Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 04:02 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
As a musician, please explain that last part to me. Not yet saying you're wrong, just want to see if there is something I may have overlooked.
A few examples:

Rihanna: Diamonds, S&M, What's My Name, Only Girl (in the World) and Rude Boy are all written/produced by the Norwegian production team Stargate. We Found Love was written and produced by the Brit Calvin Harris.

Katy Perry: Fireworks was produced by Stargate. The Swede Max Martin has produced/written several hits: Roar, Teenage Dream, I Kissed a Girl, California Gurls.

Britney Spears: Most of her hits are made by Max Martin and other Swedes (Baby One More Time, (You Drive Me) Crazy, Sometimes, Stronger, Ooops!... I Did it Again, Lucky, I'm a Girl, Not Yet a Woman, Toxic.

Lady Gaga: Born This Way was co-written/produced by a Dane, Applause was co-written by a Dutch++.

+++
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 05:29 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
A few examples:

Rihanna: Diamonds, S&M, What's My Name, Only Girl (in the World) and Rude Boy are all written/produced by the Norwegian production team Stargate. We Found Love was written and produced by the Brit Calvin Harris.

Katy Perry: Fireworks was produced by Stargate. The Swede Max Martin has produced/written several hits: Roar, Teenage Dream, I Kissed a Girl, California Gurls.

Britney Spears: Most of her hits are made by Max Martin and other Swedes (Baby One More Time, (You Drive Me) Crazy, Sometimes, Stronger, Ooops!... I Did it Again, Lucky, I'm a Girl, Not Yet a Woman, Toxic.

Lady Gaga: Born This Way was co-written/produced by a Dane, Applause was co-written by a Dutch++.

+++
I see what your getting at but the musical styles and genres still were created in the US.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Americans are always the first to suffer new waves of Americanism. Of course we call it Californication.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Americans are always the first to suffer new waves of Americanism. Of course we call it Californication.
A lot of it does start in California LOL

Old 12-22-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
I see what your getting at but the musical styles and genres still were created in the US.
Not Europop, electronic, dance, etc.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:12 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,590,154 times
Quote:
By US musicians and marketed by americans and all in english.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
By US musicians and marketed by americans and all in english.
Not the style or genre. Britney Spears' first hits were classic Europop. Only Girl by Rihanna is also typical European in style.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:00 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Speaking from a European and Asian perspective ...

In Ireland, America has always been a place where the natives would go to when times got rough. In fact the population of Ireland still hasn't recovered since ... well, the British came. And that was centuries ago. Anyway, a running joke is that Ireland imports stuff from America that Irish or Irish descended people made so the trade deficit is evened out (har har I'll be here all week!). The blunt way of saying it is that Ireland exports people and imports stuff.

It's funny though, one reverse cultural import was St. Patrick's Day. Before 2000, St. Patrick's was never a day that most Irish did anything but go to church, do some praying, and take the day off early. It wasn't much really. Then one year the government thought it be great fun to adopt the Irish-American way of celebrating it ... big, flashy parade, and lots of drinking. Ironically this is an American thing too as most Irish parades or celebrations were mostly local schools or bagpipers coming out. Very low key, or used to be.

Like Britain, many things in Ireland are influenced by America - movies, food, etc. The cultural exchange between the three countries has always existed and is unique in the world.

Switching over to Asia now, Japan specifically. Japan picked up on America's love of cars big time, in many ways surpassed it, but in many ways took up the European roadster and tough, winding roads rather than the open, straight highway of America. Japan also picked up on pizza, fast food, but like all things, adapted it to their tastes, and thankfully, their stomachs (fast food portion sizes are almost literally half what they are in America). Movies too, to the extent that their style has been influenced by American movies. Hollywood A-list studded movies rake in big bucks, as do their musicians, but Japanese musicians and movies hold their own on their home turf. A more recent import from America is the style of home.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:57 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
Glad we agree, now this means that either a. American businesses are better at business or b. other countries seem to prefer American businesses. While there has been globalization, it would be foolish to believe that the lions share in the most foreign markets is not American.
While I agree that some American business models are extremely popular, I don't get why people think we are Americanised because of that. I mean, do you people think that you are Austrian/Thai just because you are sipping a Red Bull? I don't think so...

Old 12-22-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Not Europop, electronic, dance, etc.
Um..yeah because those generes are hybrid generes that were created in the US if I may use the same logic I've seen others use in this thread. Pop is a fusion of Rock N Roll and Soul. Electronic Dance is a subgenre of House Music which was invented in Detroit. Eurodance, which is my favorite type of music by the way, contains elements of Disco, House and often Hip-hop. Disco and Hip-Hop were born in New York City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World