of B.C. that are scrubland and look like California.

Also that good quality wines are produced here.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:54 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,376,619 times
Quote:
Examples of Group dynamics?
Examples of the multitude of things that influence our behavior, views and perceptions.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
LOL..you beat me to it.

There is this perception in the world that Canada isn't diverse in either landscape or people. Even Botti didn't know about the badlands in Alberta...and I can't tell you how many people are surprised to learn about parts of B.C. that are scrubland and look like California.

Pretty sure most people know that Canada is larger but i think he or she was talking in terms of how much larger the population of the USA is compared to Canada, more people. more development. more cities. that is where it becomes hard to compare a nation with 300 million people vs one with 30 million people.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:09 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Examples of the multitude of things that influence our behavior, views and perceptions.

Just read about group dynamics.. They don't just apply to national boundaries either.. They can be regional in nature and cross those but hard to dismiss the concept of group dynamics as they relate to human behaviour and perception - even nationally.. Do we need to twist out every drop of water from the towel here?

Quote:
Pretty sure most people know that Canada is larger but i think he or she was talking in terms of how much larger the population of the USA is compared to Canada, more people. more development. more cities. that is where it becomes hard to compare a nation with 300 million people vs one with 30 million people.
I'm not really sure larger population or cities equates on its own to more diversity.. You could have an incredibly diverse smaller sample.. No sense getting the who more diverse argument imo - I think both are very diverse - you'd have to start getting really granular and splitting at hairs.

Quote:
LOL..you beat me to it.

Yeah and its not a matter of saying one is more than the other - its just countering lack of knowledge and ignorance about Canada which drives some lumping it in entirety into the same basket as the U.S.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-19-2015 at 02:20 PM..

Old 07-19-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:

Actually, I'm pretty sure most people do not know Canada is larger geographically, even though only by 10 percent. In most of my encounters with people outside of Canada, and that includes Americans, Europeans etc, they really don't have a concept of Canada's size.

Those stories about tourists in Toronto wanting to drive to Vancouver for the weekend are true.

Population, true. Most would know that the population is much larger in the US.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Just read about group dynamics.. They don't just apply to national boundaries either.. They can be regional in nature and cross those but hard to dismiss the concept of group dynamics as they relate to human behaviour and perception - even nationally.. Do we need to twist out every drop of water from the towel here?

I'm not really sure larger population or cities equates on its own to more diversity.. You could have an incredibly diverse smaller sample.. No sense getting the who more diverse argument imo - I think both are very diverse - you'd have to start getting really granular and splitting at hairs.

Yeah and its not a matter of saying one is more than the other - its just countering lack of knowledge and ignorance about Canada which drives some lumping it in entirety into the same basket as the U.S.

I've mentioned this story in other threads, but I've had to explain to a host in Germany that Canada had it's own laws, as well as a friend from Spokane, Washington, who thought US laws applied to Canada.

Thankfully they are not the majority.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:13 PM

3,238 posts, read 2,364,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorianD View Post
Germany is relatively small, but still very diverse. Maybe Bavaria and Austria are somewhat similar, surely not Austria to entire Germany. You will probably find countries that are more similar than for example the German states Bavaria and Nordrhein-Westfalen.

Netherlands and Belgium? No surely not, because of the French speaking Wallonie. Flandern and Wallonie are very diverse.
Well, Germany is not the best example then, yes but it is at least monolingual country which can not be said about Canada.

Austria and Lichtenstein then

Old 07-19-2015, 03:23 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,376,619 times
Quote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure most people do not know Canada is larger geographically, even though only by 10 percent. In most of my encounters with people outside of Canada, and that includes Americans, Europeans etc, they really don't have a concept of Canada's size.

Those stories about tourists in Toronto wanting to drive to Vancouver for the weekend are true.

Population, true. Most would know that the population is much larger in the US.
Its a well accepted fact with everyone i know that Russia and Canada are the largest countries in the world... i used to actually think Canada was bigger than it really was.

I only learned recently that Canada and America are roughly the same size, i used to think Canada was almost twice the size of America.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:37 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 8 days ago)

34,401 posts, read 16,502,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
He's on the public record stating not only that he did not consult the Queen, but there was no need for him to do so.
I know he said it. I just don't believe it. If he admitted to that he'd be admitting that AU isn't fully independent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
What's the "HOC"?
House of Commons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World