Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Country with the friendliest people?
Spain 4 3.81%
Philippines 5 4.76%
Australia 1 0.95%
New Zealand 3 2.86%
Switzerland 0 0%
Canada 19 18.10%
Chile 2 1.90%
Denmark 2 1.90%
United States 21 20.00%
United Kingdom 8 7.62%
Finland 0 0%
The Netherlands 0 0%
Sweden 1 0.95%
Germany 2 1.90%
Japan 1 0.95%
Austria 1 0.95%
Thailand 4 3.81%
Indonesia 0 0%
Greece 1 0.95%
Italy 2 1.90%
Mexico 2 1.90%
Russia 0 0%
China 1 0.95%
France 3 2.86%
Brazil 5 4.76%
Other 17 16.19%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:12 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Here's a map of the friendliest and least friendliest countries

A surprising map of the countries that are most and least welcoming to foreigners

Very interesting map. Surprised to see Oman and Yemen to be welcoming, not surprised to see Russia and much of Asia as being not welcoming. The US and Germany are just average, that surprises me too as I have been to Germany and had a very welcoming experience there. As an American I don't like to see that we are just average in that category, we need to improve. Also Canadians are very very friendly people, ive never felt unwelcome when there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 12:01 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
^^

Maybe it's just you? I seem to remember you claiming we're all a bunch of racists or some such.
If it was me, I'd have trouble making friends everywhere. That hasn't been the case.

Then again, I have only lived in Saskatchewan. I have visited, but not lived, in other places in Canada. I didn't spend enough time in other provinces to form an opinion one way or another. But my experiences in SK have been very illuminating.
I'm not your stereotypical "hang out with my own kind, speak my own language, eat only my own food and live in my own bubble" type of immigrant at all. I've gone out of my way to be friendly, kind and open-minded, and have been shot down 9 times out of 10.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:01 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Here's a map of the friendliest and least friendliest countries

A surprising map of the countries that are most and least welcoming to foreigners
Isn't it really a map of how friendly people perceive themselves to be?

The WEF gathered the data from late 2011 through late 2012 by asking respondents, "How welcome are foreign visitors in your country?"

Old 12-15-2013, 03:40 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Isn't it really a map of how friendly people perceive themselves to be?

The WEF gathered the data from late 2011 through late 2012 by asking respondents, "How welcome are foreign visitors in your country?"
No one would take any heed if it was based on just how people perceive themselves to be. Part of it is that people were graded on their attitude to tourists. Here is a quote.

A new report on global tourism from the World Economic Forum (WEF) has compiled a list of which countries welcome travelers and which are not so tourist-friendly. The Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report 2013 examines 140 countries based on attractiveness and competitiveness in the travel and tourism industry.

But included in the more than 500-page report are grades for the local attitude toward tourists, the Washington Post points out. Iceland, New Zealand and Morocco took the top three spots, respectively, while Bolivia, Venezuela and Russia were found to be the most-unfriendly nations toward vacationers. Iceland ranked 16th overall in Travel and Tourism Competitive Index, while New Zealand came in 12th.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:44 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
What an idiotic thread. Every country in the world has both friendly and unfriendly people, so division countries into "friendly" and "unfriendly" is completely meaningless.

rubbish , some nations are naturally more friendly in the common understanding of the word

most friendly nation ive met are thai

least friendly were hungarians by a country mile

Old 12-15-2013, 05:52 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
rubbish , some nations are naturally more friendly in the common understanding of the word
but there is no commonly accepted definition of the word.

For some people, having people smile at you on the street, and saying hello and bye at the grocery store and pharmacy, count as friendliness. I couldn't care less about that fluff. What matters to me is how genuine they are, without ulterior motives.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:56 AM

76 posts, read 147,339 times
Call me crazy, but in my opinion NYC is the most friendliest place i ever been too, i know its not a country but the people are very welcoming, i dont know why city has a stereotype of people pushing each other and such, the people start conversations with me all the time, they complement me, they say hi to me, it may not seem like a welcoming city at first but after awhile you actually start running into the same place at coffee shops and other places.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:50 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:

Oh come on... Most of what you are saying here is based on stereotypes and some weird anecdotes. There is no way you can say whole nations are generally unfriendly...

If so, I'd have to say that Americans are the least friendly just because I came across two shopkeepers who were pissed by the fact that a friend of mine and me were speaking German in front of them. But I don't have to tell you that that would be an incredibly stupid thing to do...

That said, after traveling around quite a bit, I've never been to a country were people were generally unfriendly... Sure, customer service varies and sometimes communication was difficult because of the lack of a common language. But interpreting that as general unfriendliness would be foolish.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:00 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,455,466 times
Quote:

There are some tendencies, but not rules that "everyone in country X must be warm and friendly/rude and unfriendly". You think that there are no unfriendly people in Thai or friendly in Hungary at all?

Old 12-15-2013, 07:24 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,818 times
This poll doesn't make sense,people are friendlier when you have money,they get angry and upset when you don't have anything to offer.
There is no such friendliest people just for the fun of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World