U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 01:31 PM

14,873 posts, read 19,037,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Eurodance was invented by Europeans.

Random American: "WAHH! but an American invented Detroit techno!!! don't forget to include us!! wahhh!"

BTW, the oldest EDM genre, musique concrète, was invented by the French.
That's Amazing!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 01:32 PM

16,539 posts, read 24,022,084 times
You know, talking to Europeans in real life, I have frequently heard them say how things have become Americanized and they don't say it in any disparaging way. Some seem to almost like it. However these forums exist in a parallel universe where what reality to everyone else is now debatable. So, sense we are going to split hairs here:

American culture came from various places. the English can't take credit because they came from the Anglo-Saxons who would have come from some other Germanic tribe who would have come from whomever the Roamans encountered. Likely decedent from Babarians or Goths who, if you go back far enough were decendent from the first cave men in Ice Age Europe who came from the first people to migrate into Europe. Their ancestors would have migrated out of Northern Africa who in turn will have come from the rift valley where everyone was originally subsaharan African. So Everything was invented by subsaharan Africans in exile. So Americans nor Europeans didn't invent squat, Africans did. There, problem solved.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:41 PM

11,261 posts, read 14,276,725 times
^^ Sounds about right.

Bravo, Gentoo. Bravo!

Old 12-22-2013, 01:52 PM

16,539 posts, read 24,022,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
^^ Sounds about right.

Bravo, Gentoo. Bravo!
thank you, thank you

Old 12-22-2013, 01:52 PM

1,274 posts, read 1,035,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Well, duh! It's all based on western music theory which has it's origins of course in Europe. There's a reason most musical terms as well as vocal training techniques are Italian.
My point was not a lot of people on here appear to realise that! The "duh" should be targeted towards those people.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
You know, talking to Europeans in real life, I have frequently heard them say how things have become Americanized and they don't say it in any disparaging way. Some seem to almost like it. However these forums exist in a parallel universe where what reality to everyone else is now debatable. So, sense we are going to split hairs here:

American culture came from various places. the English can't take credit because they came from the Anglo-Saxons who would have come from some other Germanic tribe who would have come from whomever the Roamans encountered. Likely decedent from Babarians or Goths who, if you go back far enough were decendent from the first cave men in Ice Age Europe who came from the first people to migrate into Europe. Their ancestors would have migrated out of Northern Africa who in turn will have come from the rift valley where everyone was originally subsaharan African. So Everything was invented by subsaharan Africans in exile. So Americans nor Europeans didn't invent squat, Africans did. There, problem solved.

I find it sad that posters have to dig this deep when this thread was simply supposed to be about typical American things like Hollywood, iPods, Levi's, Football, Basketball, Drive in restaurants, etc...

Old 12-22-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Now that I DO agree with

Old 12-22-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I find it sad that posters have to dig this deep when this thread was simply supposed to be about typical American things like Hollywood, iPods, Levi's, Football, Basketball, Drive in restaurants, etc...
Football? Invented by the English :P

Old 12-22-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Football? Invented by the English :P
No... Africans i guess.
or (if you're religious) maybe God invented football.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:09 PM

Seriously though, and I made this point in a similar thread several months ago in a similar thread (I even posted pics!), walk down any high street in London (or any other large city in the UK), while you will most likely see a Starbucks, McDonalds or Pizza Hut, you're also likely to see dozens more examples of fast-food, cafes and restaurants from other cultures, which to me is an example of globalisation than Americanisation. Yes, Americanisation might exist, but it does so alongside everything else and certainly doesn't overwhelm it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World