Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 10:24 AM

208 posts, read 546,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
I thought "Durazno" was "Peach"...

Hot Dog = Perro caliente.

My problem is the english, I thought peach and apricot was the same.

PD: Catbelle is the guilty one here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 10:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I found that in the Andean countries, the Spanish was a lot easier for an English speaker to understand. I suspect that is because so many people in Andean countries (Bolivia, Peru. Ecuador) still speak Spanish as a second language (after their indigenous language), so they speak Spanish more like I do -- slower, in relatively simple grammatical form with fewer idioms and more phonetic purity.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,370,646 times
You guys are right!
Peach = durazno (Argentina) = melocotón (Spain)
Apricot = damasco (Argentina) = albaricoque? (Spain) = chabacano? (Mexico)

Old 12-11-2013, 11:23 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempranillo View Post
My problem is the english, I thought peach and apricot was the same.

PD: Catbelle is the guilty one here.
Me too, I assumed the same. Apricot= melocotón. English problem.

This thread reminds me to a discussion I read yesterday about orange colour. Naranja vs anaranjado. lol

Oh, how hard it is to speak Spanish! - YouTube

Old 12-11-2013, 03:13 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I found that in the Andean countries, the Spanish was a lot easier for an English speaker to understand. I suspect that is because so many people in Andean countries (Bolivia, Peru. Ecuador) still speak Spanish as a second language (after their indigenous language), so they speak Spanish more like I do -- slower, in relatively simple grammatical form with fewer idioms and more phonetic purity.
I've heard that too.

I was actually going to study my final semester abroad in Ecuador, but could not due to unforeseen medical problems.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:22 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I thought Spanish was phonetically spoken, so I wouldnt think thered be much variation in pronunciation.
It generally is, but there is a lot of variation in the pronunciation (or non-pronunciation) of consonants. For example, in Mexico City it might be /s/ but in Madrid it's /θ/ and in the Dominican Republic it isn't pronounced at all. Considered individually, they barely make a difference but summed up they do. Vocabulary terms for various things vary cross-nationally too, especially for terms coined after 1800 or so (as with English).

Despite this, I would rank Spanish as one of the easiest languages to learn and speak for first-language English speakers.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:36 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I thought Spanish was phonetically spoken, so I wouldnt think thered be much variation in pronunciation.
Oh, there's alot of variation in Spanish accents. It's easy to tell who's Carribean, Spaniard, Argentine, or Mexican as soon they speak. Especially Argentines, as they sound like an Italian speaking Spanish, lol.

Living in the LA area with such as huge Spanish speaking population. I could distinguish Guatemalan and El Salvadoran accents from Mexican accents. Mexican accents sound a bit sing songy to me.

The most neutral I'd say is the Andean countries. Those countries don't show much stigmatized features like the other Spanish accents.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:10 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Why do people talk so much about a "neutral" Spanish accent?

If you speak Spanish well, you'll understand it from any country. The only difference you're going to see is the meanings of a lot of words changing between the different countries.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:51 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
There is no such thing as a neutral or normal accent. Everyone speak the right way according to where they are from.

Quote:
If you speak Spanish well, you'll understand it from any country.
Exactly.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:23 PM

485 posts, read 2,244,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Oh, there's alot of variation in Spanish accents. It's easy to tell who's Carribean, Spaniard, Argentine, or Mexican as soon they speak. Especially Argentines, as they sound like an Italian speaking Spanish, lol.

Living in the LA area with such as huge Spanish speaking population. I could distinguish Guatemalan and El Salvadoran accents from Mexican accents. Mexican accents sound a bit sing songy to me.

The most neutral I'd say is the Andean countries. Those countries don't show much stigmatized features like the other Spanish accents.
Aah... no. Guatemalans and Salvadorans talk like Mexicans but slower. They talk like the southern Mexicans in the Yucatan Peninsula, and the southern states of Tabasco and Chiapas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World