U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 10:48 AM

16,539 posts, read 24,010,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Not the style or genre. Britney Spears' first hits were classic Europop. Only Girl by Rihanna is also typical European in style.
I did like their early stuff a lot better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 11:07 AM

14,873 posts, read 19,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
While I agree that some American business models are extremely popular, I don't get why people think we are Americanised because of that. I mean, do you people think that you are Austrian/Thai just because you are sipping a Red Bull? I don't think so...
No one is saying you are Americanized except for you.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:41 AM

5,804 posts, read 6,596,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Um..yeah because those generes are hybrid generes that were created in the US if I may use the same logic I've seen others use in this thread. Pop is a fusion of Rock N Roll and Soul. Electronic Dance is a subgenre of House Music which was invented in Detroit. Eurodance, which is my favorite type of music by the way, contains elements of Disco, House and often Hip-hop. Disco and Hip-Hop were born in New York City.
The origins of EDM is European (Popcorn by the German Gershon Kingsley).

From Wikipedia:

Europop refers to a style of pop music that first developed in today's form in Europe, throughout the late 1970s. Europop topped the charts throughout the 1980s and 1990s. Many successful Europop artists came from France, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland and the United Kingdom, but most were Swedish in origin.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:46 AM

1,274 posts, read 1,034,828 times
Do some of you Americans realise there was a strong tradition of music in countries before the US even existed which has served as a foundation for much of what we listen to today? Yes, a few genres here and there have apparently sprung up in the US but dig a little deeper and you'll find the roots are buried elsewhere.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:12 PM

5,804 posts, read 6,596,216 times
Naah. Even God is American.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Do some of you Americans realise there was a strong tradition of music in countries before the US even existed which has served as a foundation for much of what we listen to today? Yes, a few genres here and there have apparently sprung up in the US but dig a little deeper and you'll find the roots are buried elsewhere.
Yes we know, i sowwy don't mean to make you guys feel left out..

This isn't meant to be so complicated, all of our family origins can probably be traced back to Africa but you won't catch me telling people i'm African American. i'm American.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
The origins of EDM is European (Popcorn by the German Gershon Kingsley).

From Wikipedia:

Europop refers to a style of pop music that first developed in today's form in Europe, throughout the late 1970s. Europop topped the charts throughout the 1980s and 1990s. Many successful Europop artists came from France, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland and the United Kingdom, but most were Swedish in origin.
EDM is a broad term. I was speaking more of the techno based stuff which was born in Detroit, by way of Chicago but that's a different sound.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Well, duh! It's all based on western music theory which has it's origins of course in Europe. There's a reason most musical terms as well as vocal training techniques are Italian.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:15 PM

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was written by an American.

Random European: "Wahh! but a Swiss invented the pencil!!! don't forget to include us!! wahhh!"

Old 12-22-2013, 01:25 PM

24,257 posts, read 20,845,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was written by an American.

Random European: "Wahh! but a Swiss invented the pencil!!! don't forget to include us!! wahhh!"
Eurodance was invented by Europeans.

Random American: "WAHH! but an American invented Detroit techno!!! don't forget to include us!! wahhh!"

BTW, the oldest EDM genre, musique concrète, was invented by the French.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World