U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 02:15 PM

11,261 posts, read 14,249,039 times

Advertisements

Actually, football as us North Americans know it is not an American thing by itself. It is a mix of American and Canadian rules.
Now I hate to quote wiki, but this first part gives a good run down:

Football was introduced to North America in Canada by the British Army garrison in Montreal, which played a series of games with McGill University.[1] In 1874, USA's Harvard University hosted Canada's McGill University to play the new game derived from Rugby football in a home and home series. When the Canadians arrived several days early, in order to take advantage of the trip to see Boston and the surrounding areas, they held daily practices. During this time the Americans were surprised to see the Canadians kick, chase, and then run with the ball. Picking up and running with the ball violated a basic rule of the American game of the day; when the US captain (Henry Grant) pointed this out to the captain of the Canadian team (David Roger) the reply was simple: Running with the ball is a core part of the Canadian game. When the American asked which game the Canadians played, David replied "Rugby". After some negotiation it was decided to play a game with half and half Canadian/US rules. Thus many of the similarities and differences between the Canadian and American games indeed came out of this original home and home series where each home team set the rules. For instance, Harvard, because of a lack of campus space, did not have a full-sized rugby pitch. Their pitch was only 100 yards (91 m) long by 50 yards (46 m) wide with undersized endzones (slightly less than the 53⅓-yard width of the current regulation size for American Football). Because of the reduced field, the Harvard team opted for 11 players per side, four fewer than the regulation 15 of Rugby Union. To generate more offense, Harvard also increased the number of downs from 3, as set by McGill, to 4. Furthermore, the Harvard players so enjoyed running with the ball that this rule was wholly adopted into all Harvard play following the two games with McGill. While the American team bested the Canadian (3-0 and a following tie game), both countries' flavours of football were forever changed and linked to one another. Both the Canadian and American games still have some things in common with the two varieties of rugby, especially rugby league, and because of the similarities, the National Football League (NFL) has established a formal relationship with the Canadian Football League (CFL).

Comparison of American and Canadian football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 02:16 PM

24,257 posts, read 20,807,349 times
Europeans invented:

- the Christian God
- democracy
- the constitution
- cowardice
- medieval castles
- French
- English
- World wars
- European arrogance
- rudeness
- the railroad
- everything that's "old"

Americans invented:

- jeans
- drive-through
- the airplane
- the internet
- school massacres
- rock 'n' roll
- extreme obesity
- nuclear weapons
- modern refrigerators
- American arrogance
- extroversion
- everything that's "new"

Old 12-22-2013, 02:19 PM

16,539 posts, read 23,984,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
My point was not a lot of people on here appear to realise that! The "duh" should be targeted towards those people.
it sort of was. I said that in general not really toward you. I can be unclear like that at times, sorry.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:22 PM

1,274 posts, read 1,033,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
it sort of was. I said that in general not really toward you. I can be unclear like that at times, sorry.
oh ok, no prob

Old 12-22-2013, 02:22 PM

14,873 posts, read 19,008,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Seriously though, and I made this point in a similar thread several months ago in a similar thread (I even posted pics!), walk down any high street in London (or any other large city in the UK), while you will most likely see a Starbucks, McDonalds or Pizza Hut, you're also likely to see dozens more examples of fast-food, cafes and restaurants from other cultures, which to me is an example of globalisation than Americanisation. Yes, Americanisation might exist, but it does so alongside everything else and certainly doesn't overwhelm it.
and no one is denying that.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:30 PM

7,652 posts, read 16,310,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Eurodance was invented by Europeans.

Random American: "WAHH! but an American invented Detroit techno!!! don't forget to include us!! wahhh!"

BTW, the oldest EDM genre, musique concrète, was invented by the French.
I won't deny that Europeans invented Eurodance, that's a fact. I actually thought though, as a little kid, that La Bouche, Amber, 2 Unlimited, etc. were American, as their singers sounded like African-Americans and they had rap in them.

And EDM stands for "electronic dance music". I've never seen nor heard nor read of anyone dancing to musique concrète.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:10 PM

5,801 posts, read 6,584,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I won't deny that Europeans invented Eurodance, that's a fact. I actually thought though, as a little kid, that La Bouche, Amber, 2 Unlimited, etc. were American, as their singers sounded like African-Americans and they had rap in them.
I think you forgot Snap! . The German group featured the American rapper Turbo B. 2 Unlimited, Aqua and others just copied the formula.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
The term Eurodance was coined in the US In La Bouche, Melanie Thorton is American but the music was not produced in the US. Amber I believe is Dutch so is the rapper in 2 Unlimited, Pieter Slijnhaard. Eurodance does often have Black American rappers such as Captain Hollywood and Snap had rapper Chill Rob G. I think you all missed my point and you will never get it so I'm done attempting to educate.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:48 PM

5,801 posts, read 6,584,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The term Eurodance was coined in the US In La Bouche, Melanie Thorton is American but the music was not produced in the US. Amber I believe is Dutch so is the rapper in 2 Unlimited, Pieter Slijnhaard. Eurodance does often have Black American rappers such as Captain Hollywood and Snap had rapper Chill Rob G. I think you all missed my point and you will never get it so I'm done attempting to educate.
Not all Eurodance groups featured rap. Black Box was probably the first popular Eurodance group of the late 80s. The most successful producers, like the Swede Max Martin, continued their success in the US with Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears.

Stop trying to educate others online. It does not work.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Not all Eurodance groups featured rap. Black Box was probably the first popular Eurodance group of the late 80s. The most successful producers, like the Swede Max Martin, continued their success in the US with Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears.

Stop trying to educate others online. It does not work.
Who said all Eurodance included rap? Who are you responding to while quoting me? I know Eurodance far far better than you're aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World